pedal drive or trolling motor??

the fish finder

pedal drive or trolling motor??

Post by the fish finder »

should i buy a new compass or pescador pilot for under 2000 or upgrade my pescador pilot with a trolling motor?
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: pedal drive or trolling motor??

Post by RealBigReel »

I don't have a Hobie kayak but I have the Mirage drive. I like not having to register and pay the tax etc and not having to charge a propulsion battery.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have the PA14 and a 24lb TM. I use it when I go on long trips overnight to not wear myself out. Do not mind spending the $60 a year for the convenience. Only draw back is my 100 AH battery weighs 70 lbs! My ass is always dragging in the water...lol
I always carry my mirage drive even when I use the TM so I can get back if the TM conks out.
the fish finder

i dont think i can add a pedal drive to the pescador so i guess youre saying buy the compass (or pilot) and then add a TM later?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

my buddy left ACK demo days this month with a 16' Revo ordered. Brand new boat, not a demo, last year's model (only difference is the color, which I think is mango yellow).
He got one-third off on the price, and it was a deal he couldn't walk away from...($1600)

He has 5 other boats, but with all that has never had a good flats boat - until now.
Don need no steenkinga motor
the fish finder

dayum thats a deal
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

If you put a side-mount on, you can add a trolling motor for about $100.00. (30 lb MinnKota ) Add a battery for another $35.00 to $75.00 and you own a fully equipped mini-motor boat. Yes, you have to register it.

Bottom line is, it is a mighty cheap way to find out if that is what you want to do. If you don't like it after a month or so, you can get half of the money back that was spent on the TM and the battery by selling them.

richg99

p.s. I don't know of a SOT kayak that cannot be adapted to use a side-mount Trolling Motor.