didn't think I could do it.

F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

didn't think I could do it.

Post by F.O.C. »

frenzy.png
last years birthday present and finally had a chance to see what I could do with it. Also practiced deep water entry. I purposely wore my fishing clothes and tucked my pants into my wade boots. Pants filled with water and the life jacket made it hard to get back on through the side. Had to get back on through the bow.

99% of my fishing is in water 4ft or less. I do cross channels though.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: didn't think I could do it.

Post by kickingback »

:clap: way to practice safety first! :clap:

If more did what you did they would not die in vain. Thanks for sharing and have fun!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Responding to keep this thread going.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

Also tried it with ultra 4.7. I could not get back on through the side either. Jacket get hung on the paddle keeper. Even removed the front seat strap. Kayak would raise up on the other side. Another thing holding me back was the water in the pants. Each leg had a ball of water where the pant was tucked in the boot. Keeping me from kicking my legs hard enough to get over the side and lay flat on the kayak. I could not climb over the bow either because i could not lower it. Im 220 lbs, strong and couldn't get it low enough. A looped strap to make a stirup would be needed. Jacket off and shorts instead of pants would make it easy to do but thats not how I fish.

Just something to think about....

I didnt have this problem 8 years ago. Lol
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You can make a simple "ladder" from 550 cord. tie it so you can get a foot in a loop and tie the cord to the side of your kayak. When you go in pull the cord over the bottom of kayak and then put your foot in the loop and use your body weight to tip it back over. You can then use the cord to mount your kayak for extra grip.
Yakity-Yak made a video on this in these forums. Search it.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I've never practiced a deep water re-entry in my Commander. Might be a good time to try it. I routinely fish standing up in the kayak so I'm bound to fall out someday. The first time I did a deep water re-entry in my Heritage Marquesa was out at the old Gas Stem 1.8 miles off Surfside. I jumped in to snorkel on the rig and realized I had never tried to get back in the kayak in deep water. Kind of puts the pressure on, but it wasn't any trouble getting back in. I did have a friend with me and he might have helped if things got difficult.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I have never tried a deep water re-entry and this a good reminder that I probably should. I rarely fish water deep enough to have a life-threatening situation and I always wear a PFD. But I can envision one of those times where I am out on a windy day, the wind takes me out farther/deeper than I planned. I have kayak fished for close to ten years now and have only tipped once. I was in water about three feet deep with a bottom hard enough that I was able to "jump" and get enough of my body on the kayak to slide back onto it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where a safe place to practice re-entry would be? Maybe we could get a few of us together and practice a few. I'd like to try it in waders but am honestly a little afraid of the weight of filled waders pulling me under, PFD and all, and would like a buddy to help just in case.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I really want to stand up in my kayak (Heritage Redfish 12 footer).

But I keep getting about to my knees then feel a little wobbly and think falling onto oyster shell might not be the best idea in the world.

I've done SUP before with not much problems, I'm not sure if the kayak is the same or not. I think I just need to practice at few times with no expensive gear in a lake somewhere.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

mwatson71 wrote:I have never tried a deep water re-entry and this a good reminder that I probably should. I rarely fish water deep enough to have a life-threatening situation and I always wear a PFD. But I can envision one of those times where I am out on a windy day, the wind takes me out farther/deeper than I planned. I have kayak fished for close to ten years now and have only tipped once. I was in water about three feet deep with a bottom hard enough that I was able to "jump" and get enough of my body on the kayak to slide back onto it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where a safe place to practice re-entry would be? Maybe we could get a few of us together and practice a few. I'd like to try it in waders but am honestly a little afraid of the weight of filled waders pulling me under, PFD and all, and would like a buddy to help just in case.
You know, thinking about how I do SCUBA diving, where you need to have access to quickly remove your weight belt should things go south - if we wear waders the straps really ought to be OVER our life jackets, not under.
It would feel a little weird probably, but the 1st thing you'll want to do if they fill with water is to take them off. Mine are a little loose though so this might not make sense if you have tight fitting waders?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

great work guys!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I always wear my straps over my PFD and explained to my son the reason we do it that way. I just haven't ever had to make the emergency exit out of my waders. My plan if I went overboard in my waders would be to 1. not panic, 2. unbuckle my straps, 3. slip out of waders, 4. surface. From there I guess it would be to find my kayak and try to get back aboard. Maybe tonight I will go to my neighbors' house and borrow their pool just to see if I could get through steps 1-4. Their pool isn't long enough to put my kayak in.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Here is a great idea if you plan to fish standing up :)

https://mountainstomarsh.com/2013/01/06 ... -belt-sbs/
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Heck yeah man! Way to go. You just gotta get out there and do it.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ditch the antiquated full-suspender waders & replace w/ quality belted wading pants. Shoffer & I use them a lot in cold weather. Added benefit to us older gentlemen is quick release for happy urination.
Tight trickles from Dandydon Pickels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Dandydon wrote:Ditch the antiquated full-suspender waders & replace w/ quality belted wading pants. Shoffer & I use them a lot in cold weather. Added benefit to us older gentlemen is quick release for happy urination.
Tight trickles from Dandydon Pickels... Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have neoprene full waders that I wear when it is really cold or kind of cold and wet. If the weather is dry but still a little cool, I have a pair of waterproof pants to keep my buns dry. Most of the time I am in shorts because that's just my style. I don't get out of my kayak much these days to wade fish but I have beached it to fish from the bank in a couple of my favorite spots.

The "tight trickles from Dandydon Pickels" has more laughing a little harder than a grown man should.