Kayak Fishing Baffin Bay

ben_beyer

Kayak Fishing Baffin Bay

Post by ben_beyer »

I've done some searches looking for information on Baffin Bay and some of the threads will make someone heed a bit of caution going out there.

Is this just due to the structure of the bay and the high winds down there or what is it about Baffin Bay that makes it seem a bit more dangerous than other places?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Kayak Fishing Baffin Bay

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Layout of the bay and access points make it most difficult for a kayaker. Add to that the high winds of the area and it can make it tough.

That said there are areas a kayak can reach and have a shot at a 28-30 inch class trout and lots of reds. I've caught these the last 2 years in areas very easily reached by kayak. There also used to be a guy on here by the screenname acoustic tennis. Granted he had access to the King Ranch shoreline.

There is a band of seagrass along the north shoreline of Laguna Salada, and also along much of the western edge of Calle Del Grullo. There are launches off of 1543 (Williams Landing $2), Hubert Kaufman county park, and at the pier at Riviera Beach on 2360, and one other access point called Area 51... in the very back of Laguna Salada off of 1120 S. There is a band of rocks just east of the pier at Riviera beach that is mixed grass and rocks. Fish early with a bone one knocker and then after 9am start grinding the deep edge of the rocks with a little john, fish the shallow edge of the grass with a bait that I developed called the grasswalker.. it's getting hot. I made it for when the grass starts floating up really bad and its hard to fish anything that is not weedless. Also very good under the lights although I didn't' design it for that. All of the fish below were caught within kayak range of those launch points. SO it's doable. You might pic your days for wind and also get out of the yak and wade more when it's windier. Just park it on the shoreline and start wading the grass.
Attachments
TroutBaffin 24.jpg
TroutBaffin 24.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
Speckled Trout on Walk the Dog Weedless Lures TroutSupport Baffin Bay 2.jpg
Speckled Trout on Walk the Dog Weedless Lures TroutSupport Baffin Bay.jpg
Gator Sea Trout on Walk the Dog Weedless Lures TroutSupport Baffin Bay 28.jpg
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Cool, thanks for the information!

I spend a good bit of time working on studying maps (Hook-N-Line), looking a satellite images, checking the Kayaking and Wade Fishing Book, planning, coming up with plans in case something bad happens.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome information Tobin! Those are some nice specks! I will have to make a special trip over there soon and throw some TSL Grass Walkers! You are "da man"!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I might add a note to Tobin's excellent reply above about beaching your kayak or walking on land in that area. Some don't realize it, but walking above the tide line on private property is trespassing. And trespassing down that way mostly means you're trespassing on the King or Kennedy ranch. I've heard that can be a dangerous venture, though I think some of that may be exaggeration.
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

Acoustic....tennis....???

Baffin is just rough. If there is wind it will be ROUGH. The king ranch thing is legit. They have hunters out there very often and they are really cautious about someone catching a bullet on accident. I remember a the PACK group (Maybe?) going across and setting up shop before getting told to leave by security.

You can catch good fish you're just going to have to accept that the paddle to and from spots will be a tough one. Google maps is your friend.