Trolling Motor Registration - Night Lights and Other Questions

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Trolling Motor Registration - Night Lights and Other Questions

Post by Drifting Yak »

Have taken the plunge and added a trolling motor to my PA-14 (using a Watersnake ASP T 24 lb thrust in the Mirage Drive slot and paired it with a 50 Ah LiFePO4 battery).

Went and registered the PA yesterday and on the way home I got to thinking about night lights. So, now that my yak is registered, do I have to have the red and green running lights up front like a normal boat? What if I am not using the trolling motor? Do I still have to comply?

Anything else special that I need to consider now that I have a "registered" kayak? (like do you have to have all of the other stuff as well - throw cushion, etc.??)

PS: The TPWD clerk asked for a pic of my yak's serial number. Luckily I had one on my phone so I email it to him during the registration process. I asked if that was a requirement because I've never seen that on their website. He said yes. So make sure to bring a pic of your serial number.

Thanks and tight lines!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Trolling Motor Registration - Night Lights and Other Questions

Post by Neumie »

Yes, you'll need the proper navigation lights. A word of caution I would not use the LED light strips popularly found on kayaks. Lights need to meet USCG standards, meaning the red and green lights can only be viewed from 0 deg to 112.5 deg on their respective side when viewed from ahead. (LINK). I'm not sure if you need lights if you're not using your trolling motor, but my hunch is since it's registered you need to be in compliance regardless if you are operating under power or not.

Since your kayak is less than 16' in length you do not need a Type IV throwable device. (TPWD § 31.066 (c)(2))
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I have always felt it was counter-productive to make people title and register battery-powered vessels, which are environmentally friendly. I went through my State Representative to see if there could be an exemption. I finally got the answer: Texas Parks & Wildlife gets a LOT of money from the Feds for boating, fish & wildlife, etc., and THEY( the Feds) dictate that all vessels with ANY power source be titled, (they claim) to help in Interstate tracking of stolen boats, etc.

So, in reality, it's (as usual) strictly about the money! It's always about the money. TexasJim
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Neumie - Figured as much and appreciate the information.

TexasJim - Agree wholeheartedly with you. Always though it was crazy to have to register because of a trolling motor. Shoot I can't even create a wake! :lol:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I believe you need the lights regardless of whether it is powered and / or registered or not. I got a ticket a long time ago on the water at night in a kayak. Ya'll check the regs on this.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Trolling Motor Registration - Night Lights and Other Questions

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

TroutSupport.com wrote:I believe you need the lights regardless of whether it is powered and / or registered or not. I got a ticket a long time ago on the water at night in a kayak. Ya'll check the regs on this.
I think you only need a 360 white light if not powered but need red n green navigation lights as well if it is powered. I haven't loomed that up but I'm pretty sure thats the requirement. I got a ticket once in a little 2 man "bassbuddy" boat for no lights and I think thats how the warden explained it to me. I actually was only out after dark in it because my TM battery died and I was having to drift with current back down the creek to my truck. The warden was kind enuf to tow me back in. It took a little bit of the sting out of getting the ticket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Trolling Motor Registration - Night Lights and Other Questions

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:
TroutSupport.com wrote:I believe you need the lights regardless of whether it is powered and / or registered or not. I got a ticket a long time ago on the water at night in a kayak. Ya'll check the regs on this.
I think you only need a 360 white light if not powered but need red n green navigation lights as well if it is powered. I haven't looked that up but I'm pretty sure thats the requirement. I got a ticket once in a little 2 man "bassbuddy" boat for no lights and I think thats how the warden explained it to me. I actually was only out after dark in it because my TM battery died and I was having to drift with current back down the creek to my truck. The warden was kind enuf to tow me back in. It took a little bit of the sting out of getting the ticket.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

The regs are clear. If motor(electric/gasoline) powered and under way it must have red/green front navigation lights per regs. All water craft up to a certain length must have a 360 light and smaller boats can use a flashlight if they have no 360 light.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

For those more visually inclined -

I have also seen the flashlight only regulation and have used that at times when of short duration and quiet location with limited traffic (e.g - just before dawn in home canals)
Attachments
0623181459.jpg
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I looked this up again, since my recollection was that this was not too clear. This from the TPWD site -

Canoes and Kayaks
See All Vessels section above for general safety requirements.
Paddling at night: Remember that you must carry one bright white light that can be exhibited in time to prevent a collision. It is recommended that you carry a lantern, flashlight, or other attached white light that will be visible from 360 degrees. Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.

And -

All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

There seem to be a lot of 'may' or 'recommended' sprinkled in here so a lot of wriggle room. But one that I take away is at a minimum a bright white light to avoid a collision - e.g., a flashlight or headlight. I have used a flashlight only on rare occassions, normally using a 360. I would think it unlikely that a flashlight only at the causeway would be acceptable.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

YakRunabout wrote:I looked this up again, since my recollection was that this was not too clear. This from the TPWD site -

Canoes and Kayaks
See All Vessels section above for general safety requirements.
Paddling at night: Remember that you must carry one bright white light that can be exhibited in time to prevent a collision. It is recommended that you carry a lantern, flashlight, or other attached white light that will be visible from 360 degrees. Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.

And -

All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

There seem to be a lot of 'may' or 'recommended' sprinkled in here so a lot of wriggle room. But one that I take away is at a minimum a bright white light to avoid a collision - e.g., a flashlight or headlight. I have used a flashlight only on rare occassions, normally using a 360. I would think it unlikely that a flashlight only at the causeway would be acceptable.
Don't know the source of the paragraph above, but the underlined sentence is incorrect. No such regulation exists. You want to check Chapter 31 of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code and the Rules of Navigation for the regulations. Every time the topic comes up on a forum a whole lot of misinformation gets printed. Read the actual laws yourself if you want the truth.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Hipshot - the 2 paragraphs are from the TPWD website. These are both very inconsistent in what they say and are anything but clear. I do not recall if they are from chapter 31, but they should at least be consistent with that chapter since this is the same group! I went to the TPWD site since they should have the correct information. These 2 paragraphs are what I found. If you have other information from their site then please post it so we may all be enlightened.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Who ever writes the content for TPWD website needs to be fired as there's always been contradicting information when it comes to what kayakers need to have to be legal.

Best bet is to read the actual Texas Water Safety Act: CLICK

Specifically Title 4 § 31.073 which states:
(a) All canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, sailboats, rubber rafts, and other paddle craft when paddled, poled, oared, or windblown are exempt from all safety equipment requirements except each vessel must have the following:
(1) one Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device for each person aboard; and
(2) the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for vessels and required under Section 31.064.
(a-1)Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a vessel described by that subsection, 24 Texas Water Safety Act except a canoe or kayak, that is 16 feet or more in length must be equipped with at least one Type IV personal flotation device of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commandant of the Coast Guard.

OK, so what do the Feds say regarding lighting?

It's found HERE under CFR Title 33 § 83.25 (aka "Rule 25") which states:
(d)(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all-round white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

My interpretation of the law is if you want to run red/green lights on a manually powered kayak you can, but it must follow the rules for sailboats under sail; side and stern lights only (no 360 white light, refer to the picture above). If you want to be legal you need a 360 deg white light or a flashlight exhibited in a timely manner.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Drifting Yak wrote:Anything else special that I need to consider now that I have a "registered" kayak? (like do you have to have all of the other stuff as well - throw cushion, etc.??)
Regarding regulations for a powered vessel less than 16' on most lakes and rivers you'll navigation lights defined for powered vessels between sunset and sunrise, a whistle or horn, and a Type I, II, III, or V PFD. When at the coast you'll need those items in addition to flares suitable for night time use between sunset and sunrise. (After rereading the law it doesn't appear you need to follow the regulations for a powered vessel when you leave your trolling motor at home and are paddling your craft; so the next paragraph states the rules for manually powered vessels)

Regarding regulations for manually powered vessels on most lakes and rivers you'll need a Type I, II, III, or V PFD and 360 light or flashlight between sunset and sunrise. For coastal waters you'll need those two items in addition to a whistle or horn and flares suitable for night time use between sunset and sunrise.