Saltwater Spinning Reels

WSalley58

Saltwater Spinning Reels

Post by WSalley58 »

What Brand/Models are your go to for performance/durability for saltwater use ? Mainly interested in 1000, 2500, 3000, 4000 class Reels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Saltwater Spinning Reels

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I have a shimano Sedona. It works well and didn’t cost a fortune. Might need to replace it this season though since the anti-reverse is locked in place now. Other than that it still works great after about 8 or 9 years of use and abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Shimano reels for me. A couple of Stradics and a Baitrunner
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing ... s?slotId=0

I've been using these and have been really happy with them. I use the 65's for surf and 30's for inshore. I have use the large ones many times for surf but only used the 30's once so far for inshore. I do only go a couple times a year and clean real well after every trip so not sure how they will hold up with repeated use and only occasional cleanings tho. They're on sale right now tho....$39.99 for the 30's.........I may have to buy a couple more at that price!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Can't go wrong with Mitchell's Avocet AVRZ-2000 reel. These little gems cost $30 and they hold up well. Have been using mine for three years now for inshore fishing and have no problem landing upper slot reds. Simply rinse them off with fresh water after each use and you're good to go. Pretty smooth little reels and the best value that I've found.

http://www.mitchellfishing.com/mitchell ... ifications
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've fished an UL Tica Cetus in the salt for 5 years now, and it's held up really well.
A year or so ago, bought a Tica Libra 3000, and have been delighted with it.
https://www.amazon.com/TICA-Libra-Spinn ... merReviews
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Shimano and Okuma
JMS

Post by JMS »

I like Penn Battle II Or Conflict...Purchased a Shimano Stradic last year and like them as well.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I prefer smaller 10/100/1000 series spinning reels due to lighter weight, more compact size and will hold plenty of braided line. I toss a Penn Battle II 1000 and have my eye on the new Conflict 1000.
WSalley58

Post by WSalley58 »

Thanks all for the input! There are a number of suggestions here that I hadn’t considered.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Shimano Sedona. It is the most durable that I have had. I also have an Abu Garcia S but it seems to get sticky and requires a lot more care and attention. I always fresh water rinse my reels after use and the Shimano has been low maintenance and high performance whether taking a beating in the surf or from my kayak. On a similar note, my H2O Express rods from Academy have far outlasted my Waterloo rod as well. The ceramic insert on my Waterloo came loose and the metal eye broke after about 6 months. Same deal, always rinse and dry my rods after use.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I gave up on this fight. I buy online cheap chinese reels in 2-2.5 size and (after few round of cleaning, if I have free time) throw them away once they stop working. $100 worth of reels is typically enough for few seasons. Plus they are very light -- it works very nicely with light rod like $40 Berkeley Lightning (and yet, has enough backbone for bullreds). I use 5'5' rod -- don't see any need for longer one.

Shimano Sedona is nice. I have one.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

So far my Diawa Ballistic is holing up greatly. I also like the smallest size myself ... I think there's is a 2500 and a 28" red on it is a true fight.
Reef Donkey

Post by Reef Donkey »

Shimano for me. My favorite spinner to date from them to date is the 2500FJ, but the 2500 Nasci is earning its keep as well. the Nasci can be had for around a 100 or less on certain sites.
CALopez_1986

Post by CALopez_1986 »

My penn clash 2500 has been money so far

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

On the idea of cheap, (nearly disposable) reels, I say to each his own, but for me, you are better off with a quality reel, taking care of it and having it for 20+ years. I got my first Stradic in the late 90s. Admittedly, I don't use spinners that much anymore, but back then, it saw weekly use at the jetties, one of the most damaging environments for a fishing reel. Besides the fact that the water is salty, the constant splash of waves on the rocks creates a constant mist-spray. And then there's the boat ride to and from. Besides the hundreds of trout, there were bunches of mostly upper slot to over slot reds caught in deep water with the tide to assist the fish. Bay fishing just doesn't compare for wear & tear to the jetties.

That Stradic easily saw 200 days fishing those rocks over about 5 years time and all it ever took was a rinse after each trip and an annual break-down and lube. I have had it nearly 20 years and it still works like new; drag smooth as butter, and not a mechanical issue one, not even a bearing replaced (drag washers replaced 3 times I think, but they are relatively cheap and could have gone longer than I asked of them)
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I have used Shimano reels in the past and I really like their 2500 series.

Last year I bought a 13 fishing Creed K for $50 to try out and I was really impressed. Good drag, smooth, and it's still working even after I turtled my kayak and it was submerged in saltwater.

Granted I took off the spool and washed everything down with fresh water but everything is fine on it.

I would say anything from Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, or 13 should be good.
Landho

Post by Landho »

I also like the 2500 Shimano Stradic. But I will tell you that I won it at a banquet. I was too cheap to buy it outright. I also own a couple of the other cheaper Shimanos, but once you start using something that works better for ya, its hard to go back!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yaklash wrote:... Stradic ...
My friend dunked his (very expensive) Stradic into salt while flounder fishing at SWP -- he kept fishing and when he did get home it was already locked up. Luckily for him he bought "insurance". Cleaning it might've helped, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be as good as new. After that incident I gave up.
TroutSupport.com wrote:So far my Diawa Ballistic is holing up greatly. I also like the smallest size myself ... I think there's is a 2500 and a 28" red on it is a true fight.
I caught 3 bull reds (on artificials!) on a trip to ANWR this winter on Shimano Sedona 2000 -- it is a blast. Third one hit while I was standing on my feet (fishing small drain) -- he almost spooled me, I had to quickly jump into kayak and my buddy pushed me after running fish. By that time I could see metal of my reel under few wraps of line. :-)
WC53

Post by WC53 »

The new diawa fuego LT is pretty nice for under a 1000 bucks. Fishing a 2500 for the past couple months. Also have ballistic, stradik etc. for the money it is tough to beat
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

TroutSupport.com wrote:So far my Diawa Ballistic is holing up greatly. I also like the smallest size myself ... I think there's is a 2500 and a 28" red on it is a true fight.
Crusader wrote:I caught 3 bull reds (on artificials!) on a trip to ANWR this winter on Shimano Sedona 2000 -- it is a blast. Third one hit while I was standing on my feet (fishing small drain) -- he almost spooled me, I had to quickly jump into kayak and my buddy pushed me after running fish. By that time I could see metal of my reel under few wraps of line. :-)
LOL... yeah it's too fun! I was drift sightcasting and hooked that 28in red and I had to manually add a little extra drag pressure. Plus I just like the lighter weight of the smaller rigs right.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I've had a Shimano Sahara 2500 for 5+ years now and for the money I have been pleased with it. I should note that I primarily use casting reels and it was used a lot more in freshwater than salt. For whatever reason, I have been reaching for my spinning reels more lately. Recently, my Sahara will start off fine but get sticky as the trip goes on. I clean the reel regularly and have even replaced some parts with no luck. For the price, it served its purpose and I'm happy with how long it lasted. Last week I replaced it with a Penn Battle 2 based off all the great things I've heard. I haven't been able to use it yet so I can't comment for myself.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

A couple of years ago I had an old combo that was over 20oz total weight and that quickly became like an anchor after a few hours casting. It was then that I began to focus on weight when buying either a rod or a reel!

The rods I use now weigh between 3.8 and 4.9oz. I have normally been pairing these with an Okuma RTX 30S, which has performed well but also weighs in at only 6.6oz. I also have an RTX 25S, also at 6.6oz. These Okumas list for $100 but I have found them for $75-80.
Last year I picked up a Pflueger President xt 30x at Gander Mtn when they closed down and have been happy with the performance of that as well, and it is only 7.6oz.
bing

Post by bing »

i'm a shimano guy but disappointed in their lower end, small spinners. have a few sahara 2500s that looks brand new .. gears sticky after less than a season of reds/trout, one stradic 3000fi that froze on the second trip and was sent back to shimano, they replaced it but didnt last a year.

in contrast, i've used my 4000 sienna for striped bass, reds, trout, kings, smacks, snappers and it has survived 3 years. side note, i fish a couple of times a week both salt & fresh.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I use some sort of Shimano spinning reel that was salt water rated, only cost me about $50 on sale at academey maybe 4 years ago. Paired with a tournament choice rod (old academy brand, I think they've replaced them with "H2O express??"

That combo has been taken to the surf and dunked by waves multiple times. All I do is hose it off after my trips. Still as good as new. But note I only get out about once a month.

I also have a Shakespier rod and reel combo that cost me maybe $30 6 years ago :) The reel took one too many blasts of salt water and the single bearing seized up. Being the cheap bastage that I am, I looked up a sealed stainless steel replacement bearing online and changed it out for maybe $10. The reel once again works, but the flimsy plastic construction is showing it's age (something adds a hesitation to every rotation when I get to a certain point of my hand crank). The rod also has an extended butt - which is a pain in the butt when I try to troll with it. Oddly I've caught almost all my fish on that setup though so I've not tossed it yet cause it's my lucky combo lol

I was discovering my last trip though, that that shakespier combo is heavy, and was tiring my arms out after a few hours at it. But I also had a cold so was getting fatigued a lot easier than normal.

getting your arms tired out though is especially a concern if you are paddle powered.

I suspect whenever I do go for an upgrade it will be for a lighter setup - probably another Shimano of the same model if I can find it.