Rockport next week - Need guide rec

Dangerous Dan McGrew

Rockport next week - Need guide rec

Post by Dangerous Dan McGrew »

I am headed to Rockport next week. I would normally take my kayak and fish, however due to vehicle constraints I will not be taking it. I want to fish and considered renting a powered fishing boat. However, I'm guessing there is still a lot of submerged debris from the hurricane. Caution would prevent me from striking out with an unfamiliar boat because of that.

I'm considering going out with a guide for a day. I would be alone and not able to split the fee with someone else. Price is a factor, but I also realize that you get what you pay for. I would want someone who would be a "teaching guide". My family has a house in Rockport and I want to learn as much about fishing the area as I can, especially if it pertains to kayak fishing. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Even if I don't hire a guide I would appreciate any other advice as to were I could fish down there with out a boat.
Springfling

Re: Rockport next week - Need guide rec

Post by Springfling »

You could consider Slowride Guide Service (the sponsor of the Saltwater forum). I don't have any experience with them, but have heard good things.
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

Check out rockport Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dangerous Dan McGrew

Post by Dangerous Dan McGrew »

Mossyoak20 wrote:Check out rockport Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any contact information for Rockport Ryan? Is he Ryan Anderson?
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Rockport Ryan Ford. He has Rockport Kayak Guide Services, 361-727-9966, or Booking@RockportKayak.com. He does a weekly kayak fishing video every Thursday on Texas Fishing Tips. You can Google it up. Worth watching.

I'm sure Ryan or Dean(Slowride) would do you well. Dean's business(an old two-story house) suffered in Harvey, but he's open and repairing his building. Ryan's fleet of Viking kayaks survived, as well.

Another good service is Aransas Pathways. They do birding and bicycle trails and have put 16 kayak launch sites (including one handicap) in Aransas County. You can see them online and/or pick up a free map of those at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Center in Rockport.

Have fun and catch 'em up! TexasJim in what's left of Rockport
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

There are a number of really good guides in the Rockport area. However, there is no more enjoyable guide, no better teaching guide, no other guide that offers a more fun trip than.......,Dean Thomas (aka, Slowride).
Even if he's booked up, he can recommend someone that will provide the trip of your choice. He had this tall slender blue eyed blond that used to do trips for him that............
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I realize you may have had this pop up at the last minute, but generally speaking, any guide worth hiring is generally booked solid on weekends a month in advance. Weekdays with good tidal forecast are also often booked weeks in advance. Last minute guides I have hired in the past have rarely worked out.

Your best hope is to get a reference from a good guide who's booked for a young, hungry guide who is just getting started and whose still building his client list.