Sight Casting Schools of Slot Reds

kboy2379

Sight Casting Schools of Slot Reds

Post by kboy2379 »

Prior to me starting my YouTube channel, I have never seen schools of tailing reds until I met TrailChaser and MDLR. I’ve had the privilege to fish with these two great guys and have really learned a lot. These two guys are outstanding anglers. Two of the best I’ve had the pleasure to fish with. TrailChaser has eyes of a hawk and MDLR is a marsh expert himself. Anyhow, the link below is the newest video I posted fishing with these two fine gentlemen. I’m always up for criticism since I want to become a better kayak angler myself. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy!

Disclosure: I did not reveal the specific location on a map :-)

https://youtu.be/GjKdzzm827I
Last edited by kboy2379 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Sight Casting Schools of Slot Reds

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice Job. David (Trail Chasr is a great guy..) has a great channel too.

keep em coming .
kboy2379

Post by kboy2379 »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Nice Job. David (Trail Chasr is a great guy..) has a great channel too.

keep em coming .
Thanks! David said some nice things about you too! Appreciate the support. I will definitely post more often since I found this place so helpful!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice video. Like those multi spot reds :) Real interesting spot placement on the one at 9 min.

How much distance did yall cover? How many schools of tailers you think you guys saw, vs blind cast hookups?

Breif suggestion on the video, maybe just a tad long till my attention span runs out hehe. To me, around 10 mins seems like about the perfect length for a youtube video. Hard to horse in the fish though using ultra light setups.
kboy2379

Post by kboy2379 »

Chubs wrote:Nice video. Like those multi spot reds :) Real interesting spot placement on the one at 9 min.

How much distance did yall cover? How many schools of tailers you think you guys saw, vs blind cast hookups?

Breif suggestion on the video, maybe just a tad long till my attention span runs out hehe. To me, around 10 mins seems like about the perfect length for a youtube video. Hard to horse in the fish though using ultra light setups.
Thanks Chubs for the nice words and letting me know it’s a tad too long. I figure it might have been.

I personally saw 5 schools of reds in the shallow grass flats. It’s hard to get the GoPro to pick it up unless you have a good zoom DSLR which would prob not be a good idea to take out onto the water.

David saw about 7-8. The dude is the boss! True hawk eyes. We covered about 7 miles total. Maybe a little less. It was a good day.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Thanks for the kind words. Here's a little clip of one of the bigger schools we saw that day. My fishing video is still sitting in the editing bin waiting for me to get unlazy. lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkC-c-0nKXu ... railchaser
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

TrailChaser wrote:Thanks for the kind words. Here's a little clip of one of the bigger schools we saw that day. My fishing video is still sitting in the editing bin waiting for me to get unlazy. lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkC-c-0nKXu ... railchaser
That's some great video. For some reason, this year the reds are schooling in May and June like they normally don't do until the fall. It's been fun thus far.
kboy2379

Post by kboy2379 »

I’ve posted my newest video where I challenged myself to use a small spoon in the shallow,
murky, marsh. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/mdii7A_kwVA
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Do you really think that’s all that innovative? You need to read a book by Rudy Grigar named “Plugger”. People have been throwing spoons in the marsh for at least 70 years. I caught my first redfish on a spoon in the seventies, and I’d be willing to bet that more have been caught on spoons than all other artificial lures combined. They didn’t just start calling them redfish candy.
kboy2379

Post by kboy2379 »

Ultrastealth wrote:Do you really think that’s all that innovative? You need to read a book by Rudy Grigar named “Plugger”. People have been throwing spoons in the marsh for at least 70 years. I caught my first redfish on a spoon in the seventies, and I’d be willing to bet that more have been caught on spoons than all other artificial lures combined. They didn’t just start calling them redfish candy.
Never did I say a spoon was never used in the marsh in the history of fishing. Nor did I ever say it was “innovative”.

However, I did say I haven’t seen another youtuber post a video about using a small spoon in the marsh. The point of the video was to show kayak fishermen that a small/micro spoon will catch reds in the shallow murky marsh if he/she hadn’t known already.

Not sure where all this animosity is coming from. I have never revealed any of your spots. If us Youtubers vexes you so much, don’t watch them at all.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I enjoyed the video. I've not had luck with a spoon yet, but I normally default to a paddle tail on a jig head like everyone else heh.

I throw a 1/8oz weedless gold spoon. normally tipped with a grub type plastic, or gulp swimming mullet.
I hear the copper color is good too.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:I enjoyed the video. I've not had luck with a spoon yet, but I normally default to a paddle tail on a jig head like everyone else heh.

I throw a 1/8oz weedless gold spoon. normally tipped with a grub type plastic, or gulp swimming mullet.
I hear the copper color is good too.
Copper and gold work best for reds, silver for trout and spanish mackerel.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ultrastealth wrote:
Chubs wrote: Copper and gold work best for reds, silver for trout and spanish mackerel.
I tried a black one last night in muddy water with no luck.

How are you supposed to rig them btw. I had the weedless spoon connected to a swivel snap, with a yellow gulp 3" swimming mullet on the hook end.

The spoon was spinning upon retrieve which I can't imagine is what it's supposed to do. I was using a spinning rod and reel if that makes a difference.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote:
Chubs wrote: Copper and gold work best for reds, silver for trout and spanish mackerel.
I tried a black one last night in muddy water with no luck.

How are you supposed to rig them btw. I had the weedless spoon connected to a swivel snap, with a yellow gulp 3" swimming mullet on the hook end.

The spoon was spinning upon retrieve which I can't imagine is what it's supposed to do. I was using a spinning rod and reel if that makes a difference.
I don't add a tail to my spoons, because I believe that it detracts from the action. I use a good swivel with a Tony's twist attachment. I've found the regular snaps to be extremely unreliable, especially the safety pin variety.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ultrastealth wrote: I don't add a tail to my spoons, because I believe that it detracts from the action. I use a good swivel with a Tony's twist attachment. I've found the regular snaps to be extremely unreliable, especially the safety pin variety.
Thanks for the tips. I can't figure out what a Tony's twist attachment is :)
I see there are spoons called Tony's though. I'm using the Johnson spoons but they don't have any type of snap built into them. Just a hook welded onto a spoon head with the wire weed guard in line.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote: I don't add a tail to my spoons, because I believe that it detracts from the action. I use a good swivel with a Tony's twist attachment. I've found the regular snaps to be extremely unreliable, especially the safety pin variety.
Thanks for the tips. I can't figure out what a Tony's twist attachment is :)
I see there are spoons called Tony's though. I'm using the Johnson spoons but they don't have any type of snap built into them. Just a hook welded onto a spoon head with the wire weed guard in line.
You can only find the tony's at specialty fishing shops like FTU. The Texas Tackle Factory ones are not as reliable. You absolutely need a swivel. I usually buy the spoons that come with the swivel attached these days. I also recommend using the smallest spoon that you can cast well. I've caught a whole lot of really nice reds on the Johnson Silver Minnows in 1/8 ounce gold.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ah ok. So you even use a swivel with the Johnson Silver Minnow?

That is what I was using yesterday with the swivel but it was spinning around when I retrieved. I guess that is ok though.

I was working it by giving it a pop-pop, then reel in slack and let it sink. Sometimes I'd reel, get the line taut then pop it. Various retrieves.
When I got it close I noticed if I reeled it in on it's own it was spinning around. I generally think that a lure spinning around isn't a good thing (especially plastics on a jighead), unless it's mean to spin. I assumed spoons aren't meant to spin but I'm no expert.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:Ah ok. So you even use a swivel with the Johnson Silver Minnow?

That is what I was using yesterday with the swivel but it was spinning around when I retrieved. I guess that is ok though.

I was working it by giving it a pop-pop, then reel in slack and let it sink. Sometimes I'd reel, get the line taut then pop it. Various retrieves.
When I got it close I noticed if I reeled it in on it's own it was spinning around. I generally think that a lure spinning around isn't a good thing (especially plastics on a jighead), unless it's mean to spin. I assumed spoons aren't meant to spin but I'm no expert.
Most spoons are meant to wobble, but all of them spin to a certain extent, so you absolutely need a swivel. I generally use a straight retrieve, but it's good to experiment to see what the fish want that particular day. The best thing about spoons is that they allow you to cover a lot of water and find fish. Most of the better redfish tournament anglers shy away from spoons, because they say that they lose more fish on them. I haven't noticed that, but they catch a lot more big reds than I do, so they may be right about that.
Angler

Post by Angler »

kboy2379 wrote:I’ve posted my newest video where I challenged myself to use a small spoon in the shallow,
murky, marsh. Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/mdii7A_kwVA
Thanks for the post. I guess I get to have a fishing “fix” with my morning coffee on a work day thru people’s fishing reports and vids. I’m sure I don’t thank people enough for posting this stuff.

One of my favorite things to do is to catch reds on my fly rod. There’s a challenge for ya ;) One of the few “fly’s” that I don’t tie or make myself is a Spoon Fly. Tied weedless it’s quite effective in grass, and back waters. Horbley’s Spoon Fly in copper color is one of my favorites. Dupree also excellent.

Anyway, well done.

K