Pensacola April 25 - 28

Boxermaniac98

Pensacola April 25 - 28

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

My son and I are going to Florida to do some kayak fishing. We will be statying at Fort Pickens camp grounds and will be kayak fishing. Our goal is to land some BTB fish that we can not get out of Galveston. Can anyone give us some good advise on fishing in that area, this time of year.
flydoc

Re: Pensacola April 25 - 28

Post by flydoc »

3 mile bridge at nite for bull reds. Site cast the lites as they cruise thru.. I would go with 8-10 wt flyrod with big streamers or big bucktails on spin gear. 35-40" reds are common.
Ciguatera

Re: Pensacola April 25 - 28

Post by Ciguatera »

I've had a little luck in that area (Destin) trolling cigar minnows outside the third bar. You can catch kings, smacks, and bonitas with the chance of landing something more exotic such as a sail and even mahi or BFT. I used frozen cigar minnows and trolled them on a wire leader with a kingfish skirt. The water can be so clear that many people use a long fluoro leader and some even use heavy fluoro for kings instead of wire. Take a few sabikis as you can often catch live cigar minnows right at daybreak around the bars and if you throw a spoon, you should be able to pick up a few hardtails. If you're more interested in reef fish, there are a number of artificial reefs placed nearshore. I found this website helpful to give me a lowdown of the area: http://www.fishingdestinguide.com/ Good luck.