Cold weather, heavy stringers

WoodsWaterSky

Cold weather, heavy stringers

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Well, a late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year fellow TKFrs!
It's been a while since I dropped in. With the holidays, hunting, and these cold water fishing trips, I've neglected to check in.
The last three trips out have been great! Each trip began before daybreak with temps ranging between mid 30s to low 40s, for the exception of one. We fished Christmas Bay one morning when winds were supposed to be 4-9 mph, and they were more like 49mph... Ha! We waited until daybreak that morning so we could see the water. It was ROUGH... I took on and drained half the bay getting to the marsh. Once I was in the fishing spot I found gin clear water and a moderate outgoing tide. I worked my way in and the current on one particular bend looked perfect. I picked up 4 reds there, the largest being approx 27 inches which threw the hook just before I got him to the yak. I was done within 20 minutes with a 26, 24, and a 22 on the stringer. Those were the only bites all day, but I was glad to have em.
The second trip was a bit of a grind, but found a limit nonetheless in scattered locations.
The last trip was Jan 6th after the last freeze. We worked to find them, but when we did it paid off. We sat at the mouth of a drain for two hours picking off over 40 reds between my buddy and myself. I caught my limit again that day with the largest being a fat 26 1/2". I later found out when cleaning it that it had swallowed a 10" mullet, and still had an appetite for my plum-chartreuse plastic.

Good luck this year everyone, and I wish all a new PB fish!

WoodWaterSky - Wayne
Attachments
20180106_135112.jpg
22288.jpeg
22270.jpeg
Chubs

Re: Cold weather, heavy stringers

Post by Chubs »

Great trips.
Your 1st one was successful in the bends of a bayou I'm assuming?

Also your 3rd trip sounds like the last one I had at a bayou drain onto a flat - caught 15 (kept 3 of course) and left them biting :) I had to work to find them as well, but when I did it made the whole day (year!) worth it.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Very nice! Congrats on roughing the elements and find 'em! :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report! Thanks for sharing! Stay warm!
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Chubs wrote:Great trips.
Your 1st one was successful in the bends of a bayou I'm assuming?

Also your 3rd trip sounds like the last one I had at a bayou drain onto a flat - caught 15 (kept 3 of course) and left them biting :) I had to work to find them as well, but when I did it made the whole day (year!) worth it.
Yessir! Catching fish with minimal effort can be fun, but catching them when you have to work for them always feels rewarding and much better.
Congrats on your your catch too!