Viking Kayaks?

AHP

Viking Kayaks?

Post by AHP »

So it has been over 5 years since I have been on the board and I am thinking of getting back into it.
After reading a bit, I was looking for an old kayak that I had my eyes on. Viking Kayaks!

Until I read this: Say what???
http://www.vikingkayaksusa.com/blog/new ... ayaks-usa/

It's been about 6 months since the last post and nothing. Anyone have any new news?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Viking Kayaks?

Post by Neumie »

Not too much to add definitively, but I the reason they're able to offer a lower price is due to manufacturing being moved to Mexico. Not that that's a bad thing. If I were ever in the market for a new kayak Viking would be near the top of the list.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I test paddled one of the Reload Z's(15'?) at a Roy's Paddlefest and it was a rocket ship!. Way too big for a short marsh paddler like me, but I was very impressed. I couldn't reach the rudder pedals!
Recently, I saw Ryan at a launch and he told me the MSRP was coming down on the Vikings. I didn't know they were moving their manufacturing to Mexico. It's hard to make something light, full of air, ship it 18,000 miles to the U.S. and compete with the domestic builders, so the NZ to MX move is not hard to grasp. Good luck to them. Great yaks! I would love to have one(or two) of them.

TexasJim
AHP

Post by AHP »

O good news! Thanks for the reply's.
On a side note I emailed vikingkayakusa.com and got a response.
The customer service person mentioned that they should be rolling out yaks around mid July and again 3 weeks later.

Glad to hear the price is coming down too, had my yak lost or stolen during the storm, nevertheless it was a bad time for all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ryan is a neighbor and a friend. Nothing but good things to say about him. He is a local guide that has always believed in Viking kayaks.
Its real easy to figure out. Test it on a demo day. If you like it get it.
In my case my old bones need some sort of suspended seat as opposed to a padded seat.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

I've only seen one Viking on the water, and, when I was told what they cost, I couldn't believe it. I mean it was nice, but about double what you could get from another major manufacturer. To each their own.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Tombo wrote:Ryan is a neighbor and a friend. Nothing but good things to say about him. He is a local guide that has always believed in Viking kayaks.
Its real easy to figure out. Test it on a demo day. If you like it get it.
In my case my old bones need some sort of suspended seat as opposed to a padded seat.
We rented a viking from Ryan a couple years ago. I liked it. And he gave us a couple of spot suggestions that put the young'uns on fish. It was a great trip and a great guy. I still plan to get down there and fish that side of Aransas or copano with him.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I HATE having things in front of me sticking up on my kayak, hanging up on everything, from paddle and rod leashes to my fishing line. When I saw the first Viking, I noticed the forward, angle-mounted flush rod holders. So, I ordered two and mounted them on my Pescador 12, just forward of my paddle stroke. I got rid of the Scotty holder that was always tangling everything. They work great, and when I'm making a quick move to a new spot, my little Bruce anchor slides into one, out of the way, but ready to re-deploy. Great idea, Kiwi's!
Their kayaks have some real thought put into them. If I were changing kayaks, they would be my first place to look.

TexasJim
the fish finder

Post by the fish finder »

All my friends who own viking kayaks say the seat hurts your butt
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

I have a Profish Reload, and it's a great kayak. I fish in marshes and usually paddle around 5-7 miles per trip. The seat doesn't "hurt your butt" any more than any other kayak. You could always buy a cushion of some sort if you need to... The Profish Reload is fast AND stable, which makes it kind of rare in my book. When I say stable, I mean I can stand and push myself around the marsh (just for reference I'm 6'3"/210lbs). I wouldn't try fishing from a standing position in it. It is also pretty light which makes it easy to load/unload. I would definitely recommend getting the tackle pod for it too. Somebody mentioned above that they were expensive, but I actually thought quite the opposite. It was certainly cheaper than the Kraken and Cudas I've had. I guess if you get all the extra stuff with it (tackle pod, fish pod, rudder, etc.), it would be expensive, but so would any brand of kayak. I do not have a rudder on mine, I don't plan on getting one. It tracks and turns fine without one. It's just an all-around good kayak, in my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
AHP

Post by AHP »

the fish finder wrote:All my friends who own viking kayaks say the seat hurts your butt
They might have big butts. We tend to get those as we get older.
txbrett wrote:I have a Profish Reload, and it's a great kayak. I fish in marshes and usually paddle around 5-7 miles per trip. The seat doesn't "hurt your butt" any more than any other kayak. You could always buy a cushion of some sort if you need to... The Profish Reload is fast AND stable, which makes it kind of rare in my book. When I say stable, I mean I can stand and push myself around the marsh (just for reference I'm 6'3"/210lbs). I wouldn't try fishing from a standing position in it. It is also pretty light which makes it easy to load/unload. I would definitely recommend getting the tackle pod for it too. Somebody mentioned above that they were expensive, but I actually thought quite the opposite. It was certainly cheaper than the Kraken and Cudas I've had. I guess if you get all the extra stuff with it (tackle pod, fish pod, rudder, etc.), it would be expensive, but so would any brand of kayak. I do not have a rudder on mine, I don't plan on getting one. It tracks and turns fine without one. It's just an all-around good kayak, in my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Absolutely!
I am always looking for a versatile yak. Will mostly do inshore fishing but wouldn’t mind trying out some BYB fishing.
Looking for something light, easy to transport, fast and stable.
If I remember correctly the next demo day should be around September or October, maybe I can ride one then.

Question do yak companies usually have good sales around the end of the year, kind of like car companies do around Jan and Feb?
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

AHP wrote:
the fish finder wrote:All my friends who own viking kayaks say the seat hurts your butt
They might have big butts. We tend to get those as we get older.
txbrett wrote:I have a Profish Reload, and it's a great kayak. I fish in marshes and usually paddle around 5-7 miles per trip. The seat doesn't "hurt your butt" any more than any other kayak. You could always buy a cushion of some sort if you need to... The Profish Reload is fast AND stable, which makes it kind of rare in my book. When I say stable, I mean I can stand and push myself around the marsh (just for reference I'm 6'3"/210lbs). I wouldn't try fishing from a standing position in it. It is also pretty light which makes it easy to load/unload. I would definitely recommend getting the tackle pod for it too. Somebody mentioned above that they were expensive, but I actually thought quite the opposite. It was certainly cheaper than the Kraken and Cudas I've had. I guess if you get all the extra stuff with it (tackle pod, fish pod, rudder, etc.), it would be expensive, but so would any brand of kayak. I do not have a rudder on mine, I don't plan on getting one. It tracks and turns fine without one. It's just an all-around good kayak, in my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Absolutely!
I am always looking for a versatile yak. Will mostly do inshore fishing but wouldn’t mind trying out some BYB fishing.
Looking for something light, easy to transport, fast and stable.
If I remember correctly the next demo day should be around September or October, maybe I can ride one then.

Question do yak companies usually have good sales around the end of the year, kind of like car companies do around Jan and Feb?

You can get good deals during the Boat Show I know for sure. I think they offer deals at demo days as well, but I've never been so I cannot verify. Call Austin Canoe & Kayak (ACK). They were helpful when I bought mine.
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

I own a profish 400, and when I go out with friends or family, I have to take breaks to let them catch up to me. Look at a top down picture of a viking kayak, and you can tell it was built for paddling efficiency.
AHP

Post by AHP »

So does the viking yaks have a sail option? I thought I saw something that was after market for a sail option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
vincegarcia11

Post by vincegarcia11 »

Yeah, look up a wind sail. You can put them on any kayak. I have 3 Viking kayaks, 2 profish 400s and a reload Z. Girlfriend uses a Hobie Revo 11 and I have to slow down for her to keep up. Pretty sure all I’ll ever buy for myself will be Vikings. If anyone wants to try one out for a day in corpus just let me know and maybe we can set something up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AHP

Post by AHP »

vincegarcia11 wrote:Yeah, look up a wind sail. You can put them on any kayak. I have 3 Viking kayaks, 2 profish 400s and a reload Z. Girlfriend uses a Hobie Revo 11 and I have to slow down for her to keep up. Pretty sure all I’ll ever buy for myself will be Vikings. If anyone wants to try one out for a day in corpus just let me know and maybe we can set something up

Might have to take you up on that. Thanks for the help.
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Thanks for all the support for Viking Kayaks. Yes they are still being brought in and yes the price has dropped to around the $1500 range for the Reload and this is INCLUDING the toe control rudder system. Most other guys want you to add that on with an upcharge. The next shipment is hitting Roy's in time for the Rey del Mar tournament and Florida is getting resupplied in a few weeks. There was a bit of downtime during the transition of import/distribution but that is over. VIKINGS are here to stay.
AHP

Post by AHP »

rockportkayak wrote:Thanks for all the support for Viking Kayaks. Yes they are still being brought in and yes the price has dropped to around the $1500 range for the Reload and this is INCLUDING the toe control rudder system. Most other guys want you to add that on with an upcharge. The next shipment is hitting Roy's in time for the Rey del Mar tournament and Florida is getting resupplied in a few weeks. There was a bit of downtime during the transition of import/distribution but that is over. VIKINGS are here to stay.
Thanks Rockportkayak,
Good to know and hopefully they go fast before August 4 & 5. I might have to make a trip down to take a look at them.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

AHP wrote:So it has been over 5 years since I have been on the board and I am thinking of getting back into it.
After reading a bit, I was looking for an old kayak that I had my eyes on. Viking Kayaks!

Until I read this: Say what???
http://www.vikingkayaksusa.com/blog/new ... ayaks-usa/

It's been about 6 months since the last post and nothing. Anyone have any new news?
Don't get one until they improve the seat. Iha d one for a year and after three hours my tailbone hurt so bad I'd have to get out. Get a yak with a hard-framed seat.
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Neumie wrote:Not too much to add definitively, but I the reason they're able to offer a lower price is due to manufacturing being moved to Mexico. Not that that's a bad thing. If I were ever in the market for a new kayak Viking would be near the top of the list.
They are still proudly made in New Zealand. Not sure where that Mexico rumor started.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

I have paddled with Doug a bunch & Ryan a few times and those are some fast yaks. If you gotta cover a lot of water they are awesome.

AHP

Post by AHP »

I think there are also seat pads incase you find yourself sitting in a boat for awhile.

Pick your poison
http://evacase.net/html_products/Curren ... r-243.html
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

rockportkayak wrote:
Neumie wrote:Not too much to add definitively, but I the reason they're able to offer a lower price is due to manufacturing being moved to Mexico. Not that that's a bad thing. If I were ever in the market for a new kayak Viking would be near the top of the list.
They are still proudly made in New Zealand. Not sure where that Mexico rumor started.
My mistake. Can't remember where I read that.