New trick for the Lights

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

New trick for the Lights

Post by Yaklash »

My brother just came back from a few days fishing down near Seadrift where there's a lighted private pier on the ICW. I have thrown a few lures off of there, but am usually concentrating on "other" water when I am down. But he offered up a trick one of his neighbors taught him Saturday night. The neighbor took one of my brother's Glow DOA Shrimp, the biggest one they had, without any weight and stood on the pier, not casting, just hanging the lure down in the water & dancing the shrimp around the surface in the lights. Whenever a small trout would come after it, he'd yank away the lure then set it right back down and dance some more. Here's the secret, whenever the dink trout seemed to turn and swim away, he'd drop the rod tip & and let it sink. My brother said 4 times out of 5 he'd pull up a 17"-20" trout. The theory is the splashing and darting of the small trout attracted the bigger trout, but the bigger trout won't come all the way to the surface. But when the little trout left the scene, the guy new the bigger trout was starting to hone in on the action and he would let the bait sink. Bingo!!

I'm headed down there Wednesday for a few days myself, and will be trying this out just for kicks.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New trick for the Lights

Post by kickingback »

That is an awesome trick! I find the bigger ones below the smaller ones in the lights I fish. I try to fish all levels but not all bigger ones will bite all the time. That trick would make it better odds! I like! :clap:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: New trick for the Lights

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote:That is an awesome trick! I find the bigger ones below the smaller ones in the lights I fish. I try to fish all levels but not all bigger ones will bite all the time. That trick would make it better odds! I like! :clap:
Just not sure it would work from a kayak or any position other than directly overhead.