Night lights analysis for the Freeport to San Luis pass area

Chubs

Night lights analysis for the Freeport to San Luis pass area

Post by Chubs »

I was going to hold this info till after the tourney, but Dandy Don suggested this might give teams more options and I agree.

So here is what I found yesterday morning.

I had went to fish a little area of Drum bay that had docks and lights apparent from google earth - arrived at 4AM but unfortunately the lights were not on. So what do I do? I went on a scouting trip for next time!

Here is what I found:

1 - Freeport, northeast side, saw about 2 lit docks and on green light. At the entrance to the ICW was a dock with ultrabright lights - lit up and I didn't see anyone fishing them. Down the middle cut I saw another doc with a 120V light, and in the same cut there was an underwater green light. If you are just night fishing it's probably decent, not as many night lights as I'd like. The bad thing is the nearest marsh is like 2 miles away paddle so it's hard to do anything else. The launch is also right into the ICWW, which is ok but you need to be cautious at night.

2 - Little drum bay spot had no lights lit. Some docks have ultra bright lights, but they were not on. Bad location.

3 - Cedar cut, saw 2-3 docks lit up with 120V lights and one underwater green light - nobody home at those locations so they are probably always on. Also saw a few additional boat Dock lights (75 W??) but someone was home at one of the houses. Decent location if you have plans to hit up nearby marshes after. The launch is super easy too.

4 - Churchill bayou launch, only 1 Dock lit and someone was home - this is probably a bad location.

5 - Treasure island - lot of options here, good cuts to houses. Saw multiple underwater greens, 6ish. Also saw one super bright dock into water with nobody home. A few other lit docks with 120V lights or less.
Add description
Add description
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Night lights analysis for the Freeport to San Luis pass area

Post by Dandydon »

Here's a big hearty thank you to Chubs for all that incredible down south scouting & reporting just one week before our nighttime tournament! People like him renew my faith in human beings who fish often at night.
I endorse his spot no. 3 (had a night limit there once) and have myself caught plenty of specks & redfish around those Treasure Island lights he described. Recently ONE surface light over there coughed up 6 legal specks in almost consecutive casts with a glow 5" Down South lure on a 1/8th oz. jighead. Next Saturday I hope to beat all of you there (!)

Chubs, Shoffer & I look forward to meeting you next Saturday & kindly ask if you'll help Charlie KickingBack & us check the teams' Fish Talley Sheets at the Sunday 8am Measurement & AWARDS Meeting? IF you ain't too busy? We might need help, especially if Shoffer drinks down a bunch of his normal nighttime tourney secret winning cocktail:
It's Monster Energy Lime mixed with Makers Mark & alpaca urine.
He's a lawyer so I ask no questions! Let's have a fun Tourney & pray for fair weather. Tight lines & bright fish lights.
--Dandydon
Fishing Attorneys LLP
IMG_6625.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

thanks Chubs. How many hundred mosquito bites??
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Hey Dandydon, I'd like to attend the tournament and help you guys out, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it unfortunately. I've literally got 2 family events back to back this coming Saturday and Sunday - not sure I can fit an all nighter inbetween :)

Plus I've still not been able to locate a fishing partner for the night but I'm still checking.

Yaklash - surprisingly I got more bites at home loading up my kayak the night before. I got 0 mosquito bites that morning :) I must just taste bad lol The wind was blowing 15 - 20 knots though all morning. I also doused myself with Cutter 40% deet so that probably helped.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice work Chubs!

Pay no mind to YakLash ;-) he's immune to mosquitos ;-)
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

What a great report Chubs! You've given me some new ideas for my next camping trip down there. I was there again for an over nighter this weekend and only caught 1 keeper trout on Sunday morning. My problem is once the sun starts going down I head for the beach side, build a fire and pop open a beer. Once that happens there aint no going night fishing for me! lol
And by the way, I have been down the last 3 weekends and haven't felt one mosquito. Guess they don't like my blood either these days.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good stuff Chubs! Many lights on at different times and days as well. For the overhead lights, remember that people usually have them on more often on weekends. :clap:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

So I spotted this mystery area I was unable to check out when I scouted a few weeks ago. Anyone know anything about this long pier in cold pass?
I've paddled past it in the day before and there are lights all over it.
Add description
Add description
Very long stretch in deep water, but it's a paddle to get over there and could be risky in the dark getting there. Maybe for advanced paddlers or good during full moon.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I fish that pier every time I go to SLP. The current can rip through the pass there when the tides are moving fast over a short period of time.
I usually launch at night and fish the lights near the SLP public launch and in the canals and then I head to the pier if someone is fishing and has the lights on. It is a private pier for certain people and they turn the lights on if someone is fishing the pier. Lots of lights and only a few people when they are on. The hard part is the current and anchoring in the soft sand there carried by the current. I had to drift and peddle hard to get back and drift some more. You can tie to the pier and let the current pull you away and cast back to the pier but you are limited to one light.
The entire area around the pier is alive when the lights are on. The shallows near the cove on the south side of pier hold flounder big time when the bait is present. Reds tail around that area in the daylight as well.
After I fish it I go to John Wayne Cut and go to the marsh area and fish through the night and have done well catching reds, flounder and trout back there. Then closer to morning I peddle around to Titlum Tatlum and work the piers there early morning for good flounder, trout and reds in the deeper water near the piers and in the marsh.

Here this route I took on one trip...
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I caught few schooling specks around that peer. Looks like it is privately owned, there is a big building on land it is attached to. Looks more like a community club than a dwelling, tbh. Current can be very strong over there.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

What, 0 calories burned!?!?!

lol, awesome info KB! I figured that had to be a good area, it's deep water + major pass + lights; how could it not be good.

I guess just look out from the SLP houses and see if it's worth the paddle (lights on or not).

Good info to know on the current. I suppose a drag anchor might work too? Like a length of heavy chain tied to a rope?

I forget, do you have lights on the sides of your kayak? I assume that is how you fish those other areas? Do you just flick them on then wait around for awhile?

I saw gates in front of any nearby entrances on the Google street view so pretty sure it's off limits to launch there unless you don't value your vehicle :)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: Yeah that the online version. The phone app tracks your actual path and counts the calories by time spent out as well as distance I think.
No where to launch near there. The closest is on the other side of the pass more south, the public launch and come west through Churchill Bayou to the pass.
I do have lights on my kayak and it does help me see back in the marsh. It definitely draws in the small bait fish when I anchor.
Usually I just sit with my lights on and throw a bottom fish finder rig with shrimp or Gulp away from my kayak about 20' out and sit at the "Y" just in from JW cut. I have caught reds, trout and flounder there with the bottom rig. The water is usually moving fast there with the tide as well and the fish sit in the turns and Y's and ambush the bait.
I don't drop my line below the yak because the predators will not come near usually.
With my lights on I also "spook" the bait fish if they are in the cut while I am traveling to the marsh there. If I have bait jumping at the lights on my kayak then I know there will be predators there as well. If no bait I usually don't stay long after an hour or so if not bites at my "good spots".
I'll sit in there in a few spots for about 30 minutes to an hour at each spot and move on so I can make it back through Tit/Tat by the morning bite. Reds get back in the marsh there and tail all the time.
I do have a drop light green LED with a 20' cord and I have thrown it out while in the marsh like that but I didn't find the fish congregating around the light like homes as the current is usually moving through there.
Make sure you check the tides and know when it changes and you can use it to get you to the pier and then when it goes back out you can come back to the launch. If not, launch from the other public ramp on the other side of the pass.
The tide is strongest where it is deepest so if you stay close to bank you can paddle against the current if needed.