Revisiting the Palacios Area this weekend

tat2yak

Revisiting the Palacios Area this weekend

Post by tat2yak »

It's been awhile for me but I'm going to be visiting in-laws in Palacios (so I'm looking to fish!) Saturday (14 April) looks best for me but I want to plan ahead. I need a place to rent a paddleboard preferably but I am fully versed kayak fishing.

If I can't rent I'll be making the long drive from New Orleans with a board of the rooftop, just gotta decide which one.

If anyone is fishing Palacios, Turtle Bay, or Keller Bay..... or anywhere in that general area, I would love to tag along. If not, then I'll go solo in one of those two bays.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Revisiting the Palacios Area this weekend

Post by TroutSupport.com »

watch out for the wind this weekend. Hard north again Saturday.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

There's some board members that live in the area that have PM'ed me in the past - hopefully one of them will get back to you. I won't be able to go fishing this weekend (going to give Turkey Hunting a try at my dad's ranch!).

Give Pelican Slough a try if the wind is North/ North East - that really worked for me a week ago. And it's well protected from the wind as well if it's high. Launch from Collegeport if it's high vs paddling across the bay from Palacios, and you might need to go in a ways though to find them.

I don't know much about paddle boards but I'd think the wind (if high) would likely be a problem. If it's high I'd suggest a kayak. Also, falling off of a paddle board into the marsh doesn't sound like fun either with all the oyster shells around.

Anyway and most importantly, have fun!
EPerez

Post by EPerez »

I've never fished Keller on a north wind so i'm not sure how that would do but due to its shape it almost has a protected shoreline for any wind. If it gets blown out that is more of the problem...

I fish Turtle a lot and it can be great even with a pretty hard north wind as long as its not blown out. So if you drive up to the launch at Jensen point and there is water up to the rocks there probably is enough water to find fish. I'll let you use google maps to find the good spots to kayak fish. They are fairly obvious.

For kayak rentals i'm not sure... I know I've seen some signs up around and I'm pretty sure Grassy Point Bait rents them out. (If its too windy they may not rent them to you though)
EPerez

Post by EPerez »

Might want to start EARLY if you are going to fish on Saturday... :shock:
WindOnSaturday.JPG
WindOnSaturday.JPG (43.32 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote:I don't know much about paddle boards but I'd think the wind (if high) would likely be a problem. If it's high I'd suggest a kayak. Also, falling off of a paddle board into the marsh doesn't sound like fun either with all the oyster shells around.
I've observed rise of paddle-board-related topic on some Texas forums. Looks like someone is investing into promoting this stuff. Which is kind of hilarious considering how useless they are (in general) over here. There are only few places where they would make sense logistically -- number of access spots go down every year and your average paddle distance gets longer. Plus there are only a handful of days (probably zero from Feb to July) when wind is below 10mph on the coast, especially as you go further south.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I'd neither cancel, nor alter my plans based on a forecast 5-6 days ahead of time...if I were to do so, I'd be cancelling my trip to Big Lake....but I am not.
tat2yak

Post by tat2yak »

If it's too windy, then I'll fish from the piers and/or the bank.

Hell, I'm getting there Thursday night so I'm fishing Friday as well.

:horse: I hear it could be windy - Fly-fishing may not be an option for me. :mrgreen: