Swan Lake launch

jtharp723

Swan Lake launch

Post by jtharp723 »

Does anyone know what the rules, or etiquette would be for launching from the end of what appears to be a public road. There are several roads that dead end along the West end of Swan Lake in Freeport by the water tower, and while I have been tempted to try one of them as a launch to save the paddle across from the boat ramp, I do not want my truck to get towed or ticketed.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Swan Lake launch

Post by Yaklash »

Look for signs. No signs, pretty likely to be no towing.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I've looked at some of those roads but never put in there. If there is a home close by the end where I have to park next to the home I wouldn't. But that's just my personal rule for myself. There is a road behind the crabbing pier I think you could put in though and be ok, if the tide isn't to low. And of course the boat ramp or even to the left of the ramp if it's not to muddy.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

jtharp723 wrote:Does anyone know what the rules, or etiquette would be for launching from the end of what appears to be a public road. There are several roads that dead end along the West end of Swan Lake in Freeport by the water tower, and while I have been tempted to try one of them as a launch to save the paddle across from the boat ramp, I do not want my truck to get towed or ticketed.
I really don’t know the legality, but I have launched off yucca street a time or two. There’s no houses except by the water tower. It’s pretty much a one or two truck launch max. I’ve driven by and seen a couple of other trucks in there already and I move on. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a problem with Surfside if the hordes start launching there. No one has bothered my truck. It’s a trick to turn around. You wouldn’t want to launch in low or lower water levels or when the tide is expected to really drop as the little shallow channel leads to even shallower stuff in both directions before getting to the deeper water. The launch is a muddy and slippery one unless the water is really up so be prepared for that.

You gain a few minutes getting to the south side of the lake, but the swan lake ramp is convenient to the north side. It’s not like swan lake is some monster lake to get across. My take on it is launch there at your own risk if you want and the water levels look to be enough, but if there is somebody already move on to the swan lake ramp. There isn’t enough gained by launching there have a bunch of folks blocking the very narrow track. Some launches have very limited space and upside and this is one that fits that description.