When to do the fish return to the marshes?

russellmires

When to do the fish return to the marshes?

Post by russellmires »

From what I can tell, the fish numbers drop dramatically in the marsh flats during the Winter/early Spring. There are still mullet out from what I can tell. Does anyone have any idea when they return? I assume the reds are first. I know there are probably a few stragglers, but when does the fishing pick up enough to have a good chance to catch a few? I'm primarily speaking about the Sabine area, so the water is really fresh for a long time I assume.
TimmyT140

Re: When to do the fish return to the marshes?

Post by TimmyT140 »

Depends on the weather, I guess.

I was catching fish in January, then it got really cold, and I stopped catching anything.

Then it warmed up, but had been flooding up in northeast Texas, and they started releasing water to the Neches. I tried a couple weeks or so back and didn't catch but a couple of small reds, and the water looked terrible. I haven't tried around here since, because the salinity chart on NOAA is still showing completely fresh in the lake, and don't look like it's gonna be changing anytime soon.

There might be some fish down by the jetties, or if you can get to deep water.
Last edited by TimmyT140 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have been only seeing very large mullet and small 2"-3" menhaden lately. It can be productive if you throw the right lure. Need to know if there are smaller mullet they are feeding on or if they are shallow next to grass and shell waiting for tide change to nab some small menhaden and tiny shrimp.
Buggs lures are great in the marsh right now!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Depends on where that marsh is. Some are good right now, others are deserted.

in general, the ones that are deserted right now will become good again late in June or early July. The ones that are good right now will probably become less frequented in June.
russellmires

Post by russellmires »

Nevermind! :D

Went out today and caught this one on a silver spoon. He wasn't the only one I saw so I guess they're back, at least to some extent.
Attachments
Redfish.JPG