TroutSupport.com announcement - NEW TroutSupport TSL - Grass Walker Colors

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

TroutSupport.com announcement - NEW TroutSupport TSL - Grass Walker Colors

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Hey guys, just a quick announcement to let you know that I have a couple new colors out in the GrassWalker.

The first new color was requested, and named by Capt Trey Prye.. he's a big trout guide in Matagorda Bay. Coastal Gold
Its a great color in clear water grass flats and during the winter as well..

The next color is another long time favorite for both trout and redfish - many have been asking for this color for almost a year. PlumTreuse great in a lot of different water colors from Trout Green to Dirty.

For those of your that haven't seen the lure, here are a couple clips. It is important with any weedless rigged lure to set the hook differently than while using a jig head or treble hook bait. You have to set the hook hard enough and with a tighter drag to move the bait in the fishes mouth. I like to tighten my drag almost to the point where I can't pull any out... or thumb down on the spool during hookset. This will help your hook up ratio with all weedless rigged baits not just mine. Set the hook hard. I'm getting about a 90% + hook set ratio using a Trokar T140 or Owner Twistlock 5/0. Set the hook hard with any weedless rigged bait. Short, low energy hook sets on light drag only produce minimal energy that then get absorbed in our med light action rods; that's fine for a treble hook, but insufficient for a single hook weedless rigged bait. Hope that helps your hook up ratio with all bait brands; It's a category specific thing.

About the lure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIOcCIIuGtM

Methods to get the most out of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptwZeqF6Qvw
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: TroutSupport.com announcement - NEW TroutSupport TSL - Grass Walker Colors

Post by kickingback »

Awesome new colors! Gonna order me some soon! Thanks Tobin!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I like that plum one.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Yeah, the plum will be good in sandy and dirty water and also good in trout green water a little deeper. Will be great for Trinity, east, East Matty, and some others.

t
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Yeah, the plum will be good in sandy and dirty water and also good in trout green water a little deeper. Will be great for Trinity, east, East Matty, and some others.
Not sure how much effort it takes to add a new color to selection, but I'll suggest "pumpkin" color (with chartreuse tail). I tend to use this color quite often in Galveston bay complex. Like this (see color #6)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Crusader wrote:
TroutSupport.com wrote:Yeah, the plum will be good in sandy and dirty water and also good in trout green water a little deeper. Will be great for Trinity, east, East Matty, and some others.
Not sure how much effort it takes to add a new color to selection, but I'll suggest "pumpkin" color (with chartreuse tail). I tend to use this color quite often in Galveston bay complex. Like this (see color #6)
I've got it on the list for sure Crusader. Other colors on the list are red/white, tequila gold w/ chart, and some others. There is a time lag and some considerable financial cost to add a new color, but it's doable. I'd love to supply all the favorite colors that produce and maybe make some new ones too. It's just working them in. I'm trying to hack a natural mullet color this week, hope to review the injectors sample tomorrow or monday. It's going to be a very silvery base with an olive back and a black tail.. any redfish will surely not believe its not live. "I can't believe it's not butter" sort of thing. ;-)
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Soooo, not to detract from the success of the lure. But I used it yesterday around oyster and got my line cut off anyway >_<

had it on a swimbait hook, was only using 8lb floro leader which might have been the problem. Also the eye of the hook was exposed and snagged some grass!!

Am I doing something wrong or just having bad luck?

Also, I have to work the lure real slow because I had it weightless on the hook. I was working it like a jerk bait. i.e. Only make forward progress by popping it, reel in slack. Is that right? I got a nice bite but couldn't set the hook right. that or I snagged a wicked oyster :)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Chubs wrote:Soooo, not to detract from the success of the lure. But I used it yesterday around oyster and got my line cut off anyway >_<, had it on a swimbait hook, was only using 8lb floro leader which might have been the problem. Also the eye of the hook was exposed and snagged some grass!!
Oyster have arms bro.. they will reach out and cut your line. In all seriousness, Oysters have multiple ways to cut your line. I've seen line slip down between two oysters and then it's hung up when the knot or hook gets to that point.. but that happens with any lure. The grass walker highly reduces oyster hang ups.. think how many more baits you'd loose if using a jig head on the same reef.. it'd be hung up every cast. I've litterally thrown the GrassWalker onto dry oyster and pulled it in front of reds that were on the edge of the reef without getting hung up but you have to have a heavy enough leader to do so. see below.

8lb leader or main line is insufficient fishing around shallow oyster. At least use 20lb leader in shallow oyster areas and if you're really serious use 25lb leader in shallow oyster. Redfish, once hooked, like to root that sting in their lip into the bottom and they'll do it pretty successfully, without the proper leader size they will run your line across oyster and cut you off.

Chubs wrote:I have to work the lure real slow because I had it weightless on the hook. I was working it like a jerk bait. i.e. Only make forward progress by popping it, reel in slack. Is that right? I got a nice bite but couldn't set the hook right. that or I snagged a wicked oyster :)
Yes, you are pulling the lure.. technically you don't want to real up all the slack. Jay Watkins was the first to name the walk the dog rod movement calling it a slack line twitch. When you have all the slack reeled out you are actually pulling the bait.. not doing a slack line twitch. Pay attention to about the 1 minute mark of the following Youtube clip on how to walk any subsurface bait. It shows the proper rod movement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptwZeqF6Qvw

Also, there are other ways to work it, the walk the dog is great in shallow grass and shallow oyster but I use the slow pull and twitch like a bass worm or jerkbait a lot in potholes, or even a slow reel only too. Feeling fish and learning how to set the hook correctly while walking any subsurface bait will take most anglers some time practicing this method.. it took me some time as well. It's not easy, but not hard and just takes time to practice and get it right. This is with all walk the dog baits, fatboys, subwalks, mirrodines, softdines, ect ect. Keep the twitch very small, just like the video talks about.. this allows you to not notify the fish and gives you a better chance at feeling a fish on the line. Once you've felt a bump or the weight of a fish 'there' then slowly drop your rod tip toward the fish and reel up 2 cranks of line (don't put pressure on the fish while do this or they will drop the bait), then set the hook hard. Immediately after setting the hook, I back off the drag ( I start with tight drag to so that when I set the hook, the spool doesn't slip. The rod is already going to absorb a lot of energy, the line (if mono) will absorb some as well, if the drag is so loose that it slips on hookset then it too will only reduce the hook setting power and movement. We have to move the bait in the fishes mouth and if all our attempt does is bend the rod and slip line on the spool that is not going to move the bait in the fishes mouth. This is also true with big trout and FatBoys and Corkies as well.. I've lost a fish or two over time on fully trebble hooked lures that was due to a weak or ill timed hookset.. like trying to make a small quick hookset at the top of a rod movement. Big trout will hold a lure sufficiently that you won't set the hook even with a treble hooked lure.. so good hookset on all baits ok.

I get over a 90% hook up ratio with this method and it will help you with any weedless rigged bait. I use 25lb flouro carbon leader when in shallow Oyster or on rocks. I use a 20lb mono leader in the grass flats. I'm ok with a 12 leader in deep 6' + water over reefs when i'm only catching small to mid size trout.

Hope that helps Chubs
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hey this definitely helps. I'll go with a beefier leader line next time for sure.

That 8lb leader was just no match for oyster. I lost 1 TSL and about 4ea 1/8 oz jigheads :)

Thanks for the tip on working it over potholes vs around oyster lines as well. That makes sense.

I'm building confidence in the lure at least so lets see if I can land that 1st fish on it next time!

I love how this thing casts weightless for sure.

I suppose 1 other question, does the success rate of this lure tend to go down in summer? a slow retrieve I hear is always good for winter, but summer I've heard it advised you work your lures faster (and smaller).
Any plans for coming out with a mini-me TSL for summer? :)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

a lot of the better fishermen are hoping to keep the lure to them selves.. barely talking about it except sharing it with guys they are fishing with.. it's spreading 'grass roots' style.

Here's a couple of pics that were sent to my by a customer Chad Maywald

first one is, in his words a skinny 27, the other about 26. Chad is fishing Baffin hitting the deep edges of deep grass and scattered rocks near deeper water. Fish are staging on the edges early and then moving deeper in the middle part of the day. These two fish came on the TSL GrassWalker, bigger one on the Pink and the 26 was on the bone diamond. No wrong way to fish this lure but the deeper pockets calls for a slower / deeper retrieve. I like to use a slow pull more like working a bass worm and ad a twitch at the top. This is a great way to work the lure especially if an angler is new to working subsurface twitch baits. The above method gives the lure plenty action as it looks likea dying mullet but they either hit it on the fall or on the slow pull and it gives you plenty time to react and set the hook.

Ya'll have fun.
Attachments
Baffin Skinny 27.jpg
Baffin Skinny 27.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
Baffin 26.jpg
Baffin 26.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: :clap:
These are some excellent new colors and I can't wait to try them out on some BIG fish soon!
If Chad swears by them then you know they're good! Thanks Tobin!
I for one love these lures and the new Gold color will slay them well for sure!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Thanks Kicking back! I appreciate it.
Chubs wrote:1 other question, does the success rate of this lure tend to go down in summer? a slow retrieve I hear is always good for winter, but summer I've heard it advised you work your lures faster (and smaller).
Any plans for coming out with a mini-me TSL for summer? :)

The lure is actually made for summer. It's made for when the reds get on finger mullet on the flats and the better reds that are on shell are all eating finger mullet. Most of the reds in the marsh are all little juvi reds (there are exceptions, but lots of dinks) I've caught 28 and 30 inch reds on it around oyster (an occasional dink too). When i'm sightcasting it I just go more for reeling it slowly into their bite window. About a foot in front of them.. they'll typically attack anything that enters this area from the outside.. so a lot of action isn't required.. I do this all summer and into fall. When I'm blind casting I mix it up.. One cast I'll walk it, one cast is the slow pull with a twitch on the end, the next cast is a slow reel. Fish, and especially better quality fish love an easy meal. So many anglers make the mistake of speeding up in the summer when the better fish are waiting and will be triggered by an easy meal.. a slow dying, injured mullet. The fast retrieves work occasionally drawing a reaction out of instinct.. but they tend to be smaller fish. Small younger fish are easily excited and will out compete a better mid range fish so the better fish tend to just sit back and let the kids play.. but when a mullet shows up and tries to sneak across the zone because it's injured or sick.. those better fish eat. I'm also not talking about super super slow winter crawl I'm just talking about not working lures like they have a meth habit. I'm just saying.

So to specifically answer the question. The lure is made for summer and does well all summer.

Will we come out with something smaller for summer? We'd love to, but that all hinges on the success of this lure. Plus I have to use funds from this lure to fund any future design. Making lures is fun, making lures that work for fisherman and not just making something that's already out there takes work and time and lots and lots of resources and huge cost.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks, good info. Going to get me that plum color.

PS, you ought to put your store link in the original post for us lazy guys (maybe there is a rule against that though)
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

It's probably self explanatory, but do you have somewhere where you recommended what color to use under what conditions?

Would be nice on your website. I realize colors are more for the angler than the fish though lol. But every little margin helps I figure.

Just ordered plum, gold, and the original whodini.

1st fish I catch with one gets CPRed (unless he's a keeper!!!! :roll: )
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Color Chart..here's a simple one that shows corkies.. but it doesn't matter what it is lure wise.

Outside of that it really doesn't matter too much. Find hungry fish is still number one. I've broken just about all the rules in regards to color of lures. I've caught trout in the muddiest water there is on clear sparkle soft plastics and also caught them on black in clear water. The bigger factor is developing confidence in locating fish and secondarily putting some fait in the color you have on. My suggestion is finding 4 colors that are recommended for your area.. 2 light and 2 dark.. use the light colors or more natural colors in clearer water on brighter conditions. And use the darker colors on muddier conditions or closer to dark. SO from the ones you just got ... use the plum in muddier water / Use the gold or whodini in clearer water. The WhoDini would be great for early mornings in clearer water since its natural looking and sort of darker. The Bone is good in a wide range of conditions on the clearer side, and the roach is great is dirty water as well.

hope that helps Chubs.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks Tobin.

Ya I always hear it's size, then shape/ profile, then color.

All fish bellies are white/ bright so you can never go wrong with white (which I do still have some bone diamond TSL).
That said, I picked up the Whodini and Gold colored one for the clear water I normally notice around grass.

I got the purple cause I just love that color lure lol. Also I'd insta-buy a slime green + hot pink
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

FWIW, I have now caught trout on every color of TSL except Houdini. But in 'ol Houdini's defense, I have probably not cast that color more than 20 times, whereas Bone, Pink & Chicken on a Chain have been on the end of my line a lot more. A couple of weekends ago, on one wade of about 30 minutes, I threw Coastal Gold exclusively at grass shorelines in clear water over submerged grass and potholes and 4 reds loved it. If I spend any time on the deep shell reefs in East Bay this summer, Plumtreuse will be my opening act. Yet Bone Diamond has been the best producer for both trout and reds.

For Chubs sake, the first time I threw the TSLs, I was working it way too fast, and that was in 2 feet of water over grass beds. As soon as I slowed down, I started catching trout. To walk it, just slow your crank and shorten your twitch, to even less than you'd use for a Spook Jr. For me, it also helps that I use a side-stroke method (working my rod to the side instead of straight up in the air). Maybe or maybe not coincidental to the side stroke, my hook-up rate on the TSL has been near perfect. At least as good as a typical jig-head on a bass assassin.

As to getting grass hung up on the hook eye, that has happened to me. No bait is completely weedles. It's part of fishing grass. But the TSL brings back less grass than any other weedless baits I've used over grass beds, including weedless spoons and Buggs. I have had grass on both the eye and the hook, tho not a lot and not often. If I am getting it on the hook, I will barely poke the point of the hook down into the plastic and that is solved.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Yaklash wrote: If I am getting it on the hook, I will barely poke the point of the hook down into the plastic and that is solved.
Oh - so I take it you don't normally skin hook the bait? I thought that was required for it to be weedless.

I probably ought to watch Tobin's video on rigging - I just need to find 20 mins of uninterrupted time - hard with 2 kiddos running around :dance: :dance:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Yaklash is spot on.. if the grass is light, just push the hook down to the plastic, you don't have to skin the point. Spot On.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

More good catches on the lure keep rolling in. I'LL post in fishing report.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Another clear water color coming for the time of summer when reds start getting picky as the winds finally start to lay and the water gets clear... shouldn't be too long. I'll keep everyone posted.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Hey, Tobin. Fished Kellers bay first time few days ago -- trout and reds loved your bone-colored lure. Works like a charm over heavy grass (I rarely fish grassy flats -- typically mud/shell). Alas, all but few reds were dinks and when sun came up reds got really spooky. I've heard those rains flushed that area too much, big fish mostly left.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

bummer to hear the bigger fish left. But solid report no less. That Bone color is very consistent producer for sure, thanks Crusader.

t
txdbltap

Post by txdbltap »

Haven't tried the plumtruse yet but the flounder were hitting the pink pretty good. Heavy winds in an ultra skinny cut had the water looking like pure mud. Lure casted great even though weightless. All my misses came from impatient hook sets, which is always my issue with flounder lol. Thanks Tobin, I'll keep ordering.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I will never doubt your enthusiasm.