Bird Island Basin

SteeleKnight

Bird Island Basin

Post by SteeleKnight »

Good afternoon TKF,
I'd like to take my Boys Wade Fishing to Bird Island but am not familiar with that area as to where and where not to fish. Could someone point in a direct to wade out to? Thanks J
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Bird Island Basin

Post by Ron Mc »

there is a lot of soft bottom stepping in every where there, and a deep hole, but you should be able to find most of what you need on this map - use the layers
http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html

Not bad wading right along the JFK causeway , and also Mustang Island SP
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

from NPS website: Bird Island Basin Campground Damage
Hurricane Harvey caused significant erosion at the Bird Island Basin Campground. The campground was entirely closed, but some repairs have been completed. Currently 15 sites are back in service. Check back for further updates. The area is open for day use
Probably some serious bottom contour changes around BIB so check with the rangers for latest information.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I wonder if Malaquite beach camground was affected.. its just a little further down.

As for wading, as long as you go north above the BIB boat cut, you should find all the wading you like and the bottom should be fine. There is a good complex of sad pockets a little further out in waste deep water in that area as well. That said, the tide has been high so that might be chest deep now.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The Nps website says malaquite campground is fine but the beach had erosion up into the dunes that can make driving difficult for awhile yet.