cove area, hugo park rd launch

screwston420

cove area, hugo park rd launch

Post by screwston420 »

thinking of heading out this way this morning... fished it once before and im pretty sure i saw a shark attack something RIGHT near the launch... was not small but anyways... there was a TON of duck hunters that day... anyone had any luck fishing this marsh area? just looking for spots to apply stuff ive seen on Tobins shallow reds DVD
measured distance on this route was 8 miles wow LOL i think i need a trolling motor soon but i am gettin pretty buff wife not complaining lol
any tips or past experience is appreciated... not lookin for ppls spots just opinions on this place im open to other places if anyone would like to suggest a different area. not looking for exact spots again like i said as I like to learn and figure things out on my own but any help is appreciated especially with the conditions predicted, I value you all of you guys opinions greatly :P

am I in the right marsh they speak of?

i haven't caught any reds or trout for that matter since buying the DVD however last weekend i launched here and fished this area till i dozed off in the kayak and almost had the rod ripped from my hand and I did find some reds, saw some blow ups and had a few nice hits but no hookups, spooked a few reds so i'm getting closer lol
also took these short drone videos at swan lake boat ramp... not that great as i was only testing out the new 5.8ghz antennas I installed in the RC and drone as well... damn phantom started losing signal constantly before i could even get it 50 feet from me... seems to have worked
https://youtu.be/IAiO6eW7NCA

and

https://youtu.be/08kkN42sQGU
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: cove area, hugo park rd launch

Post by Neumie »

I'm not too familiar with your East Houston launch and have some knowledge of the Freeport area, so I really can't comment on the fishing.

But you're fishing one extreme side of Houston to another. If it were me I'd fish waters whichever were closer to me, learn them well, hone my skills, then start exploring and applying what I learned to new areas.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Yeah that's what I'm doing today I live on the east just northeast side of Houston like Highway 90 area almost Sheldon was it in Freeport because the kids wanted to go down there to the beach I'd like to fish the east side more often but lately with all the wind the water levels were so low you only thing you were going to catch were gar but the water levels are back up the salinity is coming back up it was totally fresh figured now would be a good time to go hopefully got good visibility and not chocolate milk I love Fishin out in Anahuac area I caught my first red wading out there 24 inch keeper last summer
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I see a lot of people talk about fishing the spillway in Trinity Bay, that's just a short drive from where you're fishing in Cove, they say launch at McCollum Park. You can google 'spillway Trinity Bay' and you will find a lot of info about that area, some threads on here, even. And other nearby good spots to try - here's just one:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=141053
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Yeah I've been contemplating fishing the spillway for a few months just have to pull the trigger not looking forward to that giant Hill at McCollum Park to get down to the water.. finally got into at least one fish today on super spook one knocker. 17 and a half inch trout daughters will be happy at brought them a fish home to eat although they prefer flounder LOL went down to Oak Island had to go to that far south to find some decent water...Image

Called it quits early that sun is brutal
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Congrats on the trout. I'm getting better at catching reds thanks to the DVDs but still not sure what to do to catch trout, I've only ever lucked into them.

The tip by Neumie is great I think. I myself am guilty of fishing a few vastly different areas of west Houston and Palacios. I'd probably learn faster if I just stick to one. Both those areas are pretty different types of fishing, Palacios has deeper water and not many marsh options, west Houston is all marsh and very little deep water, very little grass too from what I've found thus far (not explored Christmas bay yet though...) . Seeing as I'm in a kayak, I'm trending to focus on the marsh areas more till I feel I'm proficient, then I'll tackle the deeper water.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

For marsh fishing in the Trinity Bay area, you might try launching at the park in Anahuac and paddling over to the delta-marsh at Jack's Pocket. Might still be fresh for trout, but flounder and reds are usually pretty easy to come by there.

On the spillway, if you can go during the week, I'd suggest that. On weekends, certain times of the year, it can get covered with power boats who aren't very accommodating and a very territorial.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

thank you I will def. use that info yaklash :)