Recommendations for New Guy

Bones_ATX

Recommendations for New Guy

Post by Bones_ATX »

Hey Y'all

I live in Austin and I'm looking to make my first trip to the coast to try and do some bay/marsh fishing for trout and reds.

I've dug through alot of the threads but it can be a bit overwhelming. I am looking for a recommendation on where to launch/fish. Looking to make this a day trip so I would like to keep the drive time around 3 hours max each way. Somewhere between Matagorda and Corpus would be ideal.

I'm not looking for secret spots, just something that will be easy on a first timer and hopefully productive.

Thanks!
weekendyakker

Re: Recommendations for New Guy

Post by weekendyakker »

I'd recommend the Lighthouse Lakes area. If you aren't familiar with the location It's on 361 right before the ferry to Port Aransas. If you hit the ferry you've only gone about 2 miles too far.
There will be other kayakers in the area so if you need help for whatever reason there's usually someone within range. Also, the mangroves protect you from boat wakes & from getting windswept 3miles across a bay....it happens if you dont pay attention.
Plenty of parking available right on the water. Be careful when crossing the ship channel, some boaters zip through there like a bat outta hell.
weekendyakker

Post by weekendyakker »

Honestly, I think Port Lavaca area is about the only salt water you can hit within 3hrs of austin. Depending on where you live, it might be 3hrs before you can cross town. Ha!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

True, it takes over an hour to get from north Austin to S. Austin.. maybe more LOL.. but if you duck out to the sideline you can be 1/3 the way to the coast. I can be in Matagorda in 3.5, Baffin is still 5.5.

Steadman Flats or LightHouse would be good options. Also Powerhorn near Lavaca / Indianola gets a lot less traffic (or well it did before I just typed this)
weekendyakker

Post by weekendyakker »

Yep, if you don't mind spending an extra $10 or so, taking tollway 130 @ 85mph all the way to I10 saves a ton of time.
Google maps shows LHL at 3.25hrs from around downtown atx.
And there went Indianola..... Lol
Bones_ATX

Post by Bones_ATX »

Thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated.

I live in South Austin so its not much of an issue getting out of town lol. looks like 3.5 hrs form my place to LHL which is doable.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

6 Mile boat ramp is another option , which may be the closest launch site from Austin. As long as the SE wind isn't too easterly it does offer some protection from a SE as long as you don't drift too far out.

Garcitas Creek to the north is a great shrimp estuary and has a killer migration in fall. Placedo Creek is a great winter sport. Fishing the mouth of Sixmile Creek just south of the ramp is can be good as well. Most of the water along the shoreline is firm sand with grass with some scattered shell. All in all it offers good opportunities year round.

My advice to you since you are starting out is to pick a location and just fish there. Learn the water. Pay attention to your surroundings. Keep a journal. You're going to get skunked on trips, but try something new or reaffirm something from a previous trip the next time you fish. Constantly bouncing around from one spot to the next with no rhyme or reason is only going to slow your learning curve. If you pay attention while fishing you'll start to pick up on the little things which will help lead you to more successful tripst. You'll also slowly build confidence in lures and fishing certain structures, which you can then apply to new areas.

Also, IMO, there are no "honey holes". One man's honey hole is another man's deserted waste land. The only difference is one person put an effort into learning a body/area of water and knows when it's productive and, coincidentally, when it's not.

If you plan on using live shrimp grab some 2/0 kahle hooks and rattle style floats (like Alameda). I also use a small split shot 6-8" above the hook to help keep the shrimp where I want them; which is typically just above the grass. I would take the time to make a DIY PVC pipe bait tube, they tow behind kayaks much better than your standard yellow bait bucket.

If you throw soft plastics just keep things simple. For waters where you're looking to fish snag some paddle tails in pearl/chartreuse, plum/chartreuse, chicken on a chain, and strawberry/white. If you want to carry a couple colors in case you end up in stained waters add a limetreuse and texas roach as well. I mainly use 1/16 oz jigheads, but also carry 1/8 oz.

Gulp or DOA shrimp under a slip float (like the H&H TKO float, of which I prefer the cigar shaped float but the concave top works better for reds), rigged backwards on a 3/0 weighted swimbait hook (I like the Owner weighted twistlock where I push the weight as far back to the bend) works very well. Rig it so the lure the lure stays just above the grass/bottom.

1/4 oz weedless gold spoon and smaller bone topwater are necessary as well. My carry a chartreuse or gold topwater as well if water is stained or you're fishing overcast skies. When working a topwater for redfish have a set cadence with the topwater is important. Reds are bottom feeders so when they strike a topwater they lose sight of it just before strike it, so having a very consistent cadence (think metronome) is important, IMO. Trout aren't as picky, if it looks like a wounded bait fish and they're hungry they'll eat a topwater. If walking the dog isn't your thing then I'd spend the few bucks and buy the Strike Pro Hunchback; terrific wake bait.
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

The flats in aransas have been STACKED with reds and I have caught a few trout over 20” with one being 25” in about 1ft of water on a topwater.

This time of year is great because you can use a topwater or spoon and really cover tons of water to try and put a pattern together.