Has hurricane damage affected access to kayak launches in Aransas Pass/Port O'Connor?

Luckee

Has hurricane damage affected access to kayak launches in Aransas Pass/Port O'Connor?

Post by Luckee »

Judging by the posts and reports, it looks like the redfish, trout, and other fishing is still going strong as always! I'm going to be in the area over Thanksgiving and might drop down to the coast if the paddling weather looks good.

Any issues on access, or roads that got blown out? Maybe I am overestimating how bad it was, but it seems wise to ask. Thanks!
Tombo

Re: Has hurricane damage affected access to kayak launches in Aransas Pass/Port O'Connor?

Post by Tombo »

Fish are still here, just that folks that live here have little time to fish due to damage to homes and business. The north winds blew out much of the bay system. Good thing as there was a lot of fresh water. November usually is killer for fishing, in particular flounder.
osorojotx

Re: Has hurricane damage affected access to kayak launches in Aransas Pass/Port O'Connor?

Post by osorojotx »

Luckee wrote:Judging by the posts and reports, it looks like the redfish, trout, and other fishing is still going strong as always! I'm going to be in the area over Thanksgiving and might drop down to the coast if the paddling weather looks good.

Any issues on access, or roads that got blown out? Maybe I am overestimating how bad it was, but it seems wise to ask. Thanks!
I fished POC about a week after Harvey and everything was fine in terms of infrastructure. We even caught some limits.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I seldom make it to RP any more, but I recall one road to access Shamrock Cove had a couple of places where it had either been washed out or was temporarily covered in water (this was a couple of weeks after the storm noted on this site so do a search for Shamrock Access).

Otherwise, it kind of depends on where you want to fish. I fished the Aransas NWR a couple of weeks ago and tho they had damage to buildings, there was access and there were fish.

I'm betting there is plenty of access to parts of Copano, Rattlesnake Point etc. and the road out to Port A is open, so you can access lighthouse lakes, Steadmans and those places there.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we had a weekend trip to Rockport a few weeks ago. We camped in Palm Harbor RV park and did great on Estes, even with the big tides.
Access to LHL and B&R Channel along the causeway is fine, though we had to deal with big tides. (I posted under Camping).
One thing for sure, everyone there is happy to get your business.

The worst result of the hurricane is Cedar Bayou filled in. At ACK demo last month, the Hobie fishing pro said redfish alvelin from the Cedar Bayou spawn had made it all the way into Copano bay ever since the pass was last dredged.

I wouldn't recommend the drive to Rattlesnake Point unless you have 4WD (if it rains, you won't get out)
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

You can see a lot on the Google maps that were photographed right after Hurricane Harvey. I judt got back to Rockport yesterday from a three month long visit in North Alabama expecting lots of troubles. Nope plenty of launch areas .
Luckee

Post by Luckee »

All great to hear, thank you gentlemen! If the winds permit, I'm going to sneak down there and chase redfish. Otherwise it's bassing in the Austin area, which is pretty far from a sharp stick in the eye.

Hope things are recovering for people down there. Selfishly, I hope the little fried chicken place near the HEB in Ingleside is still in business; they do a combo gizzards/livers serving that is about all I ask after a good hard day of paddling :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the Thai restaurant in Ingleside is pretty good, too.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Made a run along 361 down to LHL. Access will be a little different but still as usable. For example a favorite parking spot is now shallow mud but a few feet away was excellent parking. I fished the channel and had several strong bites from the shore. I will be back there this weekend.