Sea Rim Trip Advice

Fishing Triathlete

Sea Rim Trip Advice

Post by Fishing Triathlete »

Myself and the family will be headed to Sea Rim State Park in a few weeks to camp / fish. I plan on kayak fishing in the morning and surf fishing with the family in the evenings (I'll probably just put out bait on the bottom and see what we catch). Anyone have any advice to help me out on this trip. I've looked at Google Earth and know I will be pedaling (when I can) up the long alley to Fence Lake and likely into Salt Lake at some point. Tips as to location, lures, bait, anything you can give to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance.
Wag

Re: Sea Rim Trip Advice

Post by Wag »

If you are there, you might consider fishing the surf also for bull reds and sharks. Pick up some bait at Sea Pony in High Island and have a blast. And, be safe.
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Surf and wade fishing at sea rim state park is awesome. I go all the time. Camping there is very nice, as it’s truly out of the way of the industry and very very quiet. You’ll like it. Bring plenty of mosquito spray if you’re planning on fishing the marsh and/or if you’re camping on a pad and not the beach.

Live mullet for reds in the surf and a bloody cut croaker for shark. I’ve seen some huge reds come out of that surf.
Fishing Triathlete

I take it the family will be good in the Gulf to swim and mess around during the day? I’m also getting the feeling from the few responses that kayaking in the marsh may not be as productive I I’d thought it would be?
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

We swim there. No issues. Just call ahead and ask the ranger what’s up. Sometimes in the year there’s sea weed, but it’s been very nice so far this year.

Fishing the marsh is fine. You’d do fine either way. Most people just fish the surf though.
Fishing Triathlete

You just covered my biggest worry that the area was not clean or safe for them to swim. I’m gonna give the marsh a go several days and if it’s calm try the kayak past the surf .
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

It is a about a mile paddle back to Fence Lake. The southeast side of Fence has some shallow flats that may be good for sight casting. You can also drive west to Clam Lake which is in the McFaddin Refuge. South end of Clam Lake can be good for reds. You can put in at the bridge over Salt Bayou and paddle east. There are a few ponds or wide spots in the bayou that hold reds reds and flounder. Have caught specks in the main bayou.
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Since hurricane Ike, sea rim has become one of the most expensive parks in Texas. It’s very clean. Regular trash clean ups happen there, although any sea weed, plants or sea life usually isn’t removed. The beach is probably one of the best places in this area to visit. Clean, quiet and safe! There’s one or two park police officers that’ll patrol. Hurricane Harvey screwed it up a little, but we went last weekend and it was beautiful. It’s only a 20 to 30 minute drive from my house, so it’s our regular spot!
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

The only warnings I’d really give is - mosquito spray! And (for me and my family this is not a problem because we enjoy all wildlife) there’s a pretty large number of banded water snakes and cotton mouth snakes in the marsh. Also, alligators do live there as well.