Snook

matthew.miller

Snook

Post by matthew.miller »

My buddy caught a keeper snook(24 1/2") this weekend around Caney Creek. I've never seen one in Texas. Has anyone else been catching snook this year?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Snook

Post by karstopo »

Last year, I heard of several caught in a few area rivers and creeks. My buddy caught a low 20” something on a DSL tail. A few, some died in the freeze. But I guess some survived.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Congratulation to your buddy.
Only heard some people caught snooks in South padre.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Supposedly some folks catch them in west bay area. No idea where or how but I've seen pictures
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

this is the best time of year for snook - the heat of summer.
Tide passes on a falling tide are hard to beat.
Lower Laguna Madre has a very good population, with around boat docks on Arroyo Colorado one of the best places to find numbers.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I love snook. Almost as much as I love bonefish. Ascencion bay is where I've had the best luck. Twelve to fifteen pounders on an 8wt is a kick and a half. There is always a chance of running into a thirty pounder there, but I've never had the pleasure of doing so.

While fishing off of a dock under the lights in the Arroyo Colorado, I've landed several small snook. The first time I landed one there, after catching specs all night, I wasn't sure what it was.

My PACK group has fished for snook near Port Isabel and had mixed results. I've never been able to join them on that trip.
JMS

Post by JMS »

Caught a small one at Packers Channel jetty couple years back, only about 15 inches but I was pretty excited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Caught a small one in a cast net down at the Mansfield jetty a few years ago.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

matthew.miller wrote:My buddy caught a keeper snook(24 1/2") this weekend around Caney Creek. I've never seen one in Texas. Has anyone else been catching snook this year?
Did he eat it?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There are quite a few fat snook caught on the upper Texas Coast.. I've found they are mostly caught in the spring and fall as they move in toward the rivers and back out in the fall. A rare few (but increasing) catches of the larger Common Snook are being caught as well. There are a few guys that know how to catch them and where and a few accidents as well. I hope they continue to make comebacks. I'd love to see them have a fishable population on the upper coast, right now it's very small, but big enough that if you know what you're doing you can catch a couple.
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

No
Snook
In
Chocolate :)