Visiting the coast during Spring Break

Ryanh1801

Visiting the coast during Spring Break

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Been 2 months since I have been able to fish in the salt so thinking about taking a trip to CC or PA while the wife is off for Spring break. Is it worth it or are the drunk college kids to much to deal with and not worth the trouble? Or any ideas on places that are not as popular but still good for fishing. Will be camping where ever we go.

Thanks
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Visiting the coast during Spring Break

Post by texnomad »

Mustang Island State Park is still closed the least time I checked. I have found the beach areas to be to tough for me during spring break in the past.
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Yes they are. Was thinking probably pins and just hope they have a site available.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I went to Matagorda on spring break about 5 years ago and it wasn't bad during the week but the weekend gets kinda crazy. If you go past 3 mile cut the crowd thins out and you can camp anywhere along the 21 miles of beach there. You will have to have a good 4wd tho and make sure you get a beach permit too.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Last I saw on PINS' website is there are limited campsites available; 15. If you're going to camp on PINS you'll probably only have to deal with traffic around JFK causeway going to/from the island. Bird Island Basin may get a little crowded as does Malaquite Beach, but not your drunken college crowd mostly families.

Are y'all primitive camping or RV/trailer?

I would avoid most locations along 361 from CC to Port Aransas due to heavy traffic. Packery Park would be an OK option if you're out early enough, the nearby flats are nice. Launching from either the boat ramp or Windsurfer's Shack and fishing the drop offs while drifting towards the islands is productive. Dimit Pier is an option from Flour Bluff, paddle NE towards the powerlines and fish there to the Boat Hole.
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Neumie wrote:Last I saw on PINS' website is there are limited campsites available; 15. If you're going to camp on PINS you'll probably only have to deal with traffic around JFK causeway going to/from the island. Bird Island Basin may get a little crowded as does Malaquite Beach, but not your drunken college crowd mostly families.

Are y'all primitive camping or RV/trailer?

I would avoid most locations along 361 from CC to Port Aransas due to heavy traffic. Packery Park would be an OK option if you're out early enough, the nearby flats are nice. Launching from either the boat ramp or Windsurfer's Shack and fishing the drop offs while drifting towards the islands is productive. Dimit Pier is an option from Flour Bluff, paddle NE towards the powerlines and fish there to the Boat Hole.
Gonna be in our popup so trying not to camp with it on the beach although I do have a 4wd truck. Good to know that bird island and malaquite does not get the college crowd. Thanks for the info.