Rockport/ Aransas Pass Area

koupe1447

Rockport/ Aransas Pass Area

Post by koupe1447 »

Hey guys! I am new to this forum and also a little new to saltwater fishing. I have been an avid bass fisherman for most my life and now I'm loving this inshore thing way more. I have gone out a few times down to port mansfield and baffin but not the rockport/ aransas pass area. I have researched a little and found some general things about the area, but I was hoping you guys may be able to point me to the right place. I just wanna find a few keeper reds or specs to keep and just go have fun. I will be down the first weekend of october with my wife and her family. We are getting a house in rockport that I think has a dock kinda in the City by the Sea area.

Thanks!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Rockport/ Aransas Pass Area

Post by texnomad »

Will you be in a yak, shore fishing, wading or what?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

The above question as to your platform might help narrow down suggestions. But since this is a kayak site, I'll assume kayak. Literally, paddle across the ICW (wary of speeding boats) and you'll be on a massive grass flat that should be full of reds and flounder in October, depending on tide levels. Also, heading down to 361, the highway out to the Port A ferry, you will have a series of put-ins starting with Stedman Island to the south and Hogg Island to the north. All around those areas can be good at times.
koupe1447

Post by koupe1447 »

I'll be in a yak! and then the typical topwater? jig head with swimbait? Are there any specific colors down there that work quite well or just try to match the hatch? or do they just gulp em' in?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The pearl wildeye shad has been best for me in the last couple of years. However the H&H glow chartreuse tail shrimp has been running a close second. Either one under a popping cork works well also. I don't fish at night so others will have to advise on that time period.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

lots of good lures and swimbaits for the area.
Tackle Town in Rockport/Fulton is a great place to visit, and Roy's in Corpus, just a way up SPID.
Slow Ride in Aransas Pass guides small kayak groups.
some of my most productive are cocahoe minnow, shiney hiney, and TSL Grasswalker (check down on this forum)

White, red, chartreuse,pink, red tails, white tails, matching for clearwater, etc.

koupe1447

Post by koupe1447 »

Thanks for all the help guys!