What Hobie? And some advice on rockport area.

c-los

What Hobie? And some advice on rockport area.

Post by c-los »

So lately I’ve been looking at some Hobie kayaks. I’ve always like the outback since it’s stable enough to stand In. I test drove one last year and I really liked it. But recently I’ve seen the compass and wanted to see what was anyone’s thoughts on it.. will the compass leave me wanting more or will i be content with it? If I’m not fishing out my 21ft Carolina skiff I fish out of a heritage redfish 14 that I can stand in somewhat but kinda difficult to fish from while standing. I pack really light even when I am on my boat. The most I ever take with me is two rods and A couple of tackle boxes in a crate.. This year I’m planning on doing more kayak fishing around Estes and really want to explore that area. Any thoughts or experiences with both kayaks please feel free to chime in.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What Hobie? And some advice on rockport area.

Post by kickingback »

Kayak Demo Days in Missouri City this weekend! Try the compass and others!
https://www.austinkayak.com/Demo
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Also, Roy's Tackle Demo Day April 28th, weather permitting, on the SPID Causeway Beach Access, in Corpus. They may not carry Hobie, but Fin Factory down the road does. TexasJim
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Estes will turn on around mid June ish. might be a few stragglers there right now. There are other areas to fish though, estes can get hit pretty hard. Also, a lot of reds will start getting into the marsh

demo the yaks if you can.
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

Definitely demo the Hobies you are thinking of buying. And when demo'ing them, paddle them with a paddle as well because even though that is not the main way you will use them. It is something to think about. Drives can break or it can just be too shallow to use the drive inshore in some spots. The Outback is a nightmare to paddle without the rudder in the down position and it is hard to paddle and use the rudder at the same time. I don't know if the Compass is better in that regard but it is worth considering.
TexAgg10

Post by TexAgg10 »

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I went with the Pro Angler 14. I fish Galveston bay (all over), and I don't worry about the depth. Mid-bay, the stability and storage is fantastic. If the water is too shallow to peddle, then I'm standing (completely stable) and using my push pole instead of paddling. At that point, what difference does it make which hobie you have, since all of the Hobies have the same depth requirement for peddling? I never end up just paddling, except when i want to push off backwards in shallow water to deeper water and I don't feel like standing up to use my push pole. Just my $.02
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Bought my first Hobie, an Outback in 2004. Seller wanted something that would be better suited for the flats.
The Outback hull was a little different back then. Drew more water.
Since then I have been in a 13 Revo and my current yak, Revo 11 offshore and flats, 16' Adventure that was used more like a kayak, and my wife's 9.5 Sport.
If I had to do it all over again it would be the Revo 16 due to its speed, ease of paddling and tracking, and its ability to get more shallow.
But, where I do most of my fishing is scraping the bottom, very shallow.
Look at where and how you fish and go backwards from there. Spend your money on what you want, its cheaper than a compromise getting that bargain only to resell at a loss and buying what you wanted in the first place.
I have never been in the Compass but I hear it gets good shallow water reviews.
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

TexAgg10 wrote:I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I went with the Pro Angler 14. I fish Galveston bay (all over), and I don't worry about the depth. Mid-bay, the stability and storage is fantastic. If the water is too shallow to peddle, then I'm standing (completely stable) and using my push pole instead of paddling. At that point, what difference does it make which hobie you have, since all of the Hobies have the same depth requirement for peddling? I never end up just paddling, except when i want to push off backwards in shallow water to deeper water and I don't feel like standing up to use my push pole. Just my $.02
I apologize for straying off the original topic, but I've been on the fence for longer than I can remember on picking up a PA14 for exactly the kind of use you described. I mostly fish shallow marsh and consistently end up paddling at least 4-7 miles each trip, with most of the travel just getting to the marsh. I always think how nice it would be to peddle all those miles and then pole my way through the marsh once I get there. Now that I've read your reply I would say I'm almost falling off the fence onto the PA side. Curious on other thoughts you have on your boat and how you use it...likes, dislikes, and such?
kjack87

Post by kjack87 »

IMO it will depend on many aspects, the compass and outback are great options if you want to stand.

I chose the Revo 11 because I wanted something light, fast, and easy to transport.

If I want to go fish real quick I toss it on the car and go. I never worry about where I launch, I toss it on my shoulder and launch wherever I can walk on foot. If I need to drag it across land 100 yards loaded, again, not a problem.

I like simplicity, some others may like the luxuries of the pro anglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

if distance is your goal, my buddy bought the Revo 16, and it's a rocketship. Can be made to stand with Hobie outriggers.

advice - I like fishing Estes, from Palm Harbor, behind Talley I to Traylor I (Trout Bayou), the sloughs on Traylor I., the cuts to Outside Beach.
Brown & Root flat is also a good choice, but a longer paddle.
Lighthouse Lakes is a great paddle, and the passes to the big channels are killer on a falling tide.

Out of Fultor Harbor, used to run a day shuttle to Fence Lake across Aransas Bay - worth looking into, because that's the best possible use of a kayak from Rockport.

Slow Ride in AP guides kayak fishing in South Bay, as does Billy Trimble.

There are some good access points into Copano Bay - especially if you have 4WD, the road along the north side of the bay.
Goose I. .SP to fish Charles
Cavasso Ck. .is another good launch - watch for gators, any they find at Goose I SP they haul to Cavasso to release.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

I have one and love it! The Compass is fast and light and glides really well - a cross between a PA and a Revo.

Here's a previous TKF post. It's a little long but may have some good info for ya.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=245600

Also, the Hobie website has a section dedicated to the Compass. Here's a link to one that I posted up back in December.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 0fc924144a

Hope this helps!
c-los

Post by c-los »

Well i finally did it pulled the trigger on the Hobie. Found a used outback Camo edition on Craigslist.. I haven’t been able to use it but I did test both the compass and the outback.. I liked them both so i am more than likely going to get a compass for my wife. I just felt more comfortable in the outback..looking forward in using the outback near rockport area.. I just need to get better at using lures now.. lol
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Congrats!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great boats
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats! You will love them!
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

Congrats! Outback is an awesome yak!