Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trails

krfish

Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trails

Post by krfish »

I typically fish a lot of marsh, and every time I pass LHL I always want to go take my wife to just paddle. She's kayaked with me on the Guadalupe before but never on the bay. Any advice for two newbies paddling Light House Lakes? Not worried about fishing just a little sight seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
broncofan_27

Re: RE: Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trails

Post by broncofan_27 »

krfish wrote:I typically fish a lot of marsh, and every time I pass LHL I always want to go take my wife to just paddle. She's kayaked with me on the Guadalupe before but never on the bay. Any advice for two newbies paddling Light House Lakes? Not worried about fishing just a little sight seeing.

Make sure it's not a super low tide, lots of oysters. Take plenty of water in case you get turned around in there. There used to be markers and a map of the trails, not sure if harvey messed up the markers. You can always use the lighthouse and some of the buildings as landmarks. I always know if I can see the lighthouse and the big white wedding venue mansion then I'm alright. Careful crossing that channel it gets pretty busy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
krfish

Re: Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trails

Post by krfish »

broncofan_27 wrote:
krfish wrote:I typically fish a lot of marsh, and every time I pass LHL I always want to go take my wife to just paddle. She's kayaked with me on the Guadalupe before but never on the bay. Any advice for two newbies paddling Light House Lakes? Not worried about fishing just a little sight seeing.

Make sure it's not a super low tide, lots of oysters. Take plenty of water in case you get turned around in there. There used to be markers and a map of the trails, not sure if harvey messed up the markers. You can always use the lighthouse and some of the buildings as landmarks. I always know if I can see the lighthouse and the big white wedding venue mansion then I'm alright. Careful crossing that channel it gets pretty busy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I know which wedding venue your talking about so I will keep that in mind.

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

You can always use your phone and google earth or google maps satellite view to get yourself out if you get turned around. Just watch your battery level. Go into it, see where you are, then close the ap. Leaving any gps ap on draws the batteries down quick. But since you're a frequent marsh goer this tip is more for everyone else than it is you; you're probably old hat at that.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Best newbie paddling spot in the Coastal Bend: Aransas Pass Aquatic Center launch, by the big water slide. Protected 360 degrees from the wind, and no waves.
Dean at Slowride used to sell a two-sided, waterproof map of Lighthouse Lake & Brown & Root Flats. Aransas Pass Chamber of Commerce has the same map, not waterproof, but free. A lot of the marker posts went down in Harvey. Good news: The water levels have come way up.
Be careful. Wear you PFD's. Have fun. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you can get the GPS waypoints for all the old markers and navigate using your phone GPS.
I have the chart with the waypoints, but I've always used my Steiner binocs, chart compass and deck compass.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i bought a solar powered battery pack from amazon for 15$ might get a couple of those too just in case
krfish

Post by krfish »

Thank you all for your advice. My Wife and I made the trip to AP yesterday, and we couldn't have asked for a better day. Winds were light and temps were mild. I typically fish the marshes of Calhoun County, so I was amazed at the water clarity. Even spooked a couple of reds. We're already planning our Image next trip and hope to make it all the way to the light house.