Took a spill last night

bigred90gt

Took a spill last night

Post by bigred90gt »

Thankfully, it wasn't from my kayak though. I was fishing from my buddy's pier and my line got tangled with the lady next to me. She reeled in and I was attempting to untie her line from mine (it was a spaghetti mess of a knot) and lost my balance and went right over the pier. It was about 6' from the pier down to the water, and thankfully the water was only about 4' deep, so not too bad. I lost my glasses, my knife, my electronic cigarette. My phone stayed in my pocket, and thankfully so did the keys to my truck. And my keys still worked surprisingly, considering everything is electronic these days. My phone is in a ziplock bag with rice right now, but I'm going on the assumption that it's toast. It was a bit chilly, but not too bad. I was probably in the water for about 7-8 minutes, so no real worry. I swam/walked back to shore about 100 yards away, slipped on the old boat ramp (which was covered in slime) and jacked up my foot pretty good. Shredded 2 of my fingertips on, I'm assuming, barnacles on the pier going in.

All and all, I'm good, in a bit of pain from my foot, a little embarrassed, but no worse for wear. Lessons learned for sure.

1 - phone goes in my fishing bag from now on, and not in my pocket. same with my keys.
2 - never assume you're immune to stupidity. I had a pretty good buzz, was having a good time, and just got too close to the edge and in I went.
3 - Keep the drinking to a minimum. That's the biggest takeaway. The splash sobered me up immediately, but I need to get that under control. it doesn't happen too often that I drink too much, but I do like to have some cold beer while I'm fishing.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: Took a spill last night

Post by Z~MAN »

Hey big red glad u r ok...it could always be worse....take care of those wounds and foot

U will be back at it in no time

salad!

Let's go,fishin....Coco!
Z-man
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Sorry to hear that you went into the drink but glad that you are OK (banged up but OK)!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Drinking and water you can drown in...a great way to wind up on the 10:00 news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have made a few errors in judgement in my day and have chalked them up as learning lessons. Lucky in two cases on the water to have made it out alive. Lessons learned indeed.

I am lucky to have learned about mixing alcohol and fishing in a fairly innocuous incident. Offshore fishing, a long day on the water and not enough non-alcoholic fluids consumed resulted in dehydration and a mild case of heat stroke and the worst headache I've ever had. Never again. The most I'll do now is pop a top when I get to the dock.

Count your blessings. You may pay a monetary price and be in some pain, but barnacles or hard shell could have made it much worse.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Yaklash wrote:I have made a few errors in judgement in my day and have chalked them up as learning lessons. Lucky in two cases on the water to have made it out alive. Lessons learned indeed.

I am lucky to have learned about mixing alcohol and fishing in a fairly innocuous incident. Offshore fishing, a long day on the water and not enough non-alcoholic fluids consumed resulted in dehydration and a mild case of heat stroke and the worst headache I've ever had. Never again. The most I'll do now is pop a top when I get to the dock.

Count your blessings. You may pay a monetary price and be in some pain, but barnacles or hard shell could have made it much worse.
No doubt I’m counting my blessings. The pier sits in a big oyster bed. With the water being 4’ deep, it was deep enough that I didn’t hit bottom on the fall. I walked through the oysters back to the beach. I did catch some barnacles with my hand, butnit just took the bark off of the tip of one finger and put some small slices in the rest. It definitely could have been much worse. And the water temp is in the 60s, so I’m really glad I was within a couple minute walk to shore.