Sunglasses lens colors.

oarfish

Sunglasses lens colors.

Post by oarfish »

Hi guys and gals. I figured I'd come here first to ask a couple of questions about sunglasses.
1. What's a good color lens for chasing reds and trout in skinny/shallow water?
2. Should mirror lens be a factor? If so what color?
Thanks in advance. Tight lines.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Sunglasses lens colors.

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Amber lens for shallow water inshore works well (polarized). Im not sure that lense coating makes a huge difference although the green mirror is typically what you see.

The grey lens is great for offshore.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Polarized of course but I have been a 60 year fan of medium grey lenses from beach front to back bay. I never fish offshore so I cannot voice an opinion on that. I have noticed others need different tints so try out the tint colors yourself, it may make a lot of difference. For me any variation of yellow is bad wrong.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/perfo ... enses.html

Here’s a link to one of the top makers of angler sunglasses and what lens tints and mirrors they suggest.

I use the Rx 580g in Copper base/Green mirror. That’s what the website suggests for inshore sight fishing and also what my optometrist who also is a bay fisherman suggested. I think the glasses are outstanding for seeing submerged fish, grass, sand, and reef.

The copper base does block out a lot of light so they aren’t the best on dark days or at dawn and dusk.

I would suggest getting glass lenses from a quality maker if they are within the budget. Glass holds up infinitely better than plastic in abrasive environments. Glass is just optically better than plastic. But if you are prone to losing or breaking glasses, then cheaper plastic lenses might be the smart choice. I’ve had my Costas for years and they have been one of the best investments I’ve made for sight fishing.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

At the risk of failing physics again, try to match lens colors with what you are seeking. Amber/copper colored lens let us see same colors easier, has something to do with absorbing that range of color. Please don't flunk me again, doing this from memory.
These amber colors help me see Redfish, brown grasses and stingrays.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

I only sight fish, about 80 days a year, and am never in water over 14" deep. My favorite is the Costa Copper lenses. Next would be amber. I don't know the science but the copper really makes the blue on the reds' tails pop.

Only glass lenses for me! No plastic.

I am not so sure the brand makes much difference if you get glasses with polarized glass lenses. I have Magellans, Maui Jims and Costas. All are very good.

Good luck,