How many of you have had a YouTuber expose one of your favorite spots?

Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: How many of you have had a YouTuber expose one of your favorite spots?

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:I thought maybe he was talking about MDLR too, but MDLR is not doing what Ultrastealth is saying (making people pay on pateron so he can host a meetups to show them spots) so I figure it must be someone else??

Yes he has pateron, and yes he shares his info on where he went and what spots he caught, but he doesn't tell you the conditions he was in really or time or current etc. Yes I signed up as a patreon awhile back - not for the spots but because I like his main youtube videos and wanted to support his work as his videos are very enjoyable, more enjoyable than 99% of the crap on regular TV I pay $100 a month for ;) And I never noticed him not responding to messages on his youtube prior to signing up - he seems like a decent guy (granted you can't truely judge a person's moral character through the internet).

And - he does not appear to share secret spots that others gave him. He even says he's not going to share such and such a spot if he's with someone their secret spot like Trailchaser (also awesome videos).

And ya, the meet up tomorrow is not for him to show off spots, it's a lures tournament for fun. I'd suspect people are going to be somewhat secretive so they win the lures lol. If you go in a big group you probably are not going to win (if winning was your goal).

I have half of Tobins vids and they are great. They don't have 100% of everything you need to know (not knocking you Tobin!!!). You still need time on the water regardless of how much info you have. Youtube videos (any point of view video) is very close to Time on the water in my estimation. And if they are fishing the way you plan to fish (out of a kayak), then that seems like a good thing to check out.
I'm familiar with MDLR, and I can tell you where he fished in virtually every video he posts just by the landmarks and the launch spots he shows. So, he's not really protecting any information that he gets, no matter what he says.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ultrastealth wrote:I'm familiar with MDLR, and I can tell you where he fished in virtually every video he posts just by the landmarks and the launch spots he shows. So, he's not really protecting any information that he gets, no matter what he says.
Again, I appreciate your opinion as you've been at this longer than I, and I don't doubt what you are saying - but us new guys have no idea where he is at unless he tells us ;)

So basically my point is I wouldn't think you should expect to see a lot of extra traffic in your spots unless the person started location dropping in his video. I suppose you would see a little increase from folks in the know - but then if they knew where he's filming they probably already knew the spot?
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

Chubs wrote:
Ultrastealth wrote:I'm familiar with MDLR, and I can tell you where he fished in virtually every video he posts just by the landmarks and the launch spots he shows. So, he's not really protecting any information that he gets, no matter what he says.
Again, I appreciate your opinion as you've been at this longer than I, and I don't doubt what you are saying - but us new guys have no idea where he is at unless he tells us ;)

So basically my point is I wouldn't think you should expect to see a lot of extra traffic in your spots unless the person started location dropping in his video. I suppose you would see a little increase from folks in the know - but then if they knew where he's filming they probably already knew the spot?
He's selling his spots on Patreon, so really anyone who wants to pay can get them.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Well bud, I don't want to argue with you so I'll just leave it at this, I don't think he's giving away as much as you fear.

He is giving out some spots he's fish at - true, and on patreon so in a way he is having people pay to show off spots he's caught fish. But he's only given away one good spot so far to my knowledge (I mentioned already I'm on his patreon so I have seen everything he posted up there). The rest have been onesy - twosy fish, nothing to write home about.

But I believe with the patreon account he's just trying to support his family while also having fun fishing after having served our country as a US Marine - which is more than I've ever done for our great country. I feel he has a right to do what he wants as long as he's staying legal. This is somewhat uncharted territory as far as trying to make a living off of youtube by kayak fishing, so this is the approach he is taking.

But I don't want to defend the guy anymore - let him create an account on here and do it himself!!! lol.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

kickingback wrote:Why doesn't anyone complain about the multitude of books, TV shows and other media that are not YouTube videos with information and details about spots on the water?
Because majority of people are too lazy to go and read a book. Also, when book lists hundreds of spots and hundreds of people read it -- they tend to spread out. With youtube you'll have a "thundering herd" hitting that particular advertised spot.

It is annoyance, but thankfully in most cases it will pass because attention span and memory of a crowd are very short. In some cases spots are too good and they end up becoming popular -- oh well... the power of the Internet. Those who understand it don't divulge their spots online or mention them to people prone to do that.
Last edited by Crusader on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I know MDLR. He is a good guy. I was merely pointing out what they do. I never said Mark takes money for spots but he is requesting it more on his videos. Don't get too buggered about this Chubs. We all are saying the same thing pretty much.
It's all about the "show" and what they offer. Thresher has lots more subscribers as he puts on more of a show than rather than catering to only a few I have noticed. Styles are different as well which makes watching liked by those crowds admiring each style.
Point was that with all the info on the same spots is already in print since people have been fishing and recording their catches since long back before we were even born. Videos just make the mental image you get from reading be more identifiable by actually seeing and watching the location like you are there in today's videos of those same locations.
Videos are just the in thing and make it easier for all to get whatever info they want to get from them.
I wouldn't get upset at spots on videos. I would just fish them "off times" from crowds or go find new spots...maybe some from videos I have seen on the internet... :lol:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote:I know MDLR. He is a good guy. I was merely pointing out what they do. I never said Mark takes money for spots but he is requesting it more on his videos.
His wife is probably telling him to stop fishing and get a real job :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Speaking of exposing, anyone concerned about drone recon missions? Sending a drone up before launching to scout where people are.. it’s a possibility these days. Flight time and distance are getting better. Even DJI’s Spark is rated to about a mile on a good day.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i see MDLR at a ton of my spots catching fish, where i dont catch anything lmfao. i like thresher too hes funny
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

5fangers wrote:Speaking of exposing, anyone concerned about drone recon missions? Sending a drone up before launching to scout where people are.. it’s a possibility these days. Flight time and distance are getting better. Even DJI’s Spark is rated to about a mile on a good day.
Actually, these subject youtubers are doing that in a way. They've shown videos where they send up their drone, spot fish with said drone, and then try to get over there and catch them.

I don't think I've actually seen any of them successfully catch the fish that way though.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Crusader wrote: It is annoyance, but thankfully in most cases it will pass because attention span and memory of a crowd are very short.
What was this thread about ... what site am I on ;-)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thresher is live again right now. Clear water!!!!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

kickingback wrote:Thresher is live again right now. Clear water!!!!
Ya I hope yall are out surf fishing this weekend, look how clear the gulf is north of surfside!
Add description
Add description
weekendyakker

Post by weekendyakker »

YES! Fingers are crossed it stays that way too!
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

Chubs wrote:
5fangers wrote:Speaking of exposing, anyone concerned about drone recon missions? Sending a drone up before launching to scout where people are.. it’s a possibility these days. Flight time and distance are getting better. Even DJI’s Spark is rated to about a mile on a good day.
Actually, these subject youtubers are doing that in a way. They've shown videos where they send up their drone, spot fish with said drone, and then try to get over there and catch them.

I don't think I've actually seen any of them successfully catch the fish that way though.
BlackTipH has done it a few times with Cobia, blackdrum, and Blacktips.

Extensive and DOPE footage.

BTW my YouTube channel is up.

Most the videos are from brown and root flat and the surround flats (up the sailboat channel and steadman’s) in Aransas Pass.

Here’s a link https://youtu.be/5IS_9yrx5Aw

Have fun at “my spots” lol
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Try making an educational fishing DVD product... only to have them paraphrase without any recognition. It's disrespect and only the lowest scum would do that anyway. Whatever, their channel still hasn't grown.. it would probably help them more if they smiled more. But still, they'll never learn it from those paraphrases and word snippets. Same with spots, people can know the spot, but they won't know when to go there, how to approach it, when not to go, how to fish it, where the sweet spot is etc etc. I'm not all that worried about people telling this or that spot. With Google earth anyone can find a piece of structure and fish it.... fish it on the wrong tide, fish it with no sign present, wrong time of year.. sure they can fish it.. but they won't be there when I show up.
LOL are you going to sit there and say (and really believe) that the information in your dvd is revolutionizing the Texas coastal fishing?

Also if the people BOUGHT you dvd at full price and decided to share that information with others; why are you upset? Someone still paid you.

Honestly, I’m more surprised I haven’t found copies or torrent rips of your DVD online yet. It’s incredibly easy to do and even harder chase down.

Good Luck with your fancy “Slug-Go” lure and “secret spots”
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I believe you are wrong Only1Lee.
Tobin HAS made a difference in many anglers fishing experience. It is a great presentation of facts about fishing the Texas bays and coast.
For someone asking others to watch their videos and bash others I don't think I will EVER visit your channel as I can tell you are NOT a very friendly angler and I have to wonder why you are even on this site with others that genuinely care about helping others.
Wow, just wow that you would make a comment like this because of your ignorance.
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

I’m sorry.

But if a business owner wants to come around and call people scum for sharing information. That makes him a piece of (insert whatever word of choice here)

By his own standards he’s taking business away from guides by taking Information that seasoned anglers know and use and selling it.

And helping anglers is what Youtube is about. I’ve seen 2 kinda of people post here.
1) those salty about other people sharing information on a FREE platform
2) and those thankful to those sharing information on a FREE platform

I make those vids so people can find where I’m fishing. See what I’m doing. And use that information to go catch fish themselves.

I haven’t and I won’t ask for donations. I make these vids because fishing is something I love to do. And sharing the information I’ve learned and have been taught is something I will gladly do WITHOUT CHARGING PEOPLE $$$ even though it costs me $$$

Sell your lures. Share your information.
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

I see it too often where people just toss hate at youtubers and feel that it is COMPLETELY justified because that information is “theirs”. Or it’s for a “select few”

That’s already wrong because that youtuber is posting a video there. LOL

But to think that water or areas of water are marked off to certain people is F’d up (in my opinion)

EVERYBODY deserves a F’ing amazing day of fishing. That’s the whole reason half of us love fishing so much and are conservationists.

But if you rob people of that chance they’re will never understand why fishing is fun and why it’s worth so much to some people.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Don't worry complainer. I and others will not come visit your pleasant channel with all it's welcoming bull (insert the best word to describe your post).
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Only1Lee wrote:I’m sorry.

But if a business owner wants to come around and call people scum for sharing information. That makes him a piece of (insert whatever word of choice here)

By his own standards he’s taking business away from guides by taking Information that seasoned anglers know and use and selling it.

And helping anglers is what Youtube is about. I’ve seen 2 kinda of people post here.
1) those salty about other people sharing information on a FREE platform
2) and those thankful to those sharing information on a FREE platform

I make those vids so people can find where I’m fishing. See what I’m doing. And use that information to go catch fish themselves.

I haven’t and I won’t ask for donations. I make these vids because fishing is something I love to do. And sharing the information I’ve learned and have been taught is something I will gladly do WITHOUT CHARGING PEOPLE $$$ even though it costs me $$$

Sell your lures. Share your information.
He didn't call them scum for sharing his info. He called them scum for sharing it without recognition or getting it wrong when they do share it. Now I admit "scum" might be a little too extreme a word to use but again he never said it bothered him that they were sharing the information. I really don't think he would mind the publicity if it's done in the right way. And he also said he wasn't worried about them sharing his spots either.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

People are free to do as they please. If people make YouTube videos and expose places others fish, well, it’s good for some, bad for others. I don’t do that, nor do I hotspot. Others do. Different strokes and all that.
If guys want to make and sell DVD’s, go for it. Fishing videos have been around for decades. Nobody gets rich off them. Information gets shared. And you simply CAN’T get all torqued off if people share information you’re selling or giving away. Nobody OWNS knowledge. Despite what they might think and try to tell you.
I’ve been fishing for over 35 years, during which time I’ve learned a lot on my own, from others, books, videos, magazines, and reading bathroom walls. NO one piece of information has been the end-all, be-all to fishing success. Each is just a grain of sand on the beach. Secret spots don’t stay secret. Secret tactics and knowledge always become publicly known. Fighting against these facts is like using a bailing bucket against an incoming tide.
With all the bitching and moaning in this place, I’d say a bunch of you guys need to get away from electronics and pick up a rod and reel and get in your plastic boats and paddle your way to happiness. Of course, this is all only my opinion.
“I love the poorly educated!”
Love,
Cuervo Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only1Lee

Post by Only1Lee »

Cuervo Jones wrote:People are free to do as they please. If people make YouTube videos and expose places others fish, well, it’s good for some, bad for others. I don’t do that, nor do I hotspot. Others do. Different strokes and all that.
If guys want to make and sell DVD’s, go for it. Fishing videos have been around for decades. Nobody gets rich off them. Information gets shared. And you simply CAN’T get all torqued off if people share information you’re selling or giving away. Nobody OWNS knowledge. Despite what they might think and try to tell you.
I’ve been fishing for over 35 years, during which time I’ve learned a lot on my own, from others, books, videos, magazines, and reading bathroom walls. NO one piece of information has been the end-all, be-all to fishing success. Each is just a grain of sand on the beach. Secret spots don’t stay secret. Secret tactics and knowledge always become publicly known. Fighting against these facts is like using a bailing bucket against an incoming tide.
With all the bitching and moaning in this place, I’d say a bunch of you guys need to get away from electronics and pick up a rod and reel and get in your plastic boats and paddle your way to happiness. Of course, this is all only my opinion.
Love,
Cuervo Jones

This ^^^
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: How many of you have had a YouTuber expose one of your favorite spots?

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Cuervo Jones wrote:People are free to do as they please. If people make YouTube videos and expose places others fish, well, it’s good for some, bad for others. I don’t do that, nor do I hotspot. Others do. Different strokes and all that.
Love,
Cuervo Jones

Cuervo for President!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

There is such a thing as intellectual property, and videos like those from Troutsupport certainly fall into this category. He obviously put a lot of work into the videos, made his own lure, etc. It's called entrepreneurship. How can you criticize that? If you don't want to buy the videos or use the lures, that's your prerogative, but the criticism is just ridiculous.