TSL Grasswalker Review

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: TSL Grasswalker Review

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Jon Fournerat in Louisiana is giving them a work over.
Attachments
IMG_8676.JPG.jpeg
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Jon Fournerat in Louisiana is giving them a work over.
:lol: :lol: Reminds me of bass fishing
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

Not that I should be your go-by on this, but I have used several different point of connection to these lures. I have used two different types of speed clips, a loop knot and Palomar knot. I used the Palomar that once, because I was fishing over heavy shell and I needed as strong a knot as I could get in case I needed to pull some shell up off the bottom (which I did). The Palomar knot would have limited the action of the lure if I had been walking the dog, but I was jigging it straight up and a slow, shaking descent so it was not a problem
As usual, great information...thanks!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

You're welcome Aggie.
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I was fishing the canal lights the other night. I put the TSL to work and it did not disappoint. The action of the lure and how slow it can be worked, greatly aided in keeping the lure in the light longer.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Right on!

While I didn't design it for the lights (I mean, who needs to specifically design a bait for the lights? ;-) the thing actually works really well there, especially if the fish are finicky or all your catching are fish on the smaller side. That bait will pull the keepers out to eat! try just a super slow straight retrieve in the lights.. they think it's a mullet trying to sneak across or lost it's school and ... well you get the picture.

try it on the flats for reds and trout there too, but getting used to it in the lights is a good plan as well.

t
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I forgot to add that I did land the bigger fish of the night on the TSL. I was also using Chickenboy's Bubba Clucker in the clear with gold or silver glitter and those were doing well too but they are a smaller bait and I was catching some undersized fish with that. Everything that I caught on the TSL was a keeper and in the 18 to 22 inch range. I was using the bone diamond color TSL.
crusher

Post by crusher »

I found the trout back in January with the white/bone colored TSL in a gut draining pretty clear water from a marsh lake during outgoing tide. Worked it slow near the bottom with just some occasional soft twitches. I think it was a couple 15"ish and a 22" all from the one gut maybe 3 feet deep or so. For the situation, it was the perfect bait.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

That's awesome guys!!! keep at it. Also, the longer you use it the better you'll get with it. Keep at it.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

The word is spreading
This was pretty cool. Other notes have come in from both fresh and salt water. As the water warms and the wind starts to rip up the grass, it's gonna be an awesome tool to have. He outfished his dad in La on redfish.... TSL against shrimp... WOW (Now don't get me wrong... I'm not about hype and I know live shrimp will be eating by all, but it's an interesting statment about how he was able to work the lure in such a way as to draw the strikes from the fish).
Attachments
IMG_2884.PNG
IMG_2881.PNG
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Any of ya'll read Texas Saltwater fishing mag? Read the stories written about 'Bodie' my Martin Strarup? He used the Grasswalk yesterday in west matty on most of these fish. They also released 2 trout that were over 25 that were caught on it. They did caught another on on a mirrodine, and a couple fish on another soft plastic. Good to see it getting it done. Martin really likes the bait.
Attachments
Martin and Son West Matty.jpg
Martin and Son West Matty.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Well all these threads work, just placed an order for a few packs for my trip next week to southern LA( hope I didn't order too late) . Can't wait to get them in.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Ryanh1801 wrote:Well all these threads work, just placed an order for a few packs for my trip next week to southern LA( hope I didn't order too late) . Can't wait to get them in.
As important as anything is the right hook and/or hook tuning. Be sure to check the Troutsupport website for Tobin's videos on the bait, but especially on hook selection and, in some cases, tuning. VMCs EWG Swimbait hooks need no tuning, but I have only found them at FTU or on-line.

I would also suggest you get some belly weights. I have only had need for added weight in a few cases and I have, up to now, used the weighted version of the hooks I use, but I have belly weights too and they can be added to any brand of EWG Swimbait hook.
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Yaklash wrote:
Ryanh1801 wrote:Well all these threads work, just placed an order for a few packs for my trip next week to southern LA( hope I didn't order too late) . Can't wait to get them in.
As important as anything is the right hook and/or hook tuning. Be sure to check the Troutsupport website for Tobin's videos on the bait, but especially on hook selection and, in some cases, tuning. VMCs EWG Swimbait hooks need no tuning, but I have only found them at FTU or on-line.

I would also suggest you get some belly weights. I have only had need for added weight in a few cases and I have, up to now, used the weighted version of the hooks I use, but I have belly weights too and they can be added to any brand of EWG Swimbait hook.
Just watched the videos this morning after ordering. I have some weightless already that I will bend like in the videos, what weights do you suggest that I buy as well?

Thanks
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Academy has a couple of brands, but I don't remember what brand I got.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

LocoSeamonkey wrote:I forgot to add that I did land the bigger fish of the night on the TSL. I was also using Chickenboy's Bubba Clucker in the clear with gold or silver glitter and those were doing well too but they are a smaller bait and I was catching some undersized fish with that. Everything that I caught on the TSL was a keeper and in the 18 to 22 inch range. I was using the bone diamond color TSL.
I was just going to ask for recommended TSL color for lights, but you already answered :)

I'm going to try out lights (if they are on!!) using spec rig and also a TSL bone diamond.

Question - do you shine your headlamp at the lure before you toss it to get it brighter - or just let it glow with whatever ambient light it's collected?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I usually "charge" my Bone (Glow) Diamond up with whatever light I have. The pier lights at Shoalwater make that thing glow like the radioactive rod from the Simpsons
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Check out Derek Chang of Corpus with these Bone Diamond TSL fish.. He's been catching solid 23s and 24's on the he said.
Attachments
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Well got to try these out down in Grand Isle this weekend. First of all I will say they do cast great and the action is pretty cool. However I didn't do to well with them. Only luck I had was at night using the white off a lighted dock. Managed two trout with them. Fishing of the yak did not get any hits with the different colors I bought, but to be fair 90% of the fish caught were on top water and that seemed to be the ticket to what they wanted this weekend. I will give them another try when I get back down to CC.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I bought the TSL lures when they first came out last year. I used them a few times with some sucess, but I really didn't have much confidence with them. After hearing all the great reports, and knowing they were designed for shallow grass flats like I fish in Aransas Pass, I decided to give them another shot. Yesterday I threw a single chicken on the chain Grasswalker all morning. I landed 6 Redfish up to 25inches and three trout including my new pb a 26 incher. I also missed a few other fish but I imagine with time that number will go down.

Before the Grasswalker, my go to for these shallow grassflats was a down south lures paddle tail on a 1/16 oz jig head or weedless swimbait hook. The problem is, I have a hard time throwing the weedless version very far and with a jig head you have to reel high and fast to avoid grass. I could easily chunk the Grasswalker, and it is completley weedless allowing me to work the lure at a slower more natural pace. In summary, I'm hooked on these lures and can't wait to use them again.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Congrats Zach.. great work on the reds and the PB Trout. Props.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

This just in from Brian Adams... no really that's his name. SpecRig006 on another board full of boaters. He used the TSL in east bay over the weekend. Bone diamond.
Attachments
IMG_3139.PNG
IMG_3136.PNG
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Longest Trout I've seen caught on it. Maybe the biggest so far. Pretty dang close to 30"

One of my customers that loves the TSL Grass Walker. He sent this photo from Rockport area on Sat... This could be the longest / biggest fish caught on it so far outweighing several I've caught on it by 5 oz or so.

He said 'hair under 30 inches and almost 9lbs. That's a Pig!
Attachments
FullSizeR.jpg
Clayton Thomas.jpg
Trbrmc

Post by Trbrmc »

Just ordered three packs to try these babies out! Thanks for the in depth review.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Another solid trip from a customer in Galveston... Mike Lansford. Mike owns an Independent Insurance Counselors in Alvin area dealing with a lot of different things from workers comp to home and auto and personal ins. anyway.. here's what he said
Attachments
Screenshot 060318.jpg