The NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: The NIGHTTIME TOURNEY©️™️

Post by Dandydon »

WTF! You little wienies are dropping out like dead flies. Was it something Shoffer said, or did you figure out you ain't nearly in control of your life? Sheesh. I though yak fishermen were real men (& women).
OK, then, we'll try to carry on without you. Thank God for Farside, MWatson71, Shoffer, & the two or three others who might compete.
Looks like winning is getting easier each passing day. Sorry to be disappointed. But you guys disappoint me. Have a good cry & get back to me before Saturday.
IMG_6695.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Double D - A question - I caught this nice 21" flounder "today". Can I save it for Sunday morning to turn in for the tournament? I think it would be a good bet to take the flounder trophy. I can darken the pic a bit to fit the nighttime theme! Did not see a rule that disallows this!
Attachments
P5170143.JPG
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Love your good humor, YakRunabout! Our NIGHTTIME TOURNEY Rules dictate you may cook & eat that huge flounder, but you cannot enter it in the tournament. All entered specks, redfish & flounder must be caught ONLY within our 8pm-7am window. That shouldn't bother any of you Night-Warrior stud muffins!
See you tomorrow night, Waterman's Restaurant, 7pm. Bring your best game, players.

Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Dandydon wrote:WTF! You little wienies are dropping out like dead flies. Was it something Shoffer said, or did you figure out you ain't nearly in control of your life? Sheesh. I though yak fishermen were real men (& women).
OK, then, we'll try to carry on without you. Thank God for Farside, MWatson71, Shoffer, & the two or three others who might compete.
Looks like winning is getting easier each passing day. Sorry to be disappointed. But you guys disappoint me. Have a good cry & get back to me before Saturday.
IMG_6695.JPG

Guys! DD has clearly dipped into his secret winning formula of Maker's Mark and questionable Yak liquid extracts to cure his disappointment! He might not have a chance to replenish them prior to the tournament! A win is assured!

In all seriousness, I regret I cannot make the tournament. I'm not afraid of the wind, more the combo of the family events + this being my 1st night trip ever + a pissed off wife would drive me over the edge! I will piss in the wind, but not piss on the wife - that usually results in bad repercussions :X

If yall are up to it some time, I think it would be awesome to get medium sized group together and go fish Tiki Island + the causeway or something - that seems like it could be a great place for folks to spread out yet still stay slightly close to each other to help out us newbies.

I'll be rooting for all of yall for the tourney - may you all catch a bull red!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Chubs, no hard feelings! We know you married guys have stuff to do that often arrives late. If I ever get married, I'll probably turn into a hen-pecked girly man, too! Ha ha. I love to talk bad because I can beat up people!
We'll consider your get-together idea, & hope to meet you soon. Later...

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I will be late (maybe really late) but will be there. I may have to stop at the Ocean Cabaret on the way down for my fishing partner though.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Here is the what the Fish Tally Sheet will look like at the weigh in. I updated to account for best 5 fish overall, since I mistakenly assumed that it was the team's 10 best specks, as opposed to 5. I will have copies at the "measure in"
Capture.JPG
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

kickingback wrote::lol:
Bad news for me. I will not be able to fish the night of the tourney. I will be at Waterman's for the sign up and be back for weigh in in the morning to help if needed.
Got a bum trailer so no way to get the yak on the water for a week. Got priorities to take care of now! :lol:
I have room on my trailer for an extra yak if you want us to pick you up, assuming you are not crazy far away.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: I am in NW Houston. TOO FAR for a pick up... :lol:
That's OK Shoff, I appreciate it!
My bearings went out while I was at Corpus and had to do an emergency repair on the beach with used bearings. I just ordered them and they will be here early next week.
I have to drop my son off at work at 4:30 and I was going to drive to Waterman's to meet you with the prizes I have and help with any registration issues.
It's OK. Like I said, I probably wasn't going to enter the tourney anyway. Just wanted to help.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You're "Good People," Charlie KickingBack, & I'm sorry I called you a dang wienie. You've been our earliest & biggest Nighttime Tourney️ supporter. We welcome all the help you can give us, & hope you'll be able to compete at our next patented fun-house fishing tournament.
Looking forward to meeting all you "Men of the Night," tomorrow night! As for Dimitri Cabaret "partners," please "BRING IT ON!" No female anglers have come forward to enter. And sadly, my 93-year-old mother in Sam Antonio couldn't compete due to a bad cold... She's a real looker for her age & could probably outfish me.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

To all participants - just some additional points and thoughts as we get ready for this tournament.

1. By participating in the tournament, each participant agrees to hold the tournament,and its hosts (including me and DandyDon) harmless from any harm, liability, damage or injury a participant may incur during, or incident to, the participant's participation or affiliation with the tournament.

2. Each team member will need to sign an entry form that contains roughly the same waiver and release set forth above. It looks like this:
Capture.JPG
3. Each participant must wear their PFD during the tournament, follow all laws (including the fish rules promulgated by the State of Texas) and use a 360 degree light on their craft, as required by law.

4. All that being said, have some fun and don't take things so seriously. This is basically some folks going on an outing together with a friendly wager. It is nothing more than that.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:roll: lawyers... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Given the winds predicted tomorrow night (15-25, really) I expect this little gathering to be a howling good time. I may have to rethink my launch spot.

All kidding aside, wear your PFDs tomorrow night folks. And that’s not just lawyer talk. Let’s all be safe and have fun.

See you all at the measuring point at 7a. You’ll recognize me because I will be the guy with the five 25+” trout and the red T160.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Dear friend MWatson71:
I'm pretty sure the State of Texas game laws DON'T ALLOW keeping more than ONE speckled trout over 25 inches during any 24-hour period.
So bring back ONLY ONE speck that big, along w/ 4 other smaller ones. Your team's five legal redfish can all be 28 inches, but over 20". I think flounder gotta be 15 inches & up. Is that clear?
Do what my teammate Shoffer says & you'll be legal & safe. If any questions, PM Shoffer. Just leave me alone because it's time for me to deeply meditate, medicate, master-bait, lubricate and un-mutilate my mind for tomorrow night's NIGHTTIME TOURNEY️.
See you there. Good luck, men.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you really want to get "technical", I normally fish at night on freshwater lakes and talked to a game warden on how I am to interpret my "limit". He explained that the "day" is 24 hours from midnight to midnight. If you are out fishing before midnight, any fish you catch are your limit for that day. At midnight while you are on the water you can separate your daily limit with separate coolers or a divider and put ice on them and store your next days limit in separate or on top of the ice and towel showing you separated them for game warden to see. He explained this to me and I repeated it to make sure.
Daily limits are from midnight to midnight. You don't have that much room on your yak but you could haul your catch to the car and go back out!!!

Double limits for everyone!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ahhhhh....thank you very much for the reminder. Seeing as how I am a CPR of any over 25 it has never been an issue. My post was really just meant to add to the trash talk.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

And the flounder minimum is 14”. I thought it was 15” too until after my last trip when I released one just shy of 15” and my buddy asked why and showed me it was 14”.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the clarifications, men. But I must point out you sound like damn lawyers. I go fishing to flee from those legal money-grabbers.
Shoffer & I are kayak fishermen who practice law on the side (so we can afford Hobie yaks, great electronics & paddles, loads of Whattaburgers w/ cheese, & hundreds of lures yet untried)...
Yes, we crazy.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Farside

Post by Farside »

I am hammered right now, and looking at a good 12 hours sleep. I got my pennies rolled for the entry fee!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I hope all the contestants stay sober & alert for the Tourney. Shoffer made me promise to lay off my beloved Makers Mark if he'd cut back on his Monster Energy drink infused with alpaca urine. At the tournament meeting tonight we'll be checking to make sure nobody's too messed up to compete. Remember, "Nobody messes with the HOFF!"
But gotta confess it's hard to concentrate on fishing w/ this British Royal Wedding happening right now! Will the beautiful bride Meaghan wear white or go w/ an outdoors "camo pattern" we yakkers can dig?! Stay tuned. If I'm a bit late tonight it's because of the big wedding.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

In addition to cheesy trophies, good times, and a little cash for the winners, there will be a multitude of lures and tackle to be provided to the winners. Sharpen those hooks and those eyes, contestants, because IT IS ON!!!!!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

This is some stuff from the Outdoor Annual:

Daily Bag:
Quantity of a species of a wildlife resource, such as fish, that may be taken in one day.

Day:
A 24-hour period of time that begins at midnight and ends at midnight.

Possession Limit:
The maximum number of fish a person may possess before returning to their residence. Possession limit is twice the daily bag on game and nongame fish, except as provided in this guide, and does not apply to fish in the possession of or stored by a person at their residence.

I have talked with a game warden on this matter and I posted the ruling up first before commenting on this. I have done an enormous amount of looking into this because many people, including game wardens, get this situation confused. Charlie, as per our last conversation I told you that this one situation doesn't exist anymore but I found the ruling I told you about which leads me to what I will be telling everyone about.

The tip here is to look at the possession limit. That is key to this situation. I have spoken to several game wardens on this. I've been told that you can catch (let's just use red fish for conversation purposes) three reds before midnight, bring them back to your car, and go out after midnight and catch three more that this would be okay. According to the rule this is the case but after talking to someone in TP&W awhile back I was told that because of the word "residence" that you need to return to where you reside and then you can go back out and catch those three additional reds after midnight.

I called again today and spoke to a game warden I usually call for answers on things and he agreed on this situation but other game wardens aren't up to speed on all rules (but who can be as there are so many rules to keep tabs on). My best advice to you guys on this entire situation is what I have always gone by to ensure that I don't do anything illegal which is to only go out and catch one bag limit of each red/trout/flounder if you are lucky enough to be in that situation and don't get greedy. Greed has a way of coming back on ya. Be safe out there tonight, enjoy your time, stick to the rules, and I will see you guys out on the water or at the measure-in in the morning. Tight lines!! :)

PS: mwatson71 is correct. The minimum length on a flounder is 14".

Flounder

All species, their hybrids and subspecies

Daily Bag: 5/2 (see below)
Length in Inches (Minimum - Maximum) 14 - No limit

Daily bag is 5 fish except from Nov. 1-30, when the daily bag limit is 2 fish and flounder may be taken only by pole-and-line; and from December 1-14, when the daily bag limit is 2 fish and flounder may be taken by any legal means, including gigging. Possession limit is equal to the daily bag.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great post regarding our fish bag limits, YaketyYak! I agree it's "safer" to abide by one bag limit per trip, regardless of the "midnight to midnight" rule.
Our NIGHTTIME TOURNEYImageImage️ doesn't push for big quantity numbers because we're counting only the FIVE best specks & redfish from each two-person team. That means you have to decide whether to "keep or cull" your caught fish. That's part of each team's strategy.
Every team must record their entered fish on Shoffer's Fish Talley Sheets to be handed out tonight at the 7pm meeting. We'll try to answer any & all other questions at that time.
Let's observe all rules & laws so our Tourney remains fun & hassle-free. See you tonight in the Waterman's Restaurant parking lot. Good luck to all.
IMG_2381.JPG

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

My kayak is loaded, all lights checked, lure selections made. Double secret launch spot confirmed. PFD, rods, paddles. Check. Net and stringer. Check. $20 entry fee. Check. Partner. Still in need. I figure worse case I show up at measure-in and donate my $20 to the pot and meet a few of you guys who manage to make it through the night.

Dandydon and Shoffer, Thanks for organizing.