Current in West Galveston Bay & Sportman's Road Question

osorojotx

Current in West Galveston Bay & Sportman's Road Question

Post by osorojotx »

First off, thank you to the regulars who contribute and put out so much invaluable information for those looking to learn. I have been fishing saltwater since I was a young kid, but never fished Galveston regularly. I have a few questions:

1) I went down to check out the end of Sportman's road a few weeks ago and noticed "no parking" signs. Where would you park if you intend to launch from that site? It seems like the signs may be relatively new.

2) With regards to current in that same area - it's situated about equidistant between the channel and SLP. Where does the tide pull/push from in that area? I have been fishing a long time, but never really put a lot of emphasis on understanding current so I'm trying to learn that side of things to get better at finding fish. Is there a way to judge the current when you're out on the water? I find it tough to tell, especially when the wind is whipping.
screwston420

Re: Current in West Galveston Bay & Sportman's Road Question

Post by screwston420 »

you park about 300 feet from the end on the side without houses, youll see the dirt patches and no signs are not new, not sure about where current pulls in but if i had to guess id say a little of channel and slp both
parking area
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Current in West Galveston Bay & Sportman's Road Question

Post by TroutSupport.com »

It does get 'tide' from both the jetty cut (Galveston Ship Channel) and the pass. The larger volume comes from the ship channel so that's going to have more effect especially on stronger tide days. Don't forget that wind direction and barometer are all part of the equation. Also, I've found that since the tide movement is later thru San Luis pass, there is some delay and sometimes the water movement will do funny things. Lot's of factors to put together.

have fun