Anahuac Refuge?

therocket37

Anahuac Refuge?

Post by therocket37 »

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a little insight on the water condtions in the refuge area/back of east bay. I'm going to be back in town kayak fishing over the weekend and the refuge is one of the locations I'm considering. I'm sure the salinity is pretty low back there but has anyone tried it recently? Any reports? Thanks for the help, feel free to PM me. Thank you!!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Anahuac Refuge?

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I haven't been but it should be ok by now as close as it is to the pass and since we havn't had any more substantial rain.
Should be ok, and maybe better than ok fishing.
therocket37

Post by therocket37 »

Thanks Tobin, I've been looking at the salinity readings/maps and they're showing almost all of east bay aside from south shoreline near rollover to be pretty fresh, like 4-6 parts per thousand or whatever vs 14-16 in west bay.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

The salinity now-cast (link below) shows it is fine. Plenty of salinity for trout and the reds and flounder wouldn't really care either way. It's all about the bait and I got nothing current on that. Usually about mid October, white shrimp are flowing towards Rollover and the schools of small trout and gulls right along with them. I spent a few nights fishing lights in the Mid-Coast and there were tons of white shrimp in the lights, so they are on their way out for sure.

I am not sure there are any numbers of flounder at Anahuac yet, but after this next front, I'd guess that Robinson would have dumped a few dozen out at the very least.

That place is nearly impossible to figure as far as water clarity. I can't tell you how many times I've made that drive with every indication that it should be good, only to pull up to chocolate milk.

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/o ... ty_nowcast