Mugged by a Redfish

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Mugged by a Redfish

Post by Drifting Yak »

Ever hang into a bull red, reel it to your kayak (with very little resistance) and then have it come alive? Ever have one of those brutes then dart under your yak slamming your rod tip against your mirage drive? Well it is amazing how far your rod and reel combo will fly when that happens! :shock:

That happened to me late in the evening on April 3rd in Bayou Vista - just inside the train trestle. So if you happen to find a Cajun Custom Rod being pulled around by a nice red please look me up. I'll cough up a few bucks for your trouble.

Signed,
Mugged (& humbled) by a Redfish
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Mugged by a Redfish

Post by kickingback »

Damn! Sorry to hear.
Usually the rod would brake first! I'll keep an eye out. I still need to drag the bottom around Tiki for another TKF'er and if I get over to the train bridge in Bayou Vista I will throw my magnet there and look around for you. I'll let you know if I find anything.
What kind of reel was it?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah, that definitely sucks. That's a good fall area, so it might be a while.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Ouch!! They are tricky like that.

I have had an anchor out and they seem to know just where the anchor line is!

I had one run hard away from me, taking line – then I lost it, or so I thought until I saw the line coming back toward me. I reeled like crazy to catch up to it, saw it pass under my kayak, but in this case I managed to get the rod tip around the nose of the kayak. Ultimately getting the gal into the boat.

They are tricky!! Must learn that when they are in school!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

It was a Lew’s reel. And most rods would have snapped but these new Cajun rods will bend a mile!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That’s a favorite redfish trick, the ol dive under the kayak trick. You’re not supposed to let go of the rod and reel, though. :lol:

I like to be fishing my fiberglass rods when it happens. They really can bend, those glass rods.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

What's really cool is that I reached out to Jaesen Yerger with Cajun Custom Rods, explained what happened and they sent me a replacement rod! Cost me a nominal fee - but well worth it - and got the new rod yesterday! Can you believe that! Wow!
THESE GUYS HAVE PHENOMENAL CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

ouch! sorry to hear that. i had a big red snap my rod like butter faking me out. i had my drag set a little too tight bc it was wearing down my spool of braid. then sorta gave up until it got back to the yak. just when i thought it was done it made a bee-line underneath the yak and there went that rod... salt to the wound was it a quick scouting trip for duck hunting, and i only had the one rod... i got to keep the reel at least.
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

Ouch! Had one dart on me the same way, but exploded my rod. Least i didn't lose my reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

got the new rod yesterday! Can you believe that! Wow!
THESE GUYS HAVE PHENOMENAL CUSTOMER SERVICE!
I visited the Cajun Rod booth at the fishing show in Houston. Seemed like great rods - I looked at a ML, short handled split grip rod as a new casting plastics rod. I didn't pull the trigger on a purchase but it sounds like you are giving good testimony for them.
I'm not meaning to change the subject; just sharing a thought after reading the post and comments.
jag361

Post by jag361 »

I have a Cajun rod I bought 2 years ago from the show. Me and some buddies were talking with Jason and asked what his replacement policy was if a fish broke a rod and he said he would replace it free if he examined it. Well couple months go by and have a "bull" of a bull red break it. First rod I broke in can't remember how long. I am very careful with my rods they ride in the cab of truck and get cleaned and put back in rack once home. Anyways called and he said he didn't say that and I payed for the replacement. To bad good rods but I will never buy another.
Sorry about your lost rod and didn't mean to hijack your thread but a man's word means something to me and that really chapped my butt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cruisin_Cuda wrote:ouch! sorry to hear that. i had a big red snap my rod like butter faking me out. i had my drag set a little too tight bc it was wearing down my spool of braid. then sorta gave up until it got back to the yak. just when i thought it was done it made a bee-line underneath the yak and there went that rod... salt to the wound was it a quick scouting trip for duck hunting, and i only had the one rod... i got to keep the reel at least.
Hate to hear that Mr. Cruisin_Cuda - but sadly - I can tell you that I know exactly how you feel. As mentioned earlier I lost a very nice rod & reel combo. That was on a Tuesday. Well I also went out two days later and guess what??? I snapped another rod! Happened the exact same way as you described - and what's worse is that this other rod was my favorite go to (a Lew's bait casting rod which has battled and landed many a red - but not on this day). So overall it was a very sad and expensive week for me.

And here's the salt in my wound. I was fishing with Ken (aka YakRunabout). He could tell that I was pissed (thru several bursts of expletives) as I explained what had just happened. And in a sympathetic, carrying way he stated "Oh no...Not again....(slight hesitation)....Well don't ask to borrow any or my rods! Ha! Ha!" Needless to say but this didn't make me feel any better! :horse: :horse: :horse:
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

jag361 wrote:I have a Cajun rod I bought 2 years ago from the show. Me and some buddies were talking with Jason and asked what his replacement policy was if a fish broke a rod and he said he would replace it free if he examined it. Well couple months go by and have a "bull" of a bull red break it. First rod I broke in can't remember how long. I am very careful with my rods they ride in the cab of truck and get cleaned and put back in rack once home. Anyways called and he said he didn't say that and I payed for the replacement. To bad good rods but I will never buy another.
Sorry about your lost rod and didn't mean to hijack your thread but a man's word means something to me and that really chapped my butt.
No problem with hijacking the thread Mr. jag361. It's always beneficial for everyone to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. And for sure don't blame you for being chapped!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I remember that outburst on the water! Went on for some time - he was a ways off and I could not see him, but I knew where he was! I thought it was one of those "Mike, have a snickers" moments, which hits him from time to time if he is too dehydrated or hungry. But this, instead, was the pain of a broken rod - 2nd lost that week!

I will admit to being a bit stingy on a loaner after that, but he still had a couple to use!

One thing I told him is that it just reinforced my use of tethers on all my rod/reels. I got in the habit of tethering equipment when going offshore, but have carried that on to the bays/marshes as well. The main reason is that I have now seen 5 rod/reels lost from kayaks, all inshore! Tethers can be a bit bothersome, but I have gotten used to them. I did knock one rod over the side and had a camera drop out of my vest into the water, but both were tethered and so recovered.
chad73

Post by chad73 »

sorry to hear that!