Surf fishing PINS

Redslayer2

Surf fishing PINS

Post by Redslayer2 »

Hey, we are taking a fishing trip to PINS for a couple days in july. It will be with a scout troop and we are all new to fishing. We will be taking a kayak trip, but we are also camping on the beach. We were wondering if you could provide some surf fishing tips for north padre island. For example, what could you use to catch a lot of whiting? What tips do you have for trout fishing the surf? Thank you.
BC1

Re: Surf fishing PINS

Post by BC1 »

Isn’t this essentially an extension of your Corpus fishing post that you never followed up on?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Whiting will eat almost any dead bait. Shrimp, small pieces of fish. Either on the bottom or under a popping cork.

Specks will take live baits, but you're better off not trying to keep shrimp alive. Spoons work great in the surf, are very long casting baits, are tough and can catch fish without getting torn up. Other baits that might fit your profile would be a Gulp! Shrimp under a popping cork. I also use topwaters, Mirrodines and soft plastics.
tecate

Post by tecate »

Make a suction tube[you'll probley want several for the guys] to catch ghost shrimp on the beach. Use the ghost shrimp to catch the whiting. Not sure which was more fun catching the ghost shrimp or the whiting.
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

I've spent my entire life fishing in shore.

Last summer did some surf fishing on SPI and caught a ton of whiting throwing sabiki rigs with fish bites and it was fun.

Caught a hammer speck on a gulp free lined.

Looking to try some more this year, i enjoyed it.

Do you guys target specks the same as in the bay? I usually throw DSL or Chicken boys on jig heads. Will resort to gulp and popper if I'm desperate. Will this work the same on the surf?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

I second Yak-Lash. I would also add that fishbites and small cut pieces of gulp are effective in catching whiting and other bait fish (small hooks/pieces for small mouths). You can then use the bait fish to caught larger species, either cut or live. I'd also bring a cast net to catch mullet for bait. Spoons are my favorite for lures, but for bait I favor a drop shot rig with a pyramid or spider weight. I'd check out some YouTube channels for additional tips, especially Beach Bomber.
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Boomy (another TKF member) is very experienced in this area and I hope he chimes in. He also has some good Youtube videos to check out.
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Redslayer2

Post by Redslayer2 »

Thank you so much for the tips! Ill try to send a report of the trip.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

If you want a lot of knowledge, check out Nick Meyer's youtube channel. He owns Breakaway Tackle in Corpus Christi and is a great resource. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD7g-R ... zUtaF9bWbw

Corpusfishing.com has tons of information as well.

But the short answer for fishing with kids: get a double-drop rig with about a 2 to 4 ounce sinker on it, put a fishbite strip on each hook, and then tip each hook with half of a shrimp and cast it out into the first or second gut. You can almost always catch a bunch of whiting and probably some nice reds too.

And though you can use them on other beaches, ghost shrimp pumps are illegal on Padre Island National Seashore.

Good luck out there!

Reef Donkey

Post by Reef Donkey »

All solid information above! I also recommend a wire drop rig with a circle and surf weight. Put some cut Whiting on it and put it in the first or second gut. Never know what will hit it! Thats why I love hitting Padre.
Redslayer2

Post by Redslayer2 »

Is it possible to get ghost shrimp without a pump, like with your hands or a shovel?
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

It is possible to dig them up with a shovel, but that's a lot like work. However, digging for bait is also prohibited on the national seashore.

Got to save some shrimp for the birds. There is a reason you will see a lot more long-billed curlew on PINS than on other beaches.