Some help about next week

Michael Meyer

Some help about next week

Post by Michael Meyer »

We have been snake bit recently so I was going to ask for some guidance before my next time on the water.

I was planning on taking my lovely bride of 43 years out next week. I was looking at Thursday because it looks like it might be a bit cooler. The extended forecast indicates a 15 mph wind from the SSE - gusting to 30 mph. Since we are older I am trying to find a location which is somewhat sheltered from the wind. (We live in Corpus Christi.) Also, since we are older we need a launch point which is user friendly.

I am thinking about launching from Rattlesnake Point Road Kayak Launch and paddling toward Rattlesnake Point and fishing the grass flats towards the shoreline. I have attached a picture showing what I have in mind.

I like to get on the water by sun up and we usually quit about mid-morning.

I was planning on throwing Super Spook, Jr.s (top water) and Trout Support Lures (for a soft plastic). I attached a photograph of the trout support lure and you can find it online at http://www.troutsupport.com. (I have every color but Stinky Pink.)

Since we have not been very successful recently I am open to any suggestions concerning location, time to fish, lures (type or color), etc.
Attachments
Trout Support Lure.jpg
Fishing at Rattlesnake Point.png
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Some help about next week

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Your bait selection is fine.. If It's good enough for Justin Styles it's good enough.

I think it's still a little early to be back on the shoreline in Port and Copano. if it was me, on that windy a day I would probably hit the pinches in the Lighthouse Lakes, or stay close to the south shoreline of Brown and Root. 15 to 30 is a bitch of a wind in a Boat.. much less a kayak. You might have about 2 hours at daylight until 830am that is decent. After that, I say talk her to breakfast and go for a walk on the beach, take a nap with her that day.
Attachments
IMG_E322DECF703E-1.jpeg
Michael Meyer

Post by Michael Meyer »

Three dumb questions, three not-so dumb questions and two comments.

Dumb questions

1. What do you consider the south shoreline of B&R? (Are you talking about the shoreline I have indicated in red or yellow on the attached map?)
B&R.png
2. If it is the shoreline in yellow is there a good launch point nearby?
3. What do you mean by the pinches of LHL? (I have attached a map showing what I think you mean.)
LHL.png
Not so dumb questions:

1. What color spook jr.s and TSLs should we be throwing this time of year (and why)?
2. When is a good time to throw the stinky pink?
3. How do the TSL lures work with Pro-Cure mullet?

Comments:

1. I love the TSL lures. I have told several stores in the area they need to carry them.
2. The comments about the wife are great. She is, after 43 years of marriage, my best friend. And she loves fishing more than I do. Her first Christmas gift to me was a rod and reel (because she figured I would need to take her fishing when I went). I am afraid if we spend the afternoon in bed we may not spend the entire time napping! :lol: (You know the stupid ED commercials with the warning at the end? ((i.e.- "Before engaging in sexual activity check with you doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to engage in sexual activity") I told my wife to stick a mirror under my nose - if it fogged up I was healthy enough to engage in sexual activity! :roll: [/size]
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The only time I fish in those winds are when its a tournament. I would not suggest launching at Rattlesnake point in the high winds. As you drift away from the shoreline you have no protection. My opinion is you will do more paddling than fishing. The lakes my have a few folks in there, but more protection from the wind and it can be fun exploring.
Another suggestion might be on the protected side of Hog Island. The paddle over might be nice in the morning but a real pain coming back in high winds.
You could also launch at the end of Port Bay Rd. Paddle to your right and fish the protected shoreline and use the higher winds to help on the way back.
I would suggest you check the conditions very carefully before launching. Its tough for an experienced younger paddler much less folks our age.
Wind is our enemy.
BC1

Post by BC1 »

Go to lighthouse lakes. There are two more cuts just south of Harbor island on the lighthouse lakes side, fish the southern most one. Live bait is working best right now. Use a bottom rig. Specs in the pass. Reds in the marsh cuts. There are some flounder around in that area as well.
Michael Meyer

Post by Michael Meyer »

Thank you so much. I tell people that when I was 30 I thought mental and physical strength were like the fable of King Midas' bag of gold - no matter how much you used the bag would refill itself. When I turned 40 I realized that fable was not true when it comes to physical and mental strength. When I turned 50 I began looking to find the hole in the damn bag. :D
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yes, the yellow shoreline... but like the others have said, probably shorter to hit the LHL. Your winds will probably start at 10-12 for an hour then hit 15 by 830 or 9.. most kayaker don't like 15. but If you are tucked away in the lakes you'll have the best protection around. I wouldn't keep the lady out long in winds above 18 though...

By pinches in the LHL I mean anywhere the land mass closes together... this forms a pinch. it's all covered in the Shallow Redfish DVD that we offer on our website. Lures don't catch fish.. Knowledgeable anglers catch fish. Its the Indian not the arrow... Yes, I am saying that even tho I created the TSL Grasswalker. You have to know where to throw it to catch fish. It is a great tool for the job you're using it for though.

What colors.. Any natural colored spook junior is fine, Bone, Bone flash, trout, mullet, bone, bone, or bone. Well, that's the shortlist. For the TSL Bone Diamond can't be beat, the Roach is also good in sandy water after the wind gets up... But don't worry so much about the colors.. focus on hunting down fish and reading the signs of fish .. .bait numbers and how they are acting, birds can also help you find fish like gulls and terns, etc etc. there is a lot more to it obviously but that will get you going. The pink is also good in green or sandy green water. In clear clear water you want to stick with natural colors, but I will say this... I've broken about every color rule there is so I don't think its a huge thing.. the main thing is that you dont think too much about it and change lures constantly.. new anglers get the idea that 'Maybe this color will work' ect ect.. and change lures way to ofter.. the fish don't care, they never got a memo or email on their little waterproof iphones telling them that a color shouldn't be eatin today. Food moves, if it looks like food, and it moves.. it must be food.. that's all they think. We offer our videos streaming so you and the missus still have time to watch the Shallow Reds video before you go. Pro-cure is great on any bait.. but it's not there to attract fish. Adding a scent to a bait mainly helps the fish hold onto your bait longer so you can feel them and then set the hook.