I do not understand? (or, maybe I have spent too much time staring at the moon!)

Michael Meyer

I do not understand? (or, maybe I have spent too much time staring at the moon!)

Post by Michael Meyer »

There is something I do not understand.

Let me give an example. Tomorrow, according to the NOAA/NOS/CO-OPS, high tide is predicted in Port Aransas, TX (8775237) at 10:35 a.m. The same website predicts high tide in Aransas Pass (3775241) at 7:20 a.m., Copano Bay (8774513) at 6:06 p.m., and Nueces Bay at 5:30 P.M. (8775244).

Here is where my confusion sets in. Why would high tide in Aransas Pass occur about three hours before high tide in Port Aransas? It would seem to me that most of the incoming water will come down Shrimp Boat Channel from Port Aransas to Aransas Pass and would reach Aransas Pass after it reaches Port Aransas. Second, why would high tide in Aransas Pass occur 11 hours before high tide in Copano Bay, which is about 20 to the east of Aransas Pass, and 10 hours before high tide in Nueces Bay, which is about 20 miles to the west of Aransas Pass. It seems to me that high tide in Aransas Pass should be slotted somewhere between high tide in Copano Bay and high tide in Nueces Bay.

I guess it might help if I knew where the CO-OPs monitoring stations were located, but I have been unable to find that information.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: I do not understand? (or, maybe I have spent too much time staring at the moon!)

Post by TroutSupport.com »

That's a good catch... I wonder if there isn't a mistake and they have those 2 stations reversed. Another clue is that the Aransas pass buoy prediction is for 4 tenths a foot higher. It's both higher and faster.. that doesn't make sense at all.. It should be slower and lower due to the wave being split out into all the channels. it's Govt.. there has to be an error in there somewhere....