Size of Bait in the Bays Right Now?? - Fall 2017

EPerez

Size of Bait in the Bays Right Now?? - Fall 2017

Post by EPerez »

What is the general size of the shrimp and baitfish y'all are seeing in the bays right now?

My usual hunting grounds are around Palacios. So mostly mud/shell bays and marshy/grassy areas occasional creek or slough.

I used to get to the water about once a week but the past year I really have been slackin.. So now I have no clue what size the bait is about now. I'm trying to think of what size lures, presentations and flies to get together for the next month or so.

Thanks for any help.
Springfling

Re: Size of Bait in the Bays Right Now?? - Fall 2017

Post by Springfling »

I was in Christmas Bay/Churchill marshes area yesterday afternoon. It seemed like with every paddle stroke a half dozen small white shrimp would jump out of the water where my paddle went in. About 1 inch in length. They may have out-numbered the mosquitoes.....NAH!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Mullet range from finger size to horse mullet size. White shrimp are definitely on the move to the Gulf and the browns will be next. There are still a ton of first year sheepshead (3 to 4 inches) and the piggy persh are tending to the 3 to 4 inch size as well. First year croaker are pushing 5 to 6 inches.

At this point in the season, the new crop is generally medium to large size for their year model of the species.
EPerez

Post by EPerez »

Springfling wrote:... a half dozen small white shrimp would jump out of the water where my paddle went in. About 1 inch in length...
Awesome! So I'm thinking shrimp flies and white/olive clousers about that big. And...
Yaklash wrote:Mullet range from finger size to horse mullet size. White shrimp are definitely on the move to the Gulf and the browns will be next. There are still a ton of first year sheepshead (3 to 4 inches) and the piggy persh are tending to the 3 to 4 inch size as well. First year croaker are pushing 5 to 6 inches.

At this point in the season, the new crop is generally medium to large size for their year model of the species.
Some good sized deceivers? I suck at tying so I try to keep it simple. I will also employ my newly purchased Trout Support lures!
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

huge horse mullet in the surf especially bolivar flats... 14" plus... lot of 2-5 in ch shrimp around san leon and seabrook and tons of finger mullet out there right now too pretty much everywhere
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah I’d go with small baits and for sure flies that are shrimplike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk