Swiss Army Knife as a saltwater multitool

Chubs

Swiss Army Knife as a saltwater multitool

Post by Chubs »

I've got an idea to start using this little Aluminum Oxide classic type swiss army knife as my go to multitool.
Add description
Add description
Seems like it ought to be great - scissors can cut even 80lb braid, knife to cut lines or ropes if I get in trouble/ or cut bait if needed. And even has a file on it to sharpen hooks.

It's made of stainless steel, and the Alox should hold up in the salt too.

I also carry hemostats to de-hook fish.

Anyone else use swiss army knifes? I like the idea that each part of this tool has a definite use. If you go the next size up SAK half of the tools would never get used.

Also this thing is like $15 for the plastic housing one so easy to replace if I drop it in the water.
Last edited by Chubs on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
weekendyakker

Re: Swiss Amry Knife as a saltwater multitool

Post by weekendyakker »

Sounds like a winner. I've found the weak link in most multi-tool types are the rivets or screws holding it all together. Please give an update a week or so after it's played with the saltwater, I'm always looking for something that holds up better.
Chubs

Re: Swiss Army Knife as a saltwater multitool

Post by Chubs »

That is my concern - that they seize up. The rivets are supposedly brass though.

We'll see how it goes :)
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Nice. I carry one of those in my work bag and love it, never really thought of carrying it in my kayak. Seems like a good idea. I usually carry my little mora eldris in my kayak. Might switch it up every now and again...
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Well, one trip in and it preformed like a champ, and didn't seize up or rust up yet.

I used the scissors on my braid, knife t open a new pack of lures and cut out a tangle, and used the file to sharpen some dull hooks after snagging oyster.

I think I'm going to take the model with the tweezers though and toothpick after watching this video (hint, tweezers can be used to untangle birds nests).
https://www.lafishblog.com/how-to-remov ... aitcaster/
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thought I'd reply to this since I've been using the same knife for a year now. It's held up really well and has proven quite invaluable.
Cuts 50 lb braid with the scissors. The file is also useful for sharpening a hook.
I don't use the knife too much but it comes in handy every so often.
The textured grip is great with wet hands.

I have the split ring connected to a telephone cord style lanyard which has a SST clip that I clip to any sort of D-ring on my pants/ wade bag/ life jacket.

It's been submerged in the saltwater for long stints while clipped to my lifejacket or pants clip.

The stainless has held up fine but some of the hinges are getting harder to flip open/ closed due to getting grime and sand in them I'm sure. I don't see any rust so maybe I can throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner to free it up.
It still works though, just a little stiff sometimes.

You can't beat it's usefulness for the price imo.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

way cool - I always carry saltwater fishing pliers and a neck knife.
fwiw, this knife will also cut heavy braid.
Kind of a fancy little knife, VG-10+nickel damascus and holds up to everything except sulfuric acid.
There are also titanium neck knives out there, though they don't have the hardness of knife steel
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Evidentially yours holds up just fine, but I was wondering how Damascus steel would hold up in saltwater.
When you connect 2 dissimilar metals together and expose to saltwater that is a surefire way to have corrosion.

Maybe real Damascus is different, but manufactured look alike (I forget the technical term... pattern welded I think) is 2 dissimilar metals. Mine starts to rust if I submerge it in regular old water overnight (it cuts great though, great fish deboning knife for the cleaning station).
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Boomerang tool is the best.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote:Boomerang tool is the best.
Looks nice, though I'd miss the file of the SAK for my hooks when they get dull. Right about the same price range though.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Chubs wrote:Evidentially yours holds up just fine, but I was wondering how Damascus steel would hold up in saltwater.
When you connect 2 dissimilar metals together and expose to saltwater that is a surefire way to have corrosion.

Maybe real Damascus is different, but manufactured look alike (I forget the technical term... pattern welded I think) is 2 dissimilar metals. Mine starts to rust if I submerge it in regular old water overnight (it cuts great though, great fish deboning knife for the cleaning station).
bro, I would keep my nice carbon damascus knives far away from the salt.
This one I take fly fishing for nipping tippet in freshwater only.
I'm a metallurgist and corrosion engineer, licensed PE. The galvanic difference between two steels is insignificant - even steel and aluminum - it takes steel to copper to cause galvanic corrosion.

My kiridashi was hand-forged by Kiku Matsuda in Japan, and was a pretty good buy for that effort.
It was the last knife he had from a billet, and I hounded him by e-mail for a year - he finally sold it to me when he got another billet of VG-10
impulse

Post by impulse »

For a "multitool" role, my nod would go to a Leatherman or similar just because pliers are so darn handy for fishing. And there's always some screw or nut that needs to be loosened or tightened on the 'yak or my reels.

That said, most multi-tools are great for backups, but I generally keep a pair of longnose split ring pliers and a fillet knife at hand. They're one trick ponies, but excel at their role.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote:I'm a metallurgist and corrosion engineer, licensed PE. The galvanic difference between two steels is insignificant - even steel and aluminum - it takes steel to copper to cause galvanic corrosion.

My kiridashi was hand-forged by Kiku Matsuda in Japan, and was a pretty good buy for that effort.
It was the last knife he had from a billet, and I hounded him by e-mail for a year - he finally sold it to me when he got another billet of VG-10
I have to say that blade does look very nice. You can clearly see the layers and they are all running in line with the cutting edge. Sure it stays nice a sharp.

Didn't know that steel to aluminum is good to go. I assume same applies to Stainless to Aluminum? Makes sense though since my pliers are aluminum base with stainless jaws and they seem fine so far.

And I've tried a Leatherman before but the hinge rusted up quickly it seemed like. Plus it didn't cut braid.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

something else about the Ni-VG10 damascus - during the long hand forging steps, some of the nickel diffuses into the VG-10 layers, greatly improving its pitting resistance.

btw, the very best cigar scissors I've ever used are on SAK (best fingernail file, too)
next to it is my favorite daily carry, sadly discontinued Al Mar China Clipper mini tanto +cigar cutter - I bought 3 of these, 2 black micarta, one to carry, one stays in my truck, and this rare white micarta in reserve.
@impulse, I've taken leatherman to the salt, and they rust - I'm a stickler with pliers, etc, clean and protect everything with Boeshield. I have a back-up pair of Rapala pliers from the 90s - I fight the rust on them, but they're still useful loaners.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I’ve had this knife for probably 40 years, it’s been through many a backpack, climbing and mountaineering trips. In my fly fishing vest and for the last year it’s been in my PFD pocket in the salt!
I never thought about using the scissors on braid but just tried it and I’ll be damned it works! So that is another uni-tasker that I don’t have to carry any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

after pricing Kiku knives lately, doubting there will ever be any more offered, and certainly not at $95, been questioning taking my nice hand-forged kiridashi into the bay.

Went looking for a (replaceable) salt alternative and decided to break down and try the Schwartz Tactical titanium-tungsten-carbide kiridashi.
Interesting knife, I thought it was delivered without an edge, and it won't cut your finger -
- but it nips the fool out of 30-lb braid, and even normally stretchy copolymer.