1st lights trip

Chubs

1st lights trip

Post by Chubs »

For my next fishing trip, think I'm going to try lights at drum bay early 4 AM before I head to the marsh at sunrise.

Any particular advice before I go?

Going to use these based on the other thread, connected to my mainline with a swivel snap.
20180507_183715.jpg
Have a waterproof headlamp, good life jacket, and a 360 light to place on my kayak crate.

Based on time it's probably just a 1 - 2 hour excursion before I move to the marsh.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: 1st lights trip

Post by Dandydon »

Clubs,
Good start for your upcoming night fishing trip, but I'd recommend some strong mosquito repellant, too. On our last night trip, Shoffer & I got attacked by Marsh Mosquitos the size of sparrows. Repel brand (w/ DEET) works for us. Good luck!
IMG_6609.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Tight lines and don't forget to post a report after your trip.

JohnnyUtah
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the tip. I'd planned to take bug spray but I'll make sure it's the deep woods style with deet.

Ok so I'm losing confidence in my plan when I zoom into the area - seems like only a couple of the docks have lights based on my Google maps view - anyone ever been here and seen lights on those docks?
Add description
Add description
That's on the lower left side of Drum bay.

Any other tips of a good place to go close to Freeport would be appreciated - but I prefer this spot since it's close to where I want to go after the sun comes up, and I'd like to avoid relocating.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I haven't spent much time there at night, but when I read your post, I was wondering, "what lights are there in Drum Bay?" I would guess anyone with a pier out there has lights on them. Can't say as to how they'll react to you fishing in their light.

But lights don't need to be 500 watt mercury vapor to attract bait. The pier at the condo we had in Rockport had the big powerful lights at the end, and then regular 120 w incandescent lights about every 35 feet all the way out. I caught more good size trout out of the dim lights than the ones at the end of the pier.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Lol, maybe they will greet me with a shotgun in hand :X

I figuring I'm going to leave anyone fishing their own lights alone.

Good to know that 120W lights are also effective. I'll probably still head over there cause I'm excited by this idea, if there is no lights I guess I'll just catch some sleep in my truck before I launch heh
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Repel100 at Academy is the best stuff I have found so far for Mosquitos. It is 99% deet and way way better than deep woods off.
I fish almost exclusively Drum and Christmas bays. There are not very many lights there and a lot of those homes on the water are not occupied all the time except maybe summer and some on the weekends. I bet almost half of those homes there would not have any lights on. Most of the docks look pretty run down and neglected to me also. And from my experiences around there the folks are pretty darn nice as long as you are considerate and don't park in anyone's driveway or block that ramp.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I have never fished there at night, just saw what the docks looked like in the mornings. And I don't know of any lights around there except maybe off of that levy road on Oyster Creek. Have no idea how the folks there would react. And there are gators up around there also to keep in mind. lol
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Just looked on google earth and those homes I mentioned on Oyster Creek do not look like there would be a public boat ramp. And seriously, my son and I had to stop and wait for a 7' gator to cross the levy rd one time when we went down to go surfing one morning. lol
But I did see a potentially decent spot off the ICW. Just across the bridge to the left are some homes in an area called Oyster Creek cut. Might have some potential in the wee early morning while you wait for the sun to come up.
Attachments
Oyster Creek cut.jpg
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

So I'm only counting possible 5 docks with lights on them at that drum bay area.

So a quick question, if only 1 dock is lit - is it worth unloading my gear and checking out???

I'm suspecting this night trip is going to just be a scouting trip for next time :S Hope I'm wrong, but in any case I hope my morning marsh trip works out too heh
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Alright, so I went fishing this morning. Got there at 4 AM to hit the lights and found out there are no lights at that Drum Bay spot I mapped above!!!

So I made the most of the morning and scouted out all the potential spots from Freeport to San Luis Pass. I'm not sure if to post my synopsis or not - might spoil a nighttime tourney team's plans :P

I'll probably wait till after the tourney to give out the goods - but if you want to know before hand shoot me a PM and I'll tell you :)

I'm definitely going to hit one of the spots up my next outing though.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Chubs, please go ahead & spill the plans & info so we'll have more options out there for contestants in the Nighttime Tourney (unless you want it exclusively for your fishing team)!
Our rules allow fishing anywhere in Texas, including rivers, bays, canals, marsh, swamps, surf, bayous, & creeks. But I guess stocked private ponds are off limits. Hello.
We got the Tourney in a week. So be bold with some fishing info, some good advice or maybe even trash talk. I know some of you are decent anglers and expect to see some decent fish at our Measurement Meeting, 8am, Sunday May 20th. Let's catch a few for TKF bragging rights!
And snap some photos, please, for our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY scrapbook. See you next Saturday. I'm getting that New Moon fever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk