Weekday fishing

david.thackeray

Weekday fishing

Post by david.thackeray »

Fairly new to to saltwater fishing but I'm hooked! I've been fishing around TCD and Moses lake recently but wanting to give the marshes a go. Anyone here fish during the week? I get a lot of week days off and I'm looking for people to go with from time to time. I've fished fresh water most my life so I'm not entirely new to fishing just trying to learn the other side of it. I've had some luck with live bait but wanting to start using artificials more to target some flounder and redfish. Who's with me?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Weekday fishing

Post by kickingback »

May I suggest Pierce Marsh for a starter area. Many new kayakers find that marsh area good to fish. You can launch at Luis Bait Camp and it's about 1 mile to the marsh. There is a bridge you go under to get to the marsh and it holds flounder, trout and other fish at times so stop and fish the area dragging plastics along the bottom or near bottom for some strikes.
There is a marsh area before the bridge on the right and some people have been pulling flounder from the new grass line areas they put in last year. You can see them from the road while driving to Luis bait camp.
Once you go under the bridge fish the areas to the left and right where it slopes from the deep middle. Flounder and trout hang out here at times.
Bring some Gulp for flounder. A simple tandem rig with jig heads on each tandem and a Gulp shrimp or mullet on the heads. Lots of fish bite and hang on to Gulp so always have some when you go out.
For trout and reds Gulp will work but some plastics make "wakes" or have rattles to help draw the fish to bite so get some different type plastics that you feel comfortable with and rig them weedless to go over shell or grass and regular to throw deep or trolling. You can always troll with a gold spoon as it always catches many kinds of fish.
Study Google Maps and use the history slider at the top of the program to see images from years past and when the water was low to show you the best route in the marsh as well as deep areas that you want to throw a lure into.
Your best bites will be on an outgoing tide as it forces the small bait from the grass and shell. Go to tides 4 fishing web site and see when the tides are moving. Plan your launch around the tides and you will be good to go!
I usually fish during the week as I hate the crowds and "weekend warriors" that don't see kayaks very well as they are in a hurry to get somewhere fast as they can't fish for long on the weekends. It's a mad house I avoid. I fish mostly night time or very early morning for about 12 hours each trip I go on. I like to maximize my time on the water as it is 1.25 hours drive from home to shore. I'll ping you sometime when I go to the causeway to catch a few trout and then Tiki for some reds, flounder and trout in t he lights. Times vary so I will let you know. Good luck!
W.A.

Post by W.A. »

Thanks for this overview. Awesome! Didnt have the best luck in Pierce yesterday though, its really flooded and east wind picked up. Definitely going to use some of your tips.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Moses isn't bad this time of year.
david.thackeray

Post by david.thackeray »

Thanks for the info! I've been hearing a lot about pierce marsh. I'll definitely give it a try. I also drive over an hour to get out there so I usually try too make a day of it when I can. Hit me up some time if our schedules work we'll make a trip.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk