Where to camp/launch?

Six5

Where to camp/launch?

Post by Six5 »

I’m a newbie headed your way next week. My only experience has been this past October south of Venice, Louisiana where the red and trout fishing was amazing.

I’m mostly a trout fly fisherman but I’m not too proud to grab my short rods when necessary. I was hoping to spend a guided day to get things figured out a bit, I’ve got a call in with Slow Ride guides, then I’d hoped to use my porta boat with a 5 hp and a pole to move around and mostly wade fish.

Driving down North Padre and fishing bay side sounds like fun but other than (closed?) Yarborough there doesn’t look like there are too many places to cross the dunes (yep 4wd tundra with popup camper) to camp and fish the bay. Since setting up and breaking down the truck and boat is a hassle I was hoping to not have to travel to a boat ramp every morning, but to camp in one spot for a few days and beach launch. Are there any combo camping/launch spots on either side of the bay?

It looks like many 60 degree days with East or NE 12mph winds, 15% chance of rain. Any ideas on how to fish given the conditions?

Thank you for any ideas. Tight Lines, Six5
Crusader

Re: Where to camp/launch?

Post by Crusader »

I fished SPI somewhere in summer this year -- caught 2 decent size kingfish off jetty (bay side, right before sunrise and right before sunset). Also did pretty well beating edges of channel (trout). I bet with cold weather they are all in holes and channels over there. Launched at S tip of SPI. There is a smaller channel that goes parallel to island N of the bridge -- multiple places to put in (just pick any street that leads to water), but parking space is hard to come by. I bet that channel holds trout right now.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Yarborough Pass is still closed.

You can tent camp at Bird Island Basin at PINS. Fishing there this time of the year is good through March.

Anywhere along 361 between Aransas Pass and Port Aransas you can camp and fish as well.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Along 361 between Port A and Aransas Pass does have some private property that is not open to public use. But the parts that are public are very noticeable. Light House Lakes Park does not allow camping over night in it. From my visit in that area yesterday bring ultra strong mosquito repellent.