Setting the hook with a casting rod

nref55

Setting the hook with a casting rod

Post by nref55 »

Hi guys I’ve been an avid saltwater fisherman for a while, normally use a Stradic on a 7’4” medium light rod (loomis-progreen), well I’ve ventured into baitcasters and currently using a 50e platform on a medium light Waterloo hp lite, I went 0/4 on reds the last two trips with the baitcaster, the hook popped out on every red... I’m 3/3 on the same trips with my spinning combo. I’m dumbfounded.... do I need a stiffer action rod for the reds? Do i set my drag dead lock? I can’t figure it out....
nref55

Re: Setting the hook with a casting rod

Post by nref55 »

I’m using the same 1/8 jighead and gulp. Is it the IPT difference?
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Are you using braid? Would bet that your drag was actually too tight. Don't ask me how I know! :shock:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Depends on what baits your are using, line type, and to how you are setting the hook.

For monofilament with either spinner or casting, on long cast you are going to have to real up slack without the fish noticing (stealthy) and set the hook. (with jig heads its not quite as hard as say with a weedless rigged presentation. I've found that redfish have two things going on; 1) they will hold a bait in their crushers in the back of the mouth and it's hard to move that bait out of there to get the hook set, 2) they don't call them rubber lips for nothing.. those things have some tough skin and it takes a fresh sharp hook to penetrate most of the time.

I would prefer using braid over mono since it doesn't stretch. And reel down the line right after the bite to take out slack, do this by pointing the rod at the fish and take up slack right to the point where the line is about to get tight again.. don't do that far. You have to do this without the fish feeling you or the line otherwise they'll drop it.

Hooks, use sharp ones. Owner twistlock, Gammy, or trokar are my favorites.

With trout the only difference is that while i'm fishing with trebble hooks I just lift up mostly unless I'm fishing with a weedless bait. With weedless rigged swimbait hooks you have to set hard on both trout and reds.

circle hooks are another option with reds using gulp shrimp. A small 1/0 or 2/0 circle is perfect for reds on the flats.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Curious as to how, if you went 0/4, you knew they were redfish. But I digress...

I have been in redfish thick, where they were mud-boiling all around us and we each ended up catching 5 to 7 reds. But my first 3 strikes, I set the hook with a sharp upward motion and there was nothing there. My buddy said, “they are coming at us and hitting from behind the bait, so set it high and hard and then start reeling in for all it’s worth.” The next hit, I did as he said and was hooked up. Those fish were moving at a good pace in the same direction as our baits and when I didn’t feel the weight of the fish on a regular hook set, I let up, which gave them a chance to spit the bait.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have to agree with Tobin. HOOKS! Make sure they are sharp, have a good barb and above all else, make sure you use the right hook. for the bait you are throwing. Some hooks do not come out enough to get a good hook in the flesh. Some get in the flesh but the gap is not as wide and the hook only catches a small part of the flesh. Try a wider gap hook or one that you can bend to make room for the hook to get a good set in the corner of the mouth.
Whether using braid (which sets the hook immediately) or mono (which stretches before tightening to set the hook) you have to set the hook the proper way to get it into the meaty corner or upper pallet of the fish.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

do any of yall sharpen your hooks? how do you go about it if you do?

I figure I can get more life out of my jig heads if I did it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I carry a hook file on my PFD and give the hook a few passes and I'm back in business. Cheap to buy anywhere. I use it if I get hung up as it usually it the worst culprit of making the tip blunt. Hate to change jig heads every time so I use the hook file.
nref55

Post by nref55 »

Hey guys well I always new jigheads, norton screwlock ones, I know they are reds because they run like reds and standing I could see them, two got right by me but spat the hook too. I’ve never sharpened my hooks before, but that’s a good thought I’m using 40lb braid on my baitcaster, I use it for the diameter and 10lb on my spinning. My drag might be too tight. Or I could not be putting enough pressure and not holding the rod to the sky. I’ll try that on my next trip. Lighter drag, rod to the sky. We have mainly flats with few to no things to get stuck on. Mainly grass
nref55

Post by nref55 »

Update caught two today on the baitcaster with a Down South Lure with a steady retrieve, the gulp I was using was a jerkshad. Maybe the slack has something to do with it. But I don’t have trouble with a spinning reel with them...???
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Chubs wrote:do any of yall sharpen your hooks? how do you go about it if you do?

I figure I can get more life out of my jig heads if I did it.
https://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/280

The one above is the one I like although I have other types. Ceramic won’t rust like the ones made with metal.

I sharpen my hooks after every serious oyster strike and check them pretty often. Not a bad idea to sharpen the hook your are using at the outset of an outing. A little corrosion can set in while it sits in the box. You might not be able to see it on the point. Usually, a few strokes with the file will get it done.

Some hooks brands are sharp out of the box and some need help before their first use.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

nref55 wrote:Update caught two today on the baitcaster with a Down South Lure with a steady retrieve, the gulp I was using was a jerkshad. Maybe the slack has something to do with it. But I don’t have trouble with a spinning reel with them...???
Spinning rods tend to be a bit longer. Maybe you are getting a longer arc on your set with the rod tip on the spinning rod covering more distance. Sort of a big tire versus a little tire. Spinning set ups definitely feel and balance differently than baitcasting rigs, maybe there’s something in that. I never really fished a spinning set up in the salt.

Occasionally, fish come undone. Could have been a fluke. One or two bad days of hook sets isn’t a big enough sample size to form a solid conclusion.

Like others have mentioned, reds will take an offering on a run and keep on running towards you. If you don’t see it and don’t get a good feel for the hit, it’s tough to get the timing of the set done.

Gear, rods, hooks, and line and then the guy or gal using it makes a difference. Some days, I tend to set the hook too soon, especially sight fishing. Your reaction times, the force you apply won’t be identical to anyone else’s. The conditions vary day to day and wind will cause slack in line and change casting distances. The more you use the set ups, I bet the better feel you get for them.

A few years ago, I went from using 100% baitcasting set ups to 95% fly rod ones. My experience is that I lose about the same amount of reds on fly gear(which was typically not a lot), but lose significantly less trout and flounder on the fly tackle and this isn’t over one or two trips but many, many outings. But the set, the hooks, the line are so very different between the two it apples to oranges. Spinning and baitcasting comparisons seem more like apples to apples.
nref55

Post by nref55 »

I think you’re right about the rod length. I had that sensation too. I’m going to try and find a longer rod at some point lol.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Really good info from all above.

I would actually go tighter on your drag for a little while. Go ahead and set the hook hard, especially on redfish. They don't call them rubberlips for nothing.

I agree with Charlie and Karstoppo.. .start with a really sharp jighead like a norton or something made with a Gammy or trokar hook, and then check your point through the day and if it gets bent on oyster or rock then use the hook sharpener to tidy that up. Once you hit it with a sharpener that hook is going to be toast for the next trip most likely becuase it exposes the bare metal to the salt.. but it'll last through the day.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

As for sharpening a hook making it toast for the next trip; I know I've read somewhere in the past, sharpen your hooks before the trip and then apply black nail polish to the point to protect it and semi camouflage it.

Anyone do something like that?