TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


Please visit our sponsor Slowride Guide Services
#2265539
I don’t worry too much about it. Some spots are seasonal or vary with tide levels. I’ve seen kayakers paddle right by or over spots where they could have caught multiples of redfish or trout, but they never even make a cast. Even if someone has exact GPS coordinates doesn’t mean the fish will always be there day in and day out and it doesn’t mean that any given person will know how to fish the spot. I’ve paddled by great spots multiple times without picking up on the signs and then finally figured out how to fish them. I’m pretty sure I will continue to miss stuff and continue to “find” new places, places that others might have picked up on way before me.

I make a map of spots and keep on trying to find new places. So if people are hitting up one place there’s often others nearby that are just as good.
#2265541
:lol:
If someone's "spot" is shown on YouTube I wonder how many people go to that exact spot, on the exact same day, in the exact same weather and tide conditions that you decide to go back to....hmmm...seems to me I can bet MAYBE one at the most?! You would have to go to that same spot day in, day out to see just how many people fish it. Then you have to talk to those people and ask them if they fished it ONLY because there is a YouTube video on it... :lol:

The odds and chances are really astronomical unless that is the ONLY spot you ever fish...or that every living person with a kayak or baot watches that one video adn then gets in their boat and goes to fish it. Just saying.
#2265548
kickingback wrote::lol:
If someone's "spot" is shown on YouTube I wonder how many people go to that exact spot, on the exact same day, in the exact same weather and tide conditions that you decide to go back to....hmmm...seems to me I can bet MAYBE one at the most?! You would have to go to that same spot day in, day out to see just how many people fish it. Then you have to talk to those people and ask them if they fished it ONLY because there is a YouTube video on it... :lol:

The odds and chances are really astronomical unless that is the ONLY spot you ever fish...or that every living person with a kayak or baot watches that one video adn then gets in their boat and goes to fish it. Just saying.

I don't think you understand the reach of YouTube and other social media. I'm not worried about the guy making the video so much as the thousands of people who see it and all the people likely to go there because of it.
#2265574
Ultrastealth wrote:
kickingback wrote::lol:
If someone's "spot" is shown on YouTube I wonder how many people go to that exact spot, on the exact same day, in the exact same weather and tide conditions that you decide to go back to....hmmm...seems to me I can bet MAYBE one at the most?! You would have to go to that same spot day in, day out to see just how many people fish it. Then you have to talk to those people and ask them if they fished it ONLY because there is a YouTube video on it... :lol:

The odds and chances are really astronomical unless that is the ONLY spot you ever fish...or that every living person with a kayak or baot watches that one video adn then gets in their boat and goes to fish it. Just saying.

I don't think you understand the reach of YouTube and other social media. I'm not worried about the guy making the video so much as the thousands of people who see it and all the people likely to go there because of it.


I watch YouTube videos rigorously. I have seen things I bet none of you have. I do "deep dives" every once in a while and find some real gems.
Again, that one spot you talk about is the same spot whether it is on YouTube or not. People fished that spot long before YouTube. Like I said, go out to that spot you are so worried about and watch and learn that there is not a ton of people swarming to that one spot daily. The bays are way too big to think that a favorite spot will be "fished out" or taken every single day you fish.
I ask you to prove me wrong.
My point is that if every video of a fishing spot was fished like you think they are then there would be people there in that one spot 24/7. It is a false narrative.
Spots shown by video makers show you the conditions they fished in. You have to figure in the tides, weather and other factors if going to the EXACT SAME spot with exact same conditions and have fish there constantly on the day you want to go since seeing that video. It's just astronomical in my opinion And I will never worry about it.


Oh, BTW, I found the "tunnel to red fish heaven" on my own by looking at the video and Google Earth. Found it in less than 10 minutes. If you know the person posting and where they live or fish you can do the research and find many locations to fish. I have and I have not seen that person that filmed it being there anytime I went back to that same spot.
#2265576
Try making an educational fishing DVD product... only to have them paraphrase without any recognition. It's disrespect and only the lowest scum would do that anyway. Whatever, their channel still hasn't grown.. it would probably help them more if they smiled more. But still, they'll never learn it from those paraphrases and word snippets. Same with spots, people can know the spot, but they won't know when to go there, how to approach it, when not to go, how to fish it, where the sweet spot is etc etc. I'm not all that worried about people telling this or that spot. With Google earth anyone can find a piece of structure and fish it.... fish it on the wrong tide, fish it with no sign present, wrong time of year.. sure they can fish it.. but they won't be there when I show up.
#2265580
kickingback wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote:
kickingback wrote::lol:
If someone's "spot" is shown on YouTube I wonder how many people go to that exact spot, on the exact same day, in the exact same weather and tide conditions that you decide to go back to....hmmm...seems to me I can bet MAYBE one at the most?! You would have to go to that same spot day in, day out to see just how many people fish it. Then you have to talk to those people and ask them if they fished it ONLY because there is a YouTube video on it... :lol:

The odds and chances are really astronomical unless that is the ONLY spot you ever fish...or that every living person with a kayak or baot watches that one video adn then gets in their boat and goes to fish it. Just saying.

I don't think you understand the reach of YouTube and other social media. I'm not worried about the guy making the video so much as the thousands of people who see it and all the people likely to go there because of it.


I watch YouTube videos rigorously. I have seen things I bet none of you have. I do "deep dives" every once in a while and find some real gems.
Again, that one spot you talk about is the same spot whether it is on YouTube or not. People fished that spot long before YouTube. Like I said, go out to that spot you are so worried about and watch and learn that there is not a ton of people swarming to that one spot daily. The bays are way too big to think that a favorite spot will be "fished out" or taken every single day you fish.
I ask you to prove me wrong.
My point is that if every video of a fishing spot was fished like you think they are then there would be people there in that one spot 24/7. It is a false narrative.
Spots shown by video makers show you the conditions they fished in. You have to figure in the tides, weather and other factors if going to the EXACT SAME spot with exact same conditions and have fish there constantly on the day you want to go since seeing that video. It's just astronomical in my opinion And I will never worry about it.


Oh, BTW, I found the "tunnel to red fish heaven" on my own by looking at the video and Google Earth. Found it in less than 10 minutes. If you know the person posting and where they live or fish you can do the research and find many locations to fish. I have and I have not seen that person that filmed it being there anytime I went back to that same spot.

I'm not making this up. It has already happened. I used to pretty much have the place to myself, and only after it hit Youtube did it become crowded.
#2265582
TroutSupport.com wrote:Try making an educational fishing DVD product... only to have them paraphrase without any recognition. It's disrespect and only the lowest scum would do that anyway. Whatever, their channel still hasn't grown.. it would probably help them more if they smiled more. But still, they'll never learn it from those paraphrases and word snippets. Same with spots, people can know the spot, but they won't know when to go there, how to approach it, when not to go, how to fish it, where the sweet spot is etc etc. I'm not all that worried about people telling this or that spot. With Google earth anyone can find a piece of structure and fish it.... fish it on the wrong tide, fish it with no sign present, wrong time of year.. sure they can fish it.. but they won't be there when I show up.

Tobin, they will do anything to promote their channels, including instruction on when to fish a certain spot. They have "meet ups" with maybe 10 people to show them where and how to fish. Those 10 go and tell their buddies. Basically, you and I get out there and learn where and when to fish by trial and error, and these guys get word from somebody about a spot and then broadcast it to the world. When somebody gives me a spot, I fish it with the understanding that it was privileged information, and I'm not to bring a bunch of people there or shout it out to the world.
#2265584
Ultrastealth wrote:Tobin, they will do anything to promote their channels, including instruction on when to fish a certain spot. They have "meet ups" with maybe 10 people to show them where and how to fish. Those 10 go and tell their buddies. Basically, you and I get out there and learn where and when to fish by trial and error, and these guys get word from somebody about a spot and then broadcast it to the world. When somebody gives me a spot, I fish it with the understanding that it was privileged information, and I'm not to bring a bunch of people there or shout it out to the world.


I Know; Its ok. Believe me, I don't like it. But just because someone knows a spot doesn't mean they are going to catch a fish on it when they go.

I prefer to fish alone. Capt Steve Soule once told me... every new tournament partner you get ... you just told 5 more people all your best spots. Then those 5 tell their buddies and so forth. Even long time tourney partners eventually split.
#2265601
Ultrastealth wrote:I'm not making this up. It has already happened. I used to pretty much have the place to myself, and only after it hit Youtube did it become crowded.


I believe you. Sorry to hear it.
Do you fish it only on weekends at the busy times when others are always out? If you do then you should go any other day. I bet it's wide open. I personally stay away from weekend fishing unless it is at night in the marsh where no one likes to go at night.
#2265626
It's actually getting worse. One guy is having "meet ups" at spots he's been given. So, he's taking groups of people to his spots to try to up his YouTube and Patreon subscriptions. Then he posts maps of his travels for Patreon contributors only. In other words, people are offering him spots of where to fish, then he takes groups of people there and charges other people for the information.
#2265627
So you'll obviously disagree with me, but I don't really see anything wrong with the guy doing this. If people are giving him spots to fish, they probably knew (or they know now) that he shares the info. So if someone had a problem with it they should not give him the info.

If it's a spot he found on his own then he's not violating anyone's trust.

By selling "tours" of spots in patreon meetups he's basically acting as a guide. Now I don't know if there are any licensing requirements he's bypassing by doing this (which may bring about legalities), but I don't think he's doing anything illegal. He's trying to make a buck sounds like. The entire general population isn't going to know where he's fishing unless they pay - and I can guarantee you there are far fewer people willing to shell out cash for things than to try to figure it out on their own.

The worst part is as you say - the crowds are going to increase, but I don't think the fish populations are going to be as badly impacted as you are worrying. Even if he shows your secret honey holes - like others are saying it's not going to guarantee them the fish are there if they arrive at the wrong time. Even if they are there, it's not going to guarantee them they will actually catch anything. What if they are throwing a fast sinking 3/8 oz jig head in winter and ripping across the magic culvert going the wrong way. But like KB says, go when there are likely to be less people if you can. Sure that's not always possible, but if you can make it happen that is what I'd do. And lets not rely on one spot, I'm sure you have other spots in the vicinity you've always wanted to try out, if the one you wanted to hit up is "taken." If someone is in your bayou, say hello and either go a little ways off and cast; or just keep going and maybe you'll find bigger fish. That's something I learned this winter - people we fishing out a spot I had planned to target and reeling out redfish after redfish. I was upset to say the least because I'd just spent 3 hours getting over there with nothing to show for it. I kept going though and guess what - I found more reds and hit my limit plus some. It was a valuable lesson learned for me.

On the topic of giving out "secret" info, I actually wish people would share more information. Not because I want their spot, but I want to know what's their approach, what's working, and why it's working (and if they don't know I do some of my own research on the day), so I can go apply that knowledge to my own spots or go try out new spots. I hate fishing reports that are just pictures!!! What value am I going to get from that? If they are nice pictures sure, that's nice and I like those - but it's not a fishing report. Youtube is nice because I get to see the retrieve they are making, and if I'm observant I can see what the water appeared to be doing (movement, boils, etc).

I've not fished much yet and I've not fished the same area twice yet, but when I do go back to a spot I've had success in before in the same conditions, I'll try to hit it up the same way, but if someone is in my spot I'll either squeeze in if I can without invading "personal space"; or I'll move to the next spot, or I'll try a different way to fish.
#2265631
Chubs wrote:So you'll obviously disagree with me, but I don't really see anything wrong with the guy doing this. If people are giving him spots to fish, they probably knew (or they know now) that he shares the info. So if someone had a problem with it they should not give him the info.

If it's a spot he found on his own then he's not violating anyone's trust.

By selling "tours" of spots in patreon meetups he's basically acting as a guide. Now I don't know if there are any licensing requirements he's bypassing by doing this (which may bring about legalities), but I don't think he's doing anything illegal. He's trying to make a buck sounds like. The entire general population isn't going to know where he's fishing unless they pay - and I can guarantee you there are far fewer people willing to shell out cash for things than to try to figure it out on their own.

The worst part is as you say - the crowds are going to increase, but I don't think the fish populations are going to be as badly impacted as you are worrying. Even if he shows your secret honey holes - like others are saying it's not going to guarantee them the fish are there if they arrive at the wrong time. Even if they are there, it's not going to guarantee them they will actually catch anything. What if they are throwing a fast sinking 3/8 oz jig head in winter and ripping across the magic culvert going the wrong way. But like KB says, go when there are likely to be less people if you can. Sure that's not always possible, but if you can make it happen that is what I'd do. And lets not rely on one spot, I'm sure you have other spots in the vicinity you've always wanted to try out, if the one you wanted to hit up is "taken." If someone is in your bayou, say hello and either go a little ways off and cast; or just keep going and maybe you'll find bigger fish. That's something I learned this winter - people we fishing out a spot I had planned to target and reeling out redfish after redfish. I was upset to say the least because I'd just spent 3 hours getting over there with nothing to show for it. I kept going though and guess what - I found more reds and hit my limit plus some. It was a valuable lesson learned for me.

On the topic of giving out "secret" info, I actually wish people would share more information. Not because I want their spot, but I want to know what's their approach, what's working, and why it's working (and if they don't know I do some of my own research on the day), so I can go apply that knowledge to my own spots or go try out new spots. I hate fishing reports that are just pictures!!! What value am I going to get from that? If they are nice pictures sure, that's nice and I like those - but it's not a fishing report. Youtube is nice because I get to see the retrieve they are making, and if I'm observant I can see what the water appeared to be doing (movement, boils, etc).

I've not fished much yet and I've not fished the same area twice yet, but when I do go back to a spot I've had success in before in the same conditions, I'll try to hit it up the same way, but if someone is in my spot I'll either squeeze in if I can without invading "personal space"; or I'll move to the next spot, or I'll try a different way to fish.

So, what you're saying is that you like this kind of thing, because you just started fishing. This guy is no issue for you, because you have nothing to protect. Those of us who've been fishing the coast since we were kids and have compiled decades of experience feel a little differently. We put in the time to find good spots, and you want someone to just hand them to you. By the way, I agree with you about fishing reports, and I try to provide useful info when I post them. I don't think it's a lot to ask for the bay system, the lure or bait used, water depth, type of bottom, and conditions.
#2265639
Well I appreciate your opinion and I can't say I'd feel differently if I was in your shoes.

I do still appreciate all the info I can get out of Youtube as it speeds my learning curve. And I might be unique in that I don't really care to fish someone else's spots (even if they share them with me). I prefer to figure it out on my own. And I'm happy to give out the info if someone asks me, or if I know it's a well known spot because I found myself in their situation being completely new a few years ago. If it was a spot someone gave me I'd not share it without 1st checking with the source.

So, since we are somewhat at an impasse in opinions, I thought I'd share this old post related to this topic I found that I enjoyed which I'm sure you can relate to.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225846
#2265640
I am not going to defend whatever they are doing that is getting you riled up, but this is the world in which we live. I can take you to some places that will hold fish from April to October. There have been times over the years when others have "discovered" them (Bird-doggers) & fished them, but when they didn't do well because they didn't know how to fish the area or exactly where the structure is, they went away and I again had it to myself or to share with a few guides in the know.

I just roll with it and wait for the fever to go away. YouTube and people who are trying to make a living or a name using it as a promotional medium is just a fact of life.
#2265641
I know you are talking about MDLR. He has gotten bad with the Patreon stuff I have noticed as well. Him and Thresher will not answer or chat with you if they go live unless you "donate" to them. The rest watching can chat but he never reads them unless you pay. Mostly this is Thresher but MDLR is asking for money from his viewers so he can do more for them with the money they send him.
I know many people that cannot get out to fish because they are too old, or ill or other reason and they actually pay and enjoy watching them fish since they cannot. My Uncle is like that. He told me one day he had been watching MDLR and enjoyed his videos. I can see how this helps them.
But as far as anglers watching and going to those spots, most all of his videos spots I have fished before. He just started salt water fishing less than a year ago after retiring from the military. Many of the spots he goes are spots I have already fished. So I don't see why someone showing a video that probably someone else also filmed at the same spot would mean the area is no longer any good.
He will be doing a meet and greet at the ramp going into Churchill Bayou fishing with one lure tournament for fun. EVERYONE has fished that area so I do not see why it is such a big deal for him to film his locations. Especially this spot that everyone fishes all the time.
if someone is doing that POST on their YouTube channel your objections or reason why and maybe they will understand and listen. You may not be the only one but you have to let the video owner know. They may change. But as far as I see it, it is a subjective call by anglers on whether to let others know or not.
The day I stop fishing I may write a book with pictures and give every single spot I fished like others have done. Why doesn't anyone complain about the multitude of books, TV shows and other media that are not YouTube videos with information and details about spots on the water? Makes me wonder why I feel I am the only one that sees the "big picture" about spots.
#2265643
Chubs wrote: I do still appreciate all the info I can get out of Youtube as it speeds my learning curve.


Well, if you are looking to shorten your learning curve, I think you'd doo much better viewing real educational material over and over rather than YouTube videos. At the risk of sounding like a tape recording, the Troutsupport DVDs are 10 times better than almost everything I've seen on YouTube related to fishing. There are a few blogs or YouTube channels I've seen who cover some (coincidentally???) similar material as you'll find in the Tobin's DVDs, but none are as comprehensive or as exhaustively researched.
#2265648
Yaklash wrote:
Chubs wrote: I do still appreciate all the info I can get out of Youtube as it speeds my learning curve.


Well, if you are looking to shorten your learning curve, I think you'd doo much better viewing real educational material over and over rather than YouTube videos. At the risk of sounding like a tape recording, the Troutsupport DVDs are 10 times better than almost everything I've seen on YouTube related to fishing. There are a few blogs or YouTube channels I've seen who cover some (coincidentally???) similar material as you'll find in the Tobin's DVDs, but none are as comprehensive or as exhaustively researched.

I second this. It's really invaluable information.
#2265652
I thought maybe he was talking about MDLR too, but MDLR is not doing what Ultrastealth is saying (making people pay on pateron so he can host a meetups to show them spots) so I figure it must be someone else??

Yes he has pateron, and yes he shares his info on where he went and what spots he caught, but he doesn't tell you the conditions he was in really or time or current etc. Yes I signed up as a patreon awhile back - not for the spots but because I like his main youtube videos and wanted to support his work as his videos are very enjoyable, more enjoyable than 99% of the crap on regular TV I pay $100 a month for ;) And I never noticed him not responding to messages on his youtube prior to signing up - he seems like a decent guy (granted you can't truely judge a person's moral character through the internet).

And - he does not appear to share secret spots that others gave him. He even says he's not going to share such and such a spot if he's with someone their secret spot like Trailchaser (also awesome videos).

And ya, the meet up tomorrow is not for him to show off spots, it's a lures tournament for fun. I'd suspect people are going to be somewhat secretive so they win the lures lol. If you go in a big group you probably are not going to win (if winning was your goal).


I have half of Tobins vids and they are great. They don't have 100% of everything you need to know (not knocking you Tobin!!!). You still need time on the water regardless of how much info you have. Youtube videos (any point of view video) is very close to Time on the water in my estimation. And if they are fishing the way you plan to fish (out of a kayak), then that seems like a good thing to check out.

you did great Adam - thanks

Selling my Perception Pilot Pedal Kayak. Great con[…]

Bob Hall Rigs 8/24/18

Dang it. We will be there Thursday late afternoon[…]

Hobie Mirage Sport

that's correct, the combination of the Mirage driv[…]