Flesh Eating Bacteria?

Tx_Reds

Flesh Eating Bacteria?

Post by Tx_Reds »

Usually I brush these things off and shrug my shoulders. But most recently, a local near Sabine had contracted the bacteria out of Keith lake and had to have his leg amputated very shortly after finding out. And then once I asked my co workers if they had heard anything about said individual, they knew the angler and it hit even closer.

Any suggestions about getting in our waters and fishing without fear of contracting this bacteria?

Thanks Everyone, Stay Safe
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flesh Eating Bacteria?

Post by kickingback »

Just make sure you do not have any OPEN WOUNDS or CUTS. Any abrasion in the skin or even those with very sensitive skin in some cases can contract the bacteria.
If you have an open wound or cut you can use liquid skin or some sealed medical patches (you can buy both Amazon). I have used the liquid skin and it worked well. I kept applying a coat every 2-3 hours to make sure.
Bottom line is don't go if your damaged. No worries as long as you are healthy and don't drink the water.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Life and limbs are too precious to risk. This bacteria seems to exist in various amounts and circumstances up and down the coast. I've known two fishing friends that have been seriously infected by this stuff.

I have worn waste high breathable waders whenever kayak/wade fishing during the past six years. What very little discomfort I might have felt during hot days was well worth my peace of mind.
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

I carry a small bottle of Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) in a first aid kit. It's like liquid soap, used in hospitals. Any cuts or scrapes I clean right away, on the water. You can find Hibiclens, or better yet the cheaper generic, in CVS.
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

kickingback wrote:Just make sure you do not have any OPEN WOUNDS or CUTS. Any abrasion in the skin or even those with very sensitive skin in some cases can contract the bacteria.
If you have an open wound or cut you can use liquid skin or some sealed medical patches (you can buy both Amazon). I have used the liquid skin and it worked well. I kept applying a coat every 2-3 hours to make sure.
Bottom line is don't go if your damaged. No worries as long as you are healthy and don't drink the water.

Im going to have to look into that. I appreciate the advice. Are you putting this on ANY abrasion and scratch or just "cuts/open wounds".
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

Kayak Kid wrote:Life and limbs are too precious to risk. This bacteria seems to exist in various amounts and circumstances up and down the coast. I've known two fishing friends that have been seriously infected by this stuff.

I have worn waste high breathable waders whenever kayak/wade fishing during the past six years. What very little discomfort I might have felt during hot days was well worth my peace of mind.
That's the weirdest part about all of this, the bacteria can be found in one part of the waterways but then 1 mile away, you have more people interacting in the water and are perfectly fine. Hell, I was in that water just a month or so back and I know for a fact i have minor little scratched due to spools but i came out fine. My family and I cant afford me to lose any limbs.

I have entertained the thought of waders multiple times but from my past experience with waders (fished Alaska for ten years ) I don't recall them being exactly comfortable, especially if I had to sit down. If you don't mind sharing, what brand waders are you using that allow you to sit comfortably for hours and fish?
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

eightweight wrote:I carry a small bottle of Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) in a first aid kit. It's like liquid soap, used in hospitals. Any cuts or scrapes I clean right away, on the water. You can find Hibiclens, or better yet the cheaper generic, in CVS.
Eight, I will definitely be looking in to grabbing some of this soap. Is it strong enough to where your able to use the same water your trying to protect against to wash it off? Or are you carrying a separate thing of water just for this reason ?
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Be prepared for the worst, but it’s no reason live in fear. Sometimes I think the media just want us sitting on a couch, watching TV, fearing all that is outside because life is trying to kill us! Also, no amount of clothing will save you if you fall in one day... you can get flesh eating bacteria from a spider bite too and there’s hardly a thing you can do to prevent that, as I’m assuming most of you have done your own work on your homes, like crawling in an attic where spiders might be, etc.... how many of us walked around in Harvey water too?

Anyways, I think no one is going to change anyone’s minds here, but just be prepared and if you think something might be infected after being in the water, go to the doctor! Don’t treat it yourself!
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Tx_Reds wrote:
eightweight wrote:I carry a small bottle of Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) in a first aid kit. It's like liquid soap, used in hospitals. Any cuts or scrapes I clean right away, on the water. You can find Hibiclens, or better yet the cheaper generic, in CVS.
Eight, I will definitely be looking in to grabbing some of this soap. Is it strong enough to where your able to use the same water your trying to protect against to wash it off? Or are you carrying a separate thing of water just for this reason ?
I wash a cut with bottled water from my cooler and a little Hibiclens, slap a waterproof band aide on it, then fish on. I'll watch it for any signs of infection. If any, then straight to the doctor. But I've never had a problem.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Tx_Reds wrote:
kickingback wrote:Just make sure you do not have any OPEN WOUNDS or CUTS. Any abrasion in the skin or even those with very sensitive skin in some cases can contract the bacteria.

Im going to have to look into that. I appreciate the advice. Are you putting this on ANY abrasion and scratch or just "cuts/open wounds".
ANY cut or abrasion that drew blood. If you have a small area still healing in a small scratch, even that small 1 mm point on your skin will contract the bacteria. They seek out live tissue to attack. Skins is the most durable body part we have and it protects us from all the bacteria in the world but as you know any openings invite bacteria, hence colds because you inhale.
Just cover anything you think MIGHT let bacteria into your inner body.
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

I appreciate the info everyone
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Yeah man, just use common sense. The internetz says you have a .000004 percent chance of ever getting it and as long as you don’t have a weak immune system and/or a gaping wound, you’re ok.

So, probably rethink paddling if you’re fighting the flu and just had your arm stitched up from that recent accident....

Or, if you step on a broken beer bottle someone so graciously left behind while out, then seek medical attention.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I always end up hooking my hands during my outings.

I carry a little bottle of Purell hand sanitizer to wipe my hands if I get a cut then try to put a waterproof bandaid over it.

A cut anywhere else I put a waterproof bandaid with Neosporin antibiotic cream on it.

Y'all think that does any good or should I be using something else?
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I keep a small hand sanitizer in my tackle box and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and hand sanitizer in my vehicle. I think most on this board know if they see any signs of infection to immediately get it checked out. We have all accepted the risks that come along with our hobby and the best we can do is to try to prevent them, i.e., wear a PFD, clean a wound or avoid the water of open wound, etc. I think our risk of dying (or being seriously injured) on the drive down or back home is much greater than the risk of flesh eating bacteria.
Michael Meyer

Post by Michael Meyer »

This does not have anything to do with fishing. Four years ago my daughter gave birth to twins by caesarean. She went home in four days and was doing fine (we thought). Five days after she arrived home she began to run a fever and the wound site looked very red. We called the doctor who said it did not appear to be anything abnormal. The next day she was in intense pain. Again we called her doctor who said he did not need to see her before her next scheduled appointment. The next morning I walked into her house to handle my shift of taking care of the twins. The smell of dead, necrotic tissue was overpowering. My son-in-law took my daughter to the doctor first thing in the morning. The doctor walked into her examining room, smelled the odor, and without even looking at her sent her to the hospital. She was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis (the flesh eating bacteria).That afternoon she had emergency surgery, the surgeon (thank God for the surgeon) removed a section of her abdominal wall (25" in circumference, 6" in width, 6" in depth). Two days later she had a second surgery. She was placed on an antibiotic cocktail (thank God for the infectious disease doctor) for six months and was in critical condition for 11 days, in the intensive care unit for over three weeks, and on a wound vac waiting for the surgical site to heal for 5 months.

My point is that this stuff is nothing to play around with. It is very aggressive and depending on what bacteria you pick up (she had proteus - as the nurse said, a very bad draw) it can become life threatening in before you really know you are sick. Do what you have to do to be safe and be very careful with this stuff.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

If you get a cut from a wet hook or a shrimp horn and that bacteria is on it, soap is not going to help you. Once that stuff is in your bloodstream, the only thing that will help is your own immune system or some powerful antibiotics. You'll have clean hands when you go to the hospital, though. :lol:
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

This was covered on a recent CCA podcast with Dean of Slowride Guide Services (yes I know he sponsors this forum).

What gear do you need to help prevent cuts on oysters when wading in the bays?
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

TimmyT140 wrote:If you get a cut from a wet hook or a shrimp horn and that bacteria is on it, soap is not going to help you. Once that stuff is in your bloodstream, the only thing that will help is your own immune system or some powerful antibiotics. You'll have clean hands when you go to the hospital, though. :lol:
Ya I figured. I did just buy a tiny spray bottle of foaming Neosporin. Works like peroxide and it fits easily in a pocket. Would it help? No idea but it gives peace of mind... Not that I'm too worried but why not take the precautions if you can.

So I'm curious, the guy at Keith lake that lost his leg, was he sick or fighting an infection, like with flu or a cold?

How do they think the bacteria got into him? Hard to see getting a cut on the legs in a kayak unless he had an open wound already.

Speaking of open wound, if you have a cut from earlier in the week but it's scabbed over, I'd guess it's protected unless you peel of the scab?
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

im glad i wear waders when in the yak... just need to buy some new breathable ones... neoprene waders in summer = shweaty balls... i also never stick my hand in a bucket of live shrimp i hate those damn horns those big shrimp dont play... always wear a glove lol
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

screwston420 wrote:im glad i wear waders when in the yak... just need to buy some new breathable ones... neoprene waders in summer = shweaty balls... i also never stick my hand in a bucket of live shrimp i hate those damn horns those big shrimp dont play... always wear a glove lol

You would think i wrote that one.....great minds think alike! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
weekendyakker

Post by weekendyakker »

I always have a small tube of superglue with me. A decent temp repair on gear and works wonders on most cuts.
Learned that lesson when an oyster ripped through the side of my shoe and my foot.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Flesh eating bacteria is almost always in the water on the coast. It has been there long before we were. There are things that increase the % of the bacteria in the water but even the beach front has it. It is from the back lakes all the way to the beach front. It can be contracted in all the ways astutely mentioned above, but in almost all cases with those with weakened immune systems. Not always with those with cut or open sores,... some with scabs, some shrimp horns or sticks from fish or even pin perch, sometimes a rubbed skin patch from a sneaker with sand or shell in it...

Myths
1. You can clean a wound with bleach, Hibiclens, peroxicide, or betadine iodine. False. If it gets below your skin, by the time you get to clean the wound it's already in your blood stream.

2. Covering a wound with new skin or some patch is acceptable. Let's say this, I like the idea of it, but this has never been tested, that stuff cracks and peels up. I will say I did use this under the same thought for a while but I wouldn't today realizing that the seal has no integrity from a micro biological standpoint.

3. Closing a cut after getting cut form an oyster is acceptable. No, the oyster has a high percentage chance of having this bacteria and the cutting edges of shell push it below the skin and it's in the wound and in the blood before you can get it out. Fact is you can't get it out. This is is also true for any bay or brackish water crustacean, finfish, crab, shrimp, catfish, baitfish, etc. etc.

4. It only affects those with failing livers and weak immune systems. This is partially true, but only a few of the people that get it realized they had weak immune systems or liver.. it's always someone else that has the condition... not us. We don't know our true immunity level until we get hit with something like this.

5. A truly healthy person with a solid immune system and healthy liver will be fine even after getting cut, and even without sterilization. This is true, but see 4. above.

So what should you do.. .Should we freak out and quit fishing.. Should we 'sweaty ballz' it with waders in 102 July Heatz? NO!

The number one thing to use against this bacteria is your brain. Know what the infection looks like and know how to react / respond when you see it and take action immediately. That's easier said than done. When you're the one with a little red spot after a fishing trip... and then you get a fever. You are thinking.. dang it, I caught a cold after my trip.. what do you do.

Here's what I suggest.
1. Do a thorough search for 'Flesh eating bacteria symptoms' and images. Learn what it looks like and what the symptoms are.
2. Take action, if anything close appears and you have symptoms that are close... take action. Go to the doctor. You'll only be out your copay if it's nothing. That's not a bad thing.
3. THIS IS KEY. When you get to the Doctor you must tell them. "I have been in saltwater and there is a chance I've contracted flesh eating bacteria and I request to be treated as such until you confirm that it is not". You have to tell the doctors all the circumstances. More than a few of the lost limbs have been because people went to the doctors and the doctors sent them home with the wrong antibiotics and then a couple days later the person then comes back and it's progressed.
4. I'll reiterate. DEMAND they treat you as if it is flesh eating bacteria. Yes, you might have to not be the cool guy for a bit, but you will get evaluate correctly.
5. I think having sterilizing chemicals is a good move, but you should know that it is not a cure or stop gap to knowing how to react once cut or once you see an infection.
6. You can make your own decision about wearing the waders in the summer. They do offer more protection since you won't be in contact with the water. But you can still get an oyster cut through them and you can still get stuck by a shrimp in the hand.

We have to use our heads to combat this disease, all the rest is heresy and opinions. It has been around on the earth for eons and will continue. We're probably doing things that make it worse but we're also much more in contact with it by our chosen lifestyles.

Am I going to 'sweaty ballz' it with waders. No. Am I going to quit fishing, no. I'm going to know how to react when I get a symptom. I'm going to not push the envelope when I have a sore. I'm going to be smart and use the brain god gave us.

I will say this about foot wear. The SIMMS neoprene guard sock is the thickest wading sock on the market. I use it all summer and it keeps shell bits and sand out of my wading shoes. Even if you get the least expensive wading shoe, get a pair of these neoprene socks if you are going to be walking in the water wading or floundering. I love them, they are 10x more comfy than socks. They give me protection from chaffing and pokes and cuts. That keeps me safe. Plus they last a long time. I've had mine like almost 10 years.

I'm almost 50 and I'll continue to wet wade in the summer until I find out I"m not capable or healthy enough to do so... I hope that's around 90.
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

Extremely well written Trout, Thank you !
Tx_Reds

Post by Tx_Reds »

Well,
I went out this weekend and couldn't have asked for better conditions. Got into the fish within 5 minutes of throwing my line out and best of all, I still have all my limbs. I could see where some might get this "infection" if you decide to get out and wade fish. Some of these spots have oyster reefs that could easily do some damage. Its impressive that those things can be razor sharp.

Fish on everybody and stay safe !
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I try real hard not to get cut during the week. No paddling if I do. On the water I wear waders in the summer, use lip grips and pliers to handle fish. If I get hooked then I squeeze blood out then I'm paranoid the rest of the trip. I'm getting older and worry more about that stuff.