Front Passage / marsh levels

Springfling

Post by Springfling »

Looks like a big outrush of water following the front passage. Water levels at SLP pre-front were ~1.5 ft above predicted level and are now slightly below. Would be interesting to see that change occurring at marsh drains.
TexasJim

Re: Front Passage / marsh levels

Post by TexasJim »

I was wondering whether the front would kick-start the flounder run?

TexasJim
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I was gigging flounder last Wednesday night/Thursday morning with a guide. He said that the first front that drops the water level more than a foot and a half is when the first flounder start to exit the marsh. The big flounder don't budge until the first "Arctic" front, but the normal leave with that first fron that drops the tides significantly.

These gigging operations do guided trips but are mostly commercial anglers, seeking flounder for the wholesale seafood market. He is desperately hoping that this front will kick them into gear because he only has a little over a week to go before gigging is shut down for a month.
Endo

Post by Endo »

The tide/water levels were as high as I've ever fished this weekend in Corpus Bay systems. I'd have estimated 2-3 feet above a normal high tide levels.

Fishing was really tough this weekend for us, the high water I'm guessing had all the redfish very scattered. Normal patterns were off. Trout seemed easy enough to find if that was your target. I mostly target redfish though.

On Sunday the flats were emptying fast. Current was really strong as the flats emptied. I thought it would have been killer for reds and flounder gathered at the drainages, but nothing. Water was still too high I guess, but it was ripping strong.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Another front coming through this week and then again on the weekend. Hopefully tide levels will drop in the marshes all over. They were higher than I’ve seen in a loooonnng time last weekend. I’ll head out Friday and give a report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Another front coming through this week and then again on the weekend. Hopefully tide levels will drop in the marshes all over. They were higher than I’ve seen in a loooonnng time last weekend. I’ll head out Friday and give a report.
Last year's Harvest Moon - Equinox combination made for even higher tides at the fish camp on Lane Road. This year was up to about a foot below the top of the boat ramp. Last year was up into the parking lot a good 8". We always have higher than normal tides this time of year. Which\ is why when a 20 mph NW wind comes a blowin', the bay estuaries empty. The one yesterday was relatively mild, but should help kick it off. The front this weekend should be even better.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Spot on.

Any amount of drop will certainly help push the bait out of the marsh and into the bays. Should see more flounder catches as well as more 'birds' working in the bays. Although, what I say about the bird action is 'friends don't let friends chase the birds'. at least not in open water anyway. If you're in the marsh on on a flat just outside the marsh and you see a couple gulls hovering then thats a different story.

As long as the wind direction holds for this next front it should help some more water get out of there. Yesterday it hit here in Mn.. (yes, I'm on a working trip) and was ripping hard NW. That can change over 1200 miles. Be back soon.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Say “howdy” to the Lindner boys, donchaknow!

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Looks like the water levels are starting to get back to normal (according to the Galveston Railroad Bridge station - follow link below and scroll down to actual vs predicted heights). The actual levels have been running around 2' above predicted for a while but are starting to converge.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stati ... id=8771486
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Hot damn! Nice and cold this morning! Next one rolls through Friday. Word on the reefs is the all-you-can-eat shrimp fest is about to open. Anticipation among the fishes is higher than when those idiots line up to buy the latest sneaker for $1,000 a pair. Time to put some fresh lime on the spools and start polishing the fat boys.
Thanks for posting the link Drifting Yak. My old bookmark for that site went down last week and I feared the NOAA had been shut down.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yeah, Cuervo----The Rockport tide/weather station(RCPT2) got hammered by Harvey. At 11:00PM, it was reading 105 MPH. At 11:30 PM, it read zero! That was the eye of Harvey. The station went off-line shortly after (2nd eye wall)and hasn't been on since. I really miss the every-thirty-minute updates on tide and wind. I e-mailed the NDBC and asked if it would be back, and got no answer. Due to funding cuts, I'll bet it won't ever be back. There is no other station that gives us the real tide status in the Coastal Bend bay system. I used it every day.
TexasJim
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I fished the cold pass and surrounding areas last Saturday, and the tide was crazy high... We managed a few trout and sandys early along our way to the marsh and when the sun came up, it was over...
I hooked a croaker while it tried to steal my gulp, and my buddy got lucky and landed a 25in red, along with a nice lady fish. The marsh was unproductive, though we got a few hits here and there, no matter what we threw.
I fished marsh areas of Christmas Bay that I have never seen submerged.
Years ago I caught a 6 1/2 flounder in the same area about this time, so ya never know what to expect.
I'm gonna let my rods rest and pick up the bow and sharp sticks and chase things in the woods for a while. I'll be on and off the water now and again. Good luck to all in your salty endeavors!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The front is supposed to hit my spot about 8 or 9 tomorrow morning. I’m going out to meet it head on and give it what for! I pray that the fishing gods see honor in my battle and side with me. If I survive, a report will follow.

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Say “howdy” to the Lindner boys, donchaknow!

Yaaaahhh, yaknow. ;-)

On my way back saturday... Al will have to wait another year. LOL.
Springfling

Post by Springfling »

I explored Churchill marsh area yesterday (report to come). It was nice to actually see the various channels, shell, etc. in the marsh, rather than an expanse of water with tips of marsh grasses sticking up.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

On my way home now because mrs. Cuervo is making a pizza. Tides are down a foot from last week. The winds are kicking, the temperature is dropping, and the pressure is skyrocketing. I’ll post my report when I’m home and fed.

redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Hot damn! Nice and cold this morning! Next one rolls through Friday. Word on the reefs is the all-you-can-eat shrimp fest is about to open. Anticipation among the fishes is higher than when those idiots line up to buy the latest sneaker for $1,000 a pair. Time to put some fresh lime on the spools and start polishing the fat boys.
Thanks for posting the link Drifting Yak. My old bookmark for that site went down last week and I feared the NOAA had been shut down.

I first thought this was a typo. Then I thought, maybe he does put fresh lime on his reels. Then I wondered if lemon would work.

I must be tired, hopefully the 'stros can hit a couple in the bottom of the ninth and I can go to bed.

***edit*** Gonna need more than a few runs now.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/water ... id=8771013

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physo ... id=8771013

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/water ... id=8772447

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physo ... id=8772447

Water levels below predicted at Eagle Point and Freeport, more so at Eagle Point.

About a 10 degree difference in water temperatures, shallow water cools off a lot faster.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

With another front coming in Wednesday, I’m curious to see how the record high temps here on the upper coast are counteracted/affected. For now, I’m heading to the marsh to see what’s what. A retort will follow the day’s adventure.

Springfling

Post by Springfling »

I ventured out yesterday afternoon. The water levels are tracking very close to predicted (at SLP). And it seems since water is not stacked on top of water these days there is much more noticeable current. Big water exchanges happening in marshes. Had a handful of reds and flounder come visit me. :)
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Water was definitely moving more today. And the troots appreciated it. I’ll post my report when I get home and shove food down my throat.