First time fishing Galveston causeway

Fishead69

First time fishing Galveston causeway

Post by Fishead69 »

First time to fish the causeway at night, any recommendations on a basic lure selection to start off with? Also any suggestions on a white light for the yak.
Thanks
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: First time fishing Galveston causeway

Post by kickingback »

You only need a 360 degree light that can be seen from 2 miles away. If you don't have one then carry a spot or flashlight and use it while underway to shine at other boats to signal you are there. Once in the lights throw a popping cork with live shrimp or a jig with a plastic lure like a shrimp or grub. Gulp works well under a popping cork. You can throw a paddle tail in tandem or single. Throw past the light circle and drag it through the light about 2'-4' down. I use Berkley Swim Shad in Firetiger and I tie them in tandem to have two bait presentation. I get double hook ups all the time. Trout is about all you will catch in the lights but a red or occasional hard head or sheepshead can be caught under the lights but a be rare. You can throw top waters and slow sinker lures as well. They work well on bigger trout I found.
Fish one light for 10 minutes or so and if no bite move to the next light. Once you catch one or two from a single light the other trout are probably spooked to another light so just move on to the next light if bite stops. You can come back to that same light later and fish will be back.
Good luck.
Yakety_Yak

Re: First time fishing Galveston causeway

Post by Yakety_Yak »

In addition to this, I like to throw soft plastics (glow in the dark) through the lighted areas. If I go tandem, I go 1/8 oz jighead. If I do single, I will go with a 1/4 oz jighead. I would get an assortment of glow in the dark in regards to size. If you see any bait swimming around, try to match the hatch with your soft plastic (hence the reason for an assortment). The depth kickingback mentioned at pulling your baits through the lights is what I would recommend but sometimes if you are not getting any hook ups or only the smaller ones, try going deeper. I don't like to get too deep though because the bottom is nasty at getting snagged up. Good luck out there and tight lines! :)