Wells Fishing Forecast Accuracy

Gibby

Wells Fishing Forecast Accuracy

Post by Gibby »

For the last 5 years have found the Wells Forecast a valuable tool in understanding tidal movements in the Galveston/Freeport area. This has not been true for 2018. Out of four trips one was spot on, the other three not so much. In addition, observe the prediction for today (3/17/18) that indicates an Outgoing and Incoming tide at the same time. This makes me question the validity of this forecast.
What has been your experience with this forecast in 2018?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Wells Fishing Forecast Accuracy

Post by Neumie »

Never really used Well's, but I know quite a few people who swear by it. I use NOAA for forecasting tides and, more importantly, showing actual measured tides.

All tide forecasting sites are more or less on the same page when high and low tides are going to hit. However, knowing actual, measured tide heights is more important for me. If the the tides are measured 4-6 inches higher than predicted then I want to know that because that is a lot more water available for fish spread out in. 4-6 inches can turn a 20 acre back lake into a 200 acre back lake.
krfish

Post by krfish »

I was introduced to the wells report a couple of years ago. I have found it to be accurate. Pretty good tool to use for a few bucks a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

They all get their raw data from NOAA and the timing of high and low tides is accurate. But wind and weather conditions can often counteract tidal movement on the surface. I have seen strong Northerly winds push surface water out, and still felt the incoming tide at my feet in 3 feet of water. They are all just a guide.

What Wells does is classify the speed of the tidal movement based on the opinion/thought/belief/scientific fact (take your pick) that at certain speeds, baitfish are at the mercy of the tides and that is when predators will most likely feed.

If a wind or freshwater run-off are so great they counteract the tidal movement, it doesn't mean the prediction is inaccurate, just that there can be overriding factors.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Good points Andy.

Plus to add to that, remember these forecast are typically for the passes or jetty cuts unless otherwise noted. I used wells for a long time myself and like it but like Andy said, and especially this time of year weather can overide it quickly.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Just as a little side note, I have two Casio watches (one about 14 years old, the other about 6 years old) that have the tide graphs and peak solunar times displayed on the watch in one way or another. The older one has 1-4 fish on the screen, depending on what the predicted tides were. The other has a tide graphic, like the waves you see in so many tide apps.

You have to adjust the gps points for the bay you are fishing, which takes a while to figure out (even with the owners' instruction book), but they are the same info as Wells, only on your wrist. They both have the capability of looking forward into the calendar, so you can plan ahead.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I have used & benefitted from the Welles tide forecasts, but sad to report they will no
IMG_4798.JPG
longer publish their magazine "Gulf Coast Fisherman." After this month you'll have to go to their internet website to see the tide predictions. No more magazine articles or photos. I expect a lot of folks will give up using the service.
At least Shoffer got his "Personal Best" speckled trout photo in the final issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk