SOT Fishing Kayaks Recommendation

Hopper59

SOT Fishing Kayaks Recommendation

Post by Hopper59 »

Good morning,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a couple new sit-on-top kayaks for inshore fishing/marsh in the Ocean Isle and Sunset area in North Carolina. We target flounder, red fish and trout. There are also times we fish along the sounds along the Outer Banks. We have been using a Tarpon 100 and 120 for several years now.

I know this forum is based on Texas but I wanted to get opinions from others.

We usually spend 6 to 8 hours out on the water so we are looking for comfort as well as maneuverability and speed.

We have narrowed we have narrowed our choices between the Ocean Trident 13 Angler and Wilderness Tarpon 130 X.

I was wondering if there are any pros and cons you can mention about either one of these kayaks and would you recommend one over the other?

Are there others you would suggest?
Thank you for your time.

Have a great day.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: SOT Fishing Kayaks Recommendation

Post by Ron Mc »

They make boats with wide stability for standing, and they make boats skinny, long and wind-cheating for taxi's and sit-down fishing.
To me, a good coast flats boat is a good touring boat, and I like 16' (with a rudder).
I've fished a Tarpon 160 for 9 years, and it's still one of the best hull designs out there.
You can get away with 13', but I wouldn't go under 13' for salt fishing,
Current Designs makes good ABS plastic boats (Kestrel 14'), and Wilderness is now offering the Tarpon in ABS. The advantage of ABS is it's 30% lighter for the same hull, and easier to handle.

My buddy has a new 16' Hobie Mirage (pedal-drive) Revolution, and this is the absolute fastest boat on the flats - untouched by any other boat.

I recommend you don't consider a tandem, because you can't single-hand a tandem in the wind.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Tandem kayaks have been known to lead to expensive divorces.

I've owned three different Wilderness Tarpon16o's. Hard to beat as a do almost anything kayak. That would probably be my choice recommendation unless you have an interest in a peddle yaks (which don't interest me at all).
The Fat Kid

Post by The Fat Kid »

Kayak Kid wrote:Tandem kayaks have been known to lead to expensive divorces.
True story! I've been calling them divorce boats for years.
JMS

Post by JMS »

I have a Cuda 14 which is stable, pretty fast but also heavy. I would recommend trying a demo day in you area and try several types

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Depending on your size, Tarpon 130X or larger. I have a 140 and wish it were a 160, because I am a long, heavy load. But normal sized folks should be fine with 130X or a 140.
SteeleKnight

Post by SteeleKnight »

I have an Old Town Predator MX. Good sturdy kayak that’s easy to stand up in and sight fish.
Miniblue

Post by Miniblue »

I have a Hurricane Phoenix 130 and it has been great for the last ten years. Sadly they don't make it anymore. You should check out the Skimmer. Made in NC
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Well for starters, what do you like and dislike about your Tarpon 100 and 120?
Are you wanting to be able to stand?
What is your budget?
What are your 2 biggest "must haves"?