Thursday night, May 31 - Tiki?

mwatson71

Re: Thursday night, May 31 - Tiki?

Post by mwatson71 »

I was going to let Shoffer write up the report as he was the only one of the three of us that managed to catch a keeper. He ended up with two specks and a redfish. Here is my report:

I started in the canals at about 3:30 a.m. with a Voo Doo mullet which was pretty effective until it ended up between the slats of someone's dock where it still remains hooked on the underside. Bummer because it was fresh out of the box and my first time to try the Vood Doo mullet. I liked it. So then I switched to a custom tandem rig that I made out of internally weighted swim baits. I landed a few trout on it until the bodies were torn up. Now I know why tandem rigs have jig heads and replaceable bodies. I'm not saying I wouldn't use the internally weighted swim baits as a tandem again because I really like the way it fished. It felt better than a typical TTF tandem rig which, if you have read any of my prior fishing reports, you know I am a huge fan of them. And a TTF tandem swim shad was the next bait of choice. Landed a few more small specks when Shoffer said they were going to move back to the bay.

So around 5:30 as they pedaled I paddled out of the canals and back to the bay. I went back into a very shallow marsh (about 6-12" deep) and saw a few tailing reds and some water boiling. A quick flip of the tandem rig in front of a nose down red resulted in a 16" red in the net. A few more casts and another undersized red. As I paddled, I saw a huge wake take off about 10 yards ahead of me. Would it take if I could hit it front of it? A spot on cast and it was on. A little line stripping, a little pulling of the kayak, and then it started coming back towards me. Under the kayak, around the kayak. Getting fun. Nice red. Grab the net. Start to lift him into the net. Then a "Good bye Mr. Redfish" as I watched him swim away. I looked down at the bent hook, pulled out my scissors, and went to a Usual Suspects split tail in mardi gras. Caught a couple more undersized reds when Shoffer said they were headed in. So five hours after my trip began it ended, with the same number of fish on my stringer - 0.

The weather was fine with not too much wind but there was no tide movement or current. I will add one of the highlights was when I was fishing in the canals. I pulled up to an underwater light and on my first cast landed a trout. I hear this kid a few houses over scream at a few of his friends "Mad skills man. We have been fishing all night and haven't caught anything and that dude rolls up on a light and catches a fish on his first cast. Mad skills."
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, thanks. Sounds like a good outing, active at least.

So now we know what the 'm' is for - Mad Skills Watson!!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: Great report Sir! I use the Berkley 3" swim shad which has the weight in the bait. I use them exclusively at night in any light scenario. They have never failed me in firetiger color. Only bad thing is when they get chewed up a bit after catching some fish the lure comes off the weight many times. I solved this by carrying a pack of dollar store super glue. I simply dry them a bit with my towel and add glue and go back to fishing it until it is ripped off completely and then I will just put on a new rig. I keep a bunch of tandems pre rigged so I don't spend time on water rigging.
Well done Sir!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

KB, it was actually you who inspired me to start making my own tandem rigs! This was my first attempt and certainly will not be my last. In fact, yesterday I made a couple more with Tsunami Pro holographic shad.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's awesome!
I actually have three plastic zip lock bags of different tandem rigs to use.
I make the tandem rigs and use the small snack size zip locks to put them in individually.
I then put the tandem rigs in the one of three larger zip lock bags each marked, large, small and mixed.
I put my 3" or smaller in the small bag.
I put all 3.5" or larger in the large bag.
I rig a few with big and small and different color lures as "fish finders" to see what size lure or color they will hit.
I also make a separate bag for shrimp type tandem rigs or buggz jigs.
I find it easier to use the bags and you can reuse them many times. You can also store your torn off rigs or damaged rigs to fix at home later and not have the jigs and line all over your kayak while fishing.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I brought home two legal specks caught in underwater lights on 4" Down South Glo on a 1/8oz jighead trolled slowing through the lights.

Caught multiple dink trout in surface lights on a Yozuri.

Caught 5 reds on a grass flat at sunrise on a bone superspook - only one legal - the rest were 17-18 inches, but all were fun. Nothing beats topwater reds at sunrise!

Winds were 8 mph all night and morning - temps were not bad either.

On the water at 3 am - off at 9 am.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Looks like The Fishing AttorneysImageImage️ (Dandydon & Shoffer) have finally found a third lawyer partner (MWatson71)! Shoffer & I launched a bit earlier than Mike, but he still outfished me... Image. Boo hoo.
Yes, the 2 junior attorneys caught all the legal fish while I was busy landing 6 undersized specks in the canal lights, all caught on white curly-tail Gulps. I was so bummed out I refused to go chase redfish (after sun-up) in the shallow W. Bay marsh like my 2 busy companions.
So I stayed in the prime 3-5 ft. baywater hunting for more trout. Sadly they weren't there! There were at least 4 guided parties of waders out there, catching nothing just like me. When the guides are striking out, it's usually time to pursue a DIFFERENT tactic or fishing spot!
Since we try hard to explain our failures, I'll say that two factors hurt our daytime fishing:
(1) hardly any tide movement; water was "dead" out there; hardly any visible baitfish; and (2) the baywater was also quite clear. I could clearly see the bottom in 3-4 ft. water! That can be bad for fishing. My favorite water color is classic "trout-green" with maybe 18" to 2-ft. visibility, max.
I give the young lawyers credit for besting the old Senior Partner.
(But it won't happen again)... Image
See you on the water, men.
IMG_6821.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

kickingback wrote:That's awesome!
I actually have three plastic zip lock bags of different tandem rigs to use.
I make the tandem rigs and use the small snack size zip locks to put them in individually.
I then put the tandem rigs in the one of three larger zip lock bags each marked, large, small and mixed.
I put my 3" or smaller in the small bag.
I put all 3.5" or larger in the large bag.
I rig a few with big and small and different color lures as "fish finders" to see what size lure or color they will hit.
I also make a separate bag for shrimp type tandem rigs or buggz jigs.
I find it easier to use the bags and you can reuse them many times. You can also store your torn off rigs or damaged rigs to fix at home later and not have the jigs and line all over your kayak while fishing.
That is exactly what I was going to do. I planned on putting each one in a separate Ziploc snack bag and then putting those into a quart sized bag. I was mostly inspired by the ability to pick swim baits that as a single are effective and then doubling my chances by rigging as a tandem. I actually think it more than doubles my chances as in "the sum is greater than the parts" theory.

I like your "fish finders" idea also so will give that a try as well.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

After bringing home that flounder from Saturday night, I casually mentioned to my wife about some guys in that fishing forum are going night fishing on Thursday. She said oh, are you planning on going? Told her ya, I'm thinking about it.

Think I got my fish pass!

So I'm planning on making it assuming nothing major comes up in the mean time. Boyah!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I am planning on fishing Thursday night/Friday morning. Location and time to be determined.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Any place except Sea Isle. I'm sick of that spot. Any of you yakkers got any midnight launch ideas for this Thursday night? Bring it on & let the DEVIL take the hind-most!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Tiki is so convenient it is hard not to consider it.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Are you joining us, Capt. Watson?
Shoffer is deciding on our launch point, but I see that 50% chance of rain & vote we bring slickers & fish canals w/ some covered boat docks. Get it? Hope you're onboard this Thursday night Titanic, captain!

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I'm good with anywhere that touches Houston or Brazoria county as long as there is not lightning :) Rain doesn't bother me.

Is Sargent to far/ worth it, might be out of the storm? SLP sounded good last time y'all talked about it.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Dandydon wrote:...fish canals w/ some covered boat docks.
Ohhh, is that what y'all do if lightning storms start coming and just wait it out? Or do you get the hell out of the water :)

Honest question, I don't know the answer. I'm sure you are safest in the car and wait it out.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

We shelter under boat docks until the rain passes. Been doing it for over 50 years. Still alive, I think.
Get outdoors & challenge yourself before you fall apart. End of sermon. See you soon.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I am thinking Lake Como/Waterman's with a 11 pm launch. With those tides, SLP will be a little dangerous at night. I am not opposed to Tiki/Causeway, but I prefer lower winds and tides to fish the Causeway.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Well I'm good with anything. My thoughts are the tiki, specifically the causeway has a lot of cover should storms roll in?

Also I'd imagine trout would be more abundant there with the greater tide and close to the pass, but y'all are the black belt night fishing experts so I'll go wherever the heard goes.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Good luck, guys - should be a good night out.

A consideration on location - It is a big tide time for all areas and so some strong flow in areas. Now, flow is good for fishing but also may impact the amount of work required to get around. Just something else to consider on your planning.

Tiki will have the strongest flow of any of the nighttime areas, and it looks like a strong incoming from midnight to 8AM of close to 2' or more! I would definitely say no to going to the causeway with that kind of flow! And consider timing of your planned movement if going to Tiki. The flow can help or hinder. I have experienced both when there. I have also found that the fish seem to like that kind of flow - a bit of a conundrum!

Anyway - have fun!!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Listen to Capt. Shoffer (The Night Warrior) when he analyzes the wind, rain, Moon & tide factors.
As Carly Simon sang from "The Spy Who Loved Me" (James Bond,1977): "Nobody does it better."
So the launch spot is Lake Como (Waterman's Restaurant) and launch time is 11pm, tomorrow night. Thanks!
Hope to see some of you big-talkers there. Bring your rain slickers, your sense of humor, & your "A game" or nothing at all.
IMG_5951.JPG

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

So meet at the Waterman’s lot? Not sure where the launch there is. When fishing Como I have always launched at GISP.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Waterman's has a parking lot in front of the marina/restaurant and there is an overflow/boat ramp parking lot across the street.
The launch is on the east side of Waterman's. You drive into the main parking lot in front and turn right to go through the small drive to get to the launch ramp where you can back into the ramp and launch. Then just drive across the street and park.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Water ... -94.949303
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Is parking free or do we need to carry cash?

I (unfortunately) made a lunch time stop to bass pro and am all ready with glass minnow imitations I saw in the lights last weekend - as soon as I tie some leaders up :)

PS, I saw glass minnows in the green lights last week lol. They were 2" long. Christmas Bay.

-Edit-

KB I think you are saying this:
Pull into the west side entrance, swing around (maybe get your stuff ready before you swing around), back up down the ramp.
Add description
Add description
Unload then go park.

Though I'll note I bought my kayak wheels since my question about boat ramp parking etiquette. I'm thinking I'll just unload at the parking space then cart myself down and take my wheels with me.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Here's a little secret to keep in your back pocket when launching at Waterman's Restaurant:
Shoffer is the attorney for the restaurant owners! Ha ha. We never pay a "launch fee" there. Don't go around looking for trouble.
Best advice is to get in & out fast when launching at that ramp. Sometimes powerboats launch there, too. Parking across the street to stay clear of restaurant customers is also recommended.
Good manners go a long way in kayaking & life. Tight lines & bright lights to all.

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Alright fellas, the fishing attorneys have our backs incase we get our vehicles impounded!!!

So I think I'll setup my yak at the boat parking lot across the street, then just cart across the street and take my wheels with me. Super easy and fast launch that way both in and out

Looking forward to meeting yall and catching some whopper Gaftops tomorrow!